Dying with zero

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I'm curious how Australia and the UK and other countries handle this from a social safety net perspective. In the US we largely could care less. So if anyone wants to share that'd be cool.

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
Yeah, I agree with others who say that everyone is NOT an impulsive buyer. I'm old enough to know how to control myself and I do think I have a pretty good handle on how much money I have and how much I can blow. If anything, I tend to be a little too thrifty, I think, after a lifetime of being that way. I joke a lot about GAS, which I suppose might sound like being irresponsible, but I can handle it.
I don't think anyone here owes an explanation or justification. I automatically assume everyone knows their personal limits and it's really none of my business. If I planned poorly, I'll starve.

However, I do blame my parents for not leaving me wealthy... :laugh1:

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
I'm curious how Australia and the UK and other countries handle this from a social safety net perspective. In the US we largely could care less. So if anyone wants to share that'd be cool.

Dead easy here in the UK.

If you buy your own house, save lots of money, contribute to a pension, then you can expect a comfortable retirement unless you are unfortunate enough to need residential care. Then the state will expect you to self fund until you have virtually no assets left.

If you sit on your backside, never save a penny, never work a single day, our government will take care of you and ensure you have somewhere to live, something to eat, all health care, residential care when needed etc. They will even cremate you for free.

It is not surprising that the migrants continue to leave a safe country (France) and risk their lives on an extremely hazardous trip across the Channel in a rubber boat. I probably would if I was them (it is not a crime to be poor).

That's how things work in the UK.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom