1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

E-LP1 vs. Sony A65 SLT.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by littleMT, Apr 23, 2012.

1. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    My family took some shots and now there is a debate...

which took the better shot?

here is a shot from the 1k Sony:

jmack-day-3.

here is from the $149 refurb E-PL1:

jm-4.

from the Sony:

jmack-day-2.

from the E-LP1:

jm-1.

The Sony:

jmack-day-1.

E-LP1:

fjw-3.

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I guess I could say the E-PL1 took the better shot, as my favorite of the set is #2. That shot has the most appealing perspective. That's the photographer, not the camera.

I will have to note though, that compared to the E-PL1 shots the Sony shots look jaundiced in color, lack contrast, and to my eyes look like they may be soft. The last part though I can't really tell at websize and is probably more a factor of lower contrast. The jaundiced color could be a matter of processing, and although I don't like the color of the car in the Sony shots I do prefer the color of the sand in the background. The color of the sky I prefer better from each camera in different shots.

So all factors included, shot #2 is still my favorite. ;) Good job.

3. nostatic9

nostatic9 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 26, 2012
    good light + web image = doesn't make a difference

4. riveredger

riveredger Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2010
    Northern NJ
    Nice shots. It just proves that today's cameras are all excellent - but especially for daylight shooting of static subjects. In fact, the EPL1 is a little bit nicer to my eye. On a moving subject though, the Sony will do a much better job of focusing.

5. atomic

atomic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    What lens did you use on the epl1?

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Those shots were actually of a fast-moving car blazing through the desert. The shutter speed was so fast that the car looks like it's standing still. ;)

7. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    They all look pretty good IQ-wise. Compositionally, the 2nd photo is my favorite.

8. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    The lens used for the EPL-1 was the Olympus 45mm f/1.8 prime.

The lens used for the A65 was a Sony 35mm f/1.8 prime..

on shot number 6, the rearend shot, the 14mm pancake was slapped on.

9. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez

the Sony shooting the subject moving:

jmack-day-4.

jmack-day-5.

• Like Like x 4
  10. olydebut

olydebut Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 9, 2012
    Sony A65 vs Oly epl1, hmmm....
    I like the Car. Gimme the car :D

11. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    the car is sweet, here, the Sony catches it's beauty in darkness, with only the moonlight and stars...and a few led torches..

justincamaro3.

• Like Like x 1
  12. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    At this size and in this light you could have taken them on an iPhone. Except for the last one where the Sony would win easily.

Gordon

13. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    a different Orange Camaro, shot at night with the E-PL1...

firstout-9.

also shot at night with the E-PL1:

firstout-3.

14. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The E-PL1 still looks sharper with better contrast on the moving subject. ;)

Buying the E-PL1 instead of the A65 will help you save up towards one of those cars. ;)

I see the orange easily in these night shots, but the E-PL1 day shots made the car look red! o_O I didn't know the car was supposed to be orange, so I'm guessing the Sony probably had the more accurate color rendition the whole time then...

I take back my initial comment on the car's color with the Sony shots. ;)

15. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Guys, I'm starting to think he doesn't care about the cameras and is just showing off his photo set :eek:

I noticed when looking at early sample photos out of the E-M5 that the red channel was way too hot. Maybe this is a problem Olympus has had for a long time and I just never noticed?

16. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I'm thinking so. I've actually been noticing the same thing lately out of my E-PM1 and E-PL2 pics. When I balance my colors I'm very often tuning out a very slight red cast in my JPG images.

Oddly though, my previous experience with DLSRs (including Olympus E-System DSLRs) had always left me feeling that Canons were the ones which favored reds too much. Maybe Olympus is emulating their pattern now?

Granted, this doesn't really bother me much. I had always preferred Canon colors over Nikon, which seem to be more blue-weighted. So this works for me either way... It's just interesting to note these differences in processing preferences. I sometimes notice this within the same brand, like my E-3 always seemed more orange to me while my E-510 had colors more like I like them. Of course the lens I mount can make the biggest difference of all. Zuiko glass is generally very warm.

It just goes to show how subjective color really is, and how much of it gives out to personality of both photographer and camera (lens and body combined).