E-M1.3 & Lightroom Classic + Huelight Comments

I've recently gotten my E-M1.3 and downloaded Lightroom classic as an upgrade to my standalone LR6. I'm sure that many were already aware, but one of the things I noticed was that the default sharpening has been moved from 25 to 40 on import. I was looking for why I kept finding more noise than expected on some faces, and finally found this slider has been altered by default.

Does anyone else find this a bit too much? I would also be interested in LR users thoughts on radius value.

Also moving from the EM1.1 and using the Huelight profiles and finding them miles ahead of the std ones from adobe, I automatically bought the profiles for the EM1.3. I was used to using the Huelight Low profile by default and applying some vibrance and saturation. On the EM1.3, I've noticed that the Huelight profiles have way more saturation by default, so I've got to learn how to edit with the new sensor and profiles over again. It could be a certain lighting or scenery condition, but I'm finding way stronger yellow in the profiles. The adobe camera natural has actually been a better starting point, and that was pretty much never the case in LR6 with EM1.1 & Huelight.

Does anyone else have experience with these profiles or suggestions?

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
I've recently gotten my E-M1.3 and downloaded Lightroom classic as an upgrade to my standalone LR6. I'm sure that many were already aware, but one of the things I noticed was that the default sharpening has been moved from 25 to 40 on import. I was looking for why I kept finding more noise than expected on some faces, and finally found this slider has been altered by default.

Does anyone else find this a bit too much? I would also be interested in LR users thoughts on radius value.

Also moving from the EM1.1 and using the Huelight profiles and finding them miles ahead of the std ones from adobe, I automatically bought the profiles for the EM1.3. I was used to using the Huelight Low profile by default and applying some vibrance and saturation. On the EM1.3, I've noticed that the Huelight profiles have way more saturation by default, so I've got to learn how to edit with the new sensor and profiles over again. It could be a certain lighting or scenery condition, but I'm finding way stronger yellow in the profiles. The adobe camera natural has actually been a better starting point, and that was pretty much never the case in LR6 with EM1.1 & Huelight.

Does anyone else have experience with these profiles or suggestions?
Make a selection of settings with the sliders placed where you want them on import and the Huelight profile selected, but say, turned down. Save it as a lightroom preset.

Go to preferences, presets, RAW defaults, Master. Pick your new preset as the default. This will be applied on import.

You can override this for different cameras, so can differentiate between the Mk3 and Mk1 files and individual Mk1/Mk3 by serial number.

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
I have the Huelight profiles for the E-M1 Mark III but have been finding, for recent woodland photography, that I prefer Adobe Neutral (not camera natural) as a starting point. From there I tend to hit the auto button, normally reduce saturation, and make some subtle adjustments to the tone curve: more often than not dragging down near the middle end to reduce exposure a little, and adding a very slight little ‘s-curve’ to add some contrast.

I also find the default sharpening value can introduce too much noise in featureless surfaces but it does ok for areas of texture (for HHHR images I’ll default to an initial sharpening value of 80 though). Haven’t played with radius much.

Speaking of texture, I’m finding this slider very powerful and typically start with +20 then adjust to taste.

Last edited:

ColinM

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Colin
What is your setting for Masking? My default on the E-M1 II has Masking at 50, which keeps smooth areas clean. Hold down Alt as you adjust Masking to see the effect.

I mainly shoot scenics for stock, and clear blue skies are always a problem.

Colin

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have the Huelight profiles for the E-M1 Mark III but have been finding, for recent woodland photography, that I prefer Adobe Neutral (not camera natural) as a starting point. From there I tend to hit the auto button, normally reduce saturation, and make some subtle adjustments to the tone curve: more often than not dragging down near the middle end to reduce exposure a little, and adding a very slight little ‘s-curve’ to add some contrast.

I also find the default sharpening value can introduce too much noise in featureless surfaces but it does ok for areas of texture (for HHHR images I’ll default to an initial sharpening value of 80 though). Haven’t played with radius much.

Speaking of texture, I’m finding this slider very powerful and typically start with +20 then adjust to taste.
I noticed the yellow when taking portraits of the family in the woods this weekend, so glad it's not just me. Thanks for the tip on the HHHR. I only took one photo in that mode so far and did notice it looked softer than expected. Also the texture slider is new for me coming from LR6, so I'll definitely have to check it's effects out.

What is your setting for Masking? My default on the E-M1 II has Masking at 50, which keeps smooth areas clean. Hold down Alt as you adjust Masking to see the effect.

I mainly shoot scenics for stock, and clear blue skies are always a problem.

Colin
I checked the default masking and it was at 0. I'll have to play with that slider. I never touched the sharpening sliders much in LR before. This is creating a good opportunity to learn them I guess 🙂 .

Make a selection of settings with the sliders placed where you want them on import and the Huelight profile selected, but say, turned down. Save it as a lightroom preset.

Go to preferences, presets, RAW defaults, Master. Pick your new preset as the default. This will be applied on import.

You can override this for different cameras, so can differentiate between the Mk3 and Mk1 files and individual Mk1/Mk3 by serial number.
Thanks Richard. I've made the presets before for the various items I wanted to change, but haven't changed the defualt one. I had just selected which I wanted each import.

mcasan

Mu-43 All-Pro
Build an custom camera profile in camera raw that can be used in LrC or camera raw. The you can apply presets on top of the profile.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom