1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

DYI Camera Strap

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by CharlieL, Aug 12, 2014.

1. CharlieL

CharlieL Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 2, 2014
    Burkburnett Tx USA
    Charlie
    Here is a DYI camera strap that I have been using and liking. I take my camera hiking, the long strap allows me to hang the camera from my shoulder and sling is across my chest and have it hanging on the opposite hip where is does not bounce around a lot when walking.

The Nite Ize brand locking clips work well. The strap is made from one strand of paracord that is spool knitted on two pins. I enjoy puttering around and making things.

P8122154. P8122141.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    It all looks good. What is your impression of the locking clip?

3. CharlieL

CharlieL Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 2, 2014
    Burkburnett Tx USA
    Charlie
    They are well built, and feel solid, the locking mechanism clicks firmly. I feel comfortable letting my camera hang by them. I have only had them for a few months I do not know how they will hold up over time, but I think the will last long time. I got the smallest size that was metal and had the locking option. At first I had a larger size they were too big. I settled on the S-biner Microlock, in a perfect world they could be a hair smaller, but never the less I am happy with them.

• Like Like x 2
  4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Very nice. The micro lock biner looks extremely useful, I may need to pick up a couple. I can think of several applications where a dependable quick release would come in handy. :cool:

5. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Very nice! I don't know why more people don't make their own wrist and neck straps. It is so easy and you get exactly what you want.

Watch those Nite Ize clips carefully though. The original design did not have those notches that the wire rests in and it had major problems with releasing accidentally. Whether the added notch has solved this I don't know. I notched mine before Nite Ize showed up with their fix but I still don't trust them.

• Like Like x 1
  6. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
  7. Kai

Kai Mu-43 Regular

May 5, 2014
    Finland
    I gotta try these clips. I've been trying out different types of metal clips on my paracord straps as I like to switch between a long strap and a wrist strap. Perhaps these are the answer? Maybe, maybe not but hopefully will get me closer to finding the perfect clips for me :smile:.

8. Kai

Kai Mu-43 Regular

May 5, 2014
    Finland
    Okay got the clips and now testing them. Interesting to see how they hold.

• Like Like x 2
  9. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Nice work. I'd suggest ditching those big bulky split rings though. The s-binder can hook directly to the loop in the strap and you can use a much smaller ring on the camera body. Like one of these: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Stai...ts&Ntt=rings&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

I bought a package (100) of the rings, #6 of #7 IIRC. If you want a few, just PM me with an address. I'll never need anywhere near the 100 that I had to buy.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Kai

Kai Mu-43 Regular

May 5, 2014
    Finland
    Yes, those big split rings will have to go. Just checked, I have many different sizes of good quality split rings in my paracord box so I got that covered. Thank you for the offer though, very kind of you sir! The cord I used to make the strap may be too thick for the little s-biner, but no worries as I decided to switch it for a paracord strap.