E-M1 and 7.5mm - Focus Peaking and Magnify

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by TwoWheels, Dec 5, 2015.

1. TwoWheels

TwoWheels Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    Evan
    Is there any trick (or perhaps something obvious that I'm missing) that will get focus peaking and/or magnification working on my E-M1 with the 7.5mm fisheye? I don't have any trouble with it on my GM1, but neither seems to work on my E-M1. It would be nice to actually focus with some certainty as opposed to guessing.

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, you can assign a button to peaking, and another button to multi-function (which includes magnify).

Barry

3. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Just assign magnification and peaking to buttons - EM1 has enough of them.

4. TwoWheels

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    Evan
    I guess I wasn't entirely clear. It's not a setup issue. I can't get those two functions to work at all with that lens. I have no problems with my other lenses. With the 7.5mm on the camera, I go into the menus (I'm still trying to figure out how I want to set up the camera so I haven't gone through the process of assigning all the buttons yet) and turn on the functions and nothing happens. I go into the custom menu, MF assist and turn on focus peaking and magnify and nothing happens.

5. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    MF assist won't work with electronicsless 7.5 FE..

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  6. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    If you go into your Custom Menu > A *AF/MF > MF Assist and turn 'on' for both Magnify and Peaking, that should activate those functions when shooting manual focus lenses.

7. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    MF Assist = Chose a mode when the focus ring is rotated in MF mode.
    Irrelevant for pure mechanical lenses.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    As already said, "Focus assist" is used automatically only for AF lenses. For other lenses you need to assign function buttons to peaking and another to magnify.
    I think there is no menu where you can turn on/off this two functions (like you can do for the digital tele-converter for example), so I think you are just telling the camera to enable these features as soon as an electronic MF activity is detected.

9. TwoWheels

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    Evan
    That seems to be the solution. I assigned it to a button rather than trying to access it through the menu and it works! That is completely puzzling to me as it seems that activating a function should make it work regardless of whether it's done through a menu or a button. :coco: Regardless, it works and that's what I need. Thanks for the help, everyone.

10. Raptor7

Raptor7 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2014
    Madrid, Spain
    I have the 7.5, and the focus peaking only works if it is activated from an assigned button. It's that easy.

The lens has no electronic contacts, so the camera doesn't know if it is focusing or not. You have to tell it, with a button, that you want to focus and use the peaking.

11. TwoWheels

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    Evan
    Ok...I get it now and it makes sense! I guess you just have to tell me the same thing four different ways before I understand it. :shakehead:

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    What the "MF Assist" setting does it enable focus assists when the camera detects that you are manually focusing a lens. For example, you wouldn't want magnification to be active 100% of the time, but by enabling magnification for "MF Assist" the camera will automatically magnify the view when you start manually focusing the lens. When you've stopped manually focusing the lens, it reverts to the un-magnified view.

The limit here with the fisheye lens is that the Samyang/Rokinon doesn't have electronic communication with the camera -- so the camera will not know when you are manually focusing the lens. Because of this, the "MF Assist" setting will not be triggered by your lens.

You've already found the solution, just providing some explanation for why the solution is necessary :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Unfortunately, you cannot assign MF Assist to the button, so two buttons have to be used - one for peaking and one for magnification.
    And before you left, assigning peaking to any button will make EVF Frame Rate refresh function unavailable.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    I've never ever 'focused' with a 7.5 FE, with that DoF who needs to.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

For close-ups you still do.

• Agree Agree x 5
  16. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Agree, and I never really "got" the fisheye (BCL-9) until I started to do close-ups.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Yes, one way to have a lot of fun with a fisheye is to get right up into people's faces, try odd angles. Perhaps not with total strangers on the street ;) but for parties and family get togethers, make people uncomfortable with your closeness and catch some unique fun shots.

23481626512_34d55db7df_z. 2015.07.29-13.24.34 by Patrick, on Flickr. Taken with the 9mm Oly Body Cap Lens.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1