e-m1.2 Tethered shooting with Olympus Capture

YMMV

New to Mu-43
I am trying to use Olympus Capture to shoot my e-m1 II tethered to a laptop (focus check of a 300/4 Pro)
The sw is quite intuitive but documentation is not very complete and I have a couple of questions which I hope some experienced user will be able to help with.

1. How do I disconnect the camera wothout quitting the program?
I need to disconnect the camera momentarily every few shots to change some settings in Menu, which are not available while thethered, then reconnect and continue shooting.
If I turn off the camera, Olympus Capture says the camera is still operating (and indeed the Menu items I need to access are grayed out), so at the moment I just unplug the USB cable and reconnect when done...
I hope there is a less clumsy way of doing it but I could not find anything in the help (it only mentions that "If the camera battery is exhausted or the USB cable is pulled out, the camera and computer connection is interrupted and the message [Camera disconnected.] appears on the computer."

2. Shutter release is done by pressing the shutter button in the shooting interface (or pressing [Enter]). When set to C-AF, does the camera focus fully when the shutter is triggered, or do I have to press the "AF start" button first?
I have experienced that (I defocus completely to infinite or MFD) focus accuracy is terrible when I just hit the "full-press" button, while there are no problems if I first hit the "half-press" button and then the full-press release. I am wondering ... when I fully press the shutter button on the camera, should it not reach focus before taking the picture?

Comments and suggestions are welcome :)

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
1. How do I disconnect the camera wothout quitting the program?...
2. ...
I have experienced that (I defocus completely to infinite or MFD) focus accuracy is terrible when I just hit the "full-press" button, while there are no problems if I first hit the "half-press" button and then the full-press release. I am wondering ... when I fully press the shutter button on the camera, should it not reach focus before taking the picture?
I have not used the tethered option (it doesn't work with the E-M5.3), but I have used such software with Canon DSLRs.

One question I have about number1 - are you sure that Capture doesn't provide an area where you can change the camera settings? This is usually provided so you don't have to do what you are describing (disconnect, etc). The Canon utility gives full capability to change the camera settings as well as taking shots. I'd look around the Capture interface carefully for this.

As far as number2, I agree that it would be extremely odd that a camera wouldn't first focus and then fire if you did a full depress. In fact, I wouldn't think it would be possible to do otherwise. I mean, I think under normal, untethered conditions, the camera won't even take a shot unless it has achieved focus.

Maybe this is a camera setting? If so, then you could check to see if it is set to not take a shot unless focus is achieved. I kind of doubt that Capture would make the camera behave differently than it normally does.

Sorry I cannot be more help, but someone else can chime in, hopefully.

YMMV

New to Mu-43
Thank you very much for your feedback.

You can change most shooting parameters through Capture's interface but the setting I need to access is the AF adjustment (Lens Data), wich is not available in the program and greyed out on camera.

As to Q2, I was also wondering if it is a setting I have overlooked ... maybe some FPS priority setting? It seems that the camera initiates focusing but takes the exposure before focus is achieved, so I wonder if it prioritises FPS over AF, even if in single shot?
I'll check and see if I can figure it out.

kbouk

Mu-43 Regular
Thank you very much for your feedback.

You can change most shooting parameters through Capture's interface but the setting I need to access is the AF adjustment (Lens Data), wich is not available in the program and greyed out on camera.

As to Q2, I was also wondering if it is a setting I have overlooked ... maybe some FPS priority setting? It seems that the camera initiates focusing but takes the exposure before focus is achieved, so I wonder if it prioritises FPS over AF, even if in single shot?
I'll check and see if I can figure it out.
For Q2 you have to set CAF Release Priority setting to OFF (default setting is ON) to work as you want.

Q1 has some limitations for menu settings, only camera’s menu settings through Capture can change without disconnect and connect again.

YMMV

New to Mu-43
For Q2 you have to set CAF Release Priority setting to OFF (default setting is ON) to work as you want.

Q1 has some limitations for menu settings, only camera’s menu settings through Capture can change without disconnect and connect again.

Yes I found that CAF Rls Priority was actually seON. I set it to OFF and run a quick test, it seems to be better now although focus consistency didn't impress. I'll do a proper test when I get a chance. Thanks for your help.
Still wondering if I can disconnect the camera without having to unplug the usb cable...

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
Still wondering if I can disconnect the camera without having to unplug the usb cable...
I don't think so. You could turn the camera off, but as soon as you turned it back on, it would reconnect. Even if there is an icon in the tray and it allows you to remove the device, to get the device back, you'd have to disconnect the USB cable and reconnect it to goose it into working again. :dash2:

Growltiger

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
You could buy a short USB extender cable to make it easy to disconnect without touching the camera or the computer.

YMMV

New to Mu-43
Smart idea. I have ordered a cheap quick release cable as it will be more efficient for the calibration task I have in mind but it will come handy for other things. Thanks for the replies :)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom