1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

E-M1 & 75/1.8 meets Special Olympics Tennis

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Huff, Dec 22, 2014.

1. Huff

Huff Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2014
    Mike
    Well, I think I'm finally getting into the groove with the E-M1. Last week, I added a 75/1.8 to the lens collection and I can say with no reservations I really love this lens! As many others have said, it's easily among the sharpest lenses I've ever used. I think we are going to get along just fine :)

I'm also feeling a bit more comfortable with the capabilities (and limitations) of the new body. Continuous focus (IE; servo mode) is really bad. My keeper rate for those attempts was very low. That said, the ones it did nail it did so admirably. Single focus mode was fast, but often not fast enough to keep up with moving amateur players.

I am honored to do some volunteer work for Special Olympics. The Southern California branch recently held their Fall Games, which is the last big event before the World Games in Los Angeles next year. For sports, I have a strong back ground in bat & ball sports at all levels and was hoping to shoot some softball, but we go to where the need is. I've never really shot tennis before, but there I was. I shot the day using the E-M1, the 75 and the 12-40/2.8 next to a Mark IV with either a 300/2.8 or a 70-200/2.8. Here are a few shots that I think show just how capable the Oly combo can be. With the exception of 1 of these, all images are SooC except for crop. Reach of the 75 was limiting at times.

• Like Like x 7
  2. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    Very nice shots!

3. zathras

zathras Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2014
    Waikato, New Zealand
    Chris Nielsen
    Interesting you didn't have luck with c-AF. Mine seems to work very well. Recent airshow took nearly 4000 photos and all but about 50 were in focus. Different type of action I suppose.

4. Huff

Huff Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2014
    Mike
    I'm not opposed to believing it's error on my side. This is something I intend to explore in more depth. I've shot a fair number of airshows, and I would suspect it's a different type of movement. While fast, an aircraft path is fairly predictable and there are also minimal distractions in the air to pull focus. I found it really struggled to keep up with the quick movements in tennis. I hope I can get better results with further usage. In this case, I simply reached for the Mark IV because I -had- to get some shots and not experiment.

EDIT: I was looking back, and it seems that I was using Caf-tracking mode. Not sure if this was the root of some issues or ?? Maybe C-AF will work better?

-mike

• Like Like x 1
  5. fotomatix

fotomatix Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2011
    Canada
    Definitely the next lens to compliment my 12-40mm f2.8 will be the 75mm. It's the glass that let's you dismiss or easily forget the limitations of the cropped sensor in producing creamy bokeh. Now priced close to $700.

6. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Kevin
    I feel the 75 focuses slower than other olympus lenses, at least on my EM5. Especially compared to the 12-40/2.8.

7. zathras

zathras Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2014
    Waikato, New Zealand
    Chris Nielsen
    Definitely do not use C-AF + Tracking, mine is absolutely insane, it wanders off continually. Also I make sure i use the centre grid of 9, and disable face detect.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Huff

Huff Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2014
    Mike
    No argument from me on that one. I started with the 12-40/2.8 so that has been my baseline. I'm not worried about it at all...it's still good and so long s I know the characteristics of a system I can adjust.

Cheers

9. Huff

Huff Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2014
    Mike
    Thanks for the tips. I will build an 'action' set of custom settings. I think I can make those adjustments and save as a custom profile. (right?)
    I was using just the center (single) point most fo the time.

10. zathras

zathras Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2014
    Waikato, New Zealand
    Chris Nielsen
    I have those settings saved and assigned to the mode dial