1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-M1 .1 > .2 Lever

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Carbonman, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I just discovered that if I flip the lever down to .2 and go into the menu system, changing the focus setting in A. AF/MF to MF, the camera reverts to manual focus every time I flip the lever down. It's almost like using a Myset, I think.
    I've been bothered by the 60mm f2.8 macro not having an L-Fn button to stop autofocus quickly. Being able to revert to manual focus without throwing the current focus position away (as happens with the Pro lens manual ring activation) or taking too long because of diving into the SCP is now a thing of the past. I can easily find and flip the lever down by touch and keep viewing without disturbing my work flow.
    Does anyone know what other useful settings can also be enabled through this switch apart from the settings covered through the Sequential shooting/Self-timer/HDR button and AF/Metering mode buttons? I can't get it to change metering modes automatically this way, but it's not a big deal, I ride the -/+ exposure dial routinely with my thumb.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. twenty200

twenty200 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 20, 2015
    This is what I do too, and I think it's FANTASTIC.

I have the lever set up so that when it's up, I'm in autofocus, and when it's down, I'm in manual focus. That means, I can flip from auto to manual without ever taking my eye away from the viewfinder.

For other Lever options, go into Custom Menu > Buttons, Dials, Lever > Lever Function, and choose a mode. For me, it's all about Mode 5.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    Maybe old news, but if you also set AEL/AFL for MF to mode 3, you will have back-button focus available with the lever down.

2016-06-09_064447.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    Yep I have mf toggle with my em1 switch

5. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I just set it up with this and it's very easy to use. The .1 position has the AEL function tied to the shutter release button and the .2 position gives manual focus with AF when you push the AEL/AFL button, AFL when released. You folks have helped me sort through a couple of irritants and implement some very cool (& easy to remember) solutions.
    Silly question I know - why aren't Mysets on the touch screen instead of tying them to various buttons, dial positions etc? Working on this lever's functions and diving back into the menus got me thinking about how various functions are driven on the OM-D cameras. I think I've figured out enough to send a letter to Olympus with my not-so-profound thoughts.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  6. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    You can access mysets through the menu system

7. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Thanks Carbonman and others who posted here. I'm just learning a few options at a time on the E-M1 which is the most customizable camera I've ever had the privilege to own. Thanks to you guys/gals posting here I'm learning more and more customizable functions this camera has that, as time passes, will make this camera feel more and more like it was made just for me!
    Bobby

8. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    Zensu/Bobby, I'm in the same boat as you. The menus and options don't come easily for me and it's a major discovery when I figure out something new with my camera. I'm only now really getting away from the "aperture, shutter speed, ISO" triangle since getting my first m43 camera a couple of years ago and exploiting some of the capabilities of what we are carrying around these days.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. yendikeno

yendikeno Mu-43 Regular

Sep 5, 2015
    Glad I looked at this thread, as I learned something useful. Good stuff!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    Some good information here! But one question to OP: why aren't you using the front fn buttons for MF? I use the single front fn button on my EM5mk2 for MF if I need to lock autofocus. That leaves the 1/2 switch for ISO/WB selection. I admit that the front fn button is easy to hit accidentally, so that is one good reason not to use it...

11. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    I moved ISO to a front button. I don't need quick access to WB or one-touch WB.

12. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I guess I'm an index finger and thumb kind of user. I also rarely change ISO and never adjust WB, leaving that to PP from RAW.

13. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    I changed to using the switch for MF in the down position. I used to have the switch used for other functions as you mentioned, but I would always forget what setting where there and so never remembered to use it. As other mentioned, I find settings like WB and ISO I rarely need to quickly change on the fly. So for me those settings are easily accessed and changed via the Super Control Panel (SCP). But MF is nice to have with the flick of the thumb without leaving the EVF when you need to quickly manual focus before the shot is lost.

As I recall, believe I left the one touch WB button on the front as is but changed the Preview button on the front (the bottom of the two) to the Keystone function when out taking photos looking up at building. I never used keystone in the past so all my building shots are leaning backwards. Playing around in the Olympus Viewer 3 program, I saw how effective it is. So I assigned it to a button to get into the habit of using it in camera when appropriate.

That's one problem with programmable buttons. We have so many of them now we tend to set them all up with things we might want to use, but then can't remember them all if we don't get in the habit of using them enough to commit them to memory. That was my main issue with using the toggle switch in the down position which changed other settings. Making it simply be the MF switch made sense and was easy to commit to memory.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I use the bottom front button for DoF preview and the upper button for keystone. The keystone use is so I can preview what I can do in OV3 with a RAW file later, and to make sure I leave enough space around the item of interest to not accidentally clip the image in PP while getting the adjustment I want.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Starfleet

Starfleet Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 14, 2015
    Michigan, USA
    Alex
    I just do not get why Olympus forces two separate switches for WB and ISO on the EM-1. On the E-M5ii there is just one switch, and you get ISO at the bottom of the screen, and WB at the top. What the heck...

16. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Likewise - thanks OP and others for your input
    Regards
    Rob

17. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    What do you mean? On my E-M1 when I put the (one) switch down ISO is at the top and white balance at the bottom. There is just the one switch and both are immediately available. Isn't that the same on the E-M5II?

18. Starfleet

Starfleet Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 14, 2015
    Michigan, USA
    Alex
    I was not talking about what you get when you have the lever associated with ISO/WB. I have the lever associated with AF vs. MF. What I am talking about is button association. On the EM5II you can assign ISO/WB to one button. On the EM1 you can only assign them separately (other than using the lever).

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    OK I understand. That is a clever feature. Perhaps the E-M1 II will do that too.

20. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Not sure if maybe I am different than the norm, but do people usually need to change both ISO and WB at the same time? Seems to me they are not "linked" settings where if you are touching one then you are likely touching the other. So not having both available with a single button press seems kind of an odd complaint.