DxOMark Olympus 75mm Review

HappyFish

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Chad
The way they do the lens with the sensor is kinda silly to me :)
Cause it makes any lens on a D800 better ? Yet in reailty I think it just shows more of the problems
Dxo might be ok for sensors but the lens tests are worthless overall :)

flash

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Gordon
A sharp lens on a 16MP sensor in a $1200.00 (when released) camera doesn't resolve as many lines as a sharp lens on a 24MP sensor in a $7000.00 (when released) body.

Whodathunkthat?

DXO just won this weeks award for stating the bleeding obvious.

Gordon

Leif

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Leif
And they still test M43 Lenses on a GH2 instead of an OM-D or other camera with the new Sony sensor.

Bhupinder2002

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
There's still this bias (conscious or unconscious) toward :43: even though the sensor quality has improved and most of the new lenses are excellent. :rolleyes:

I agree Bob.. But do we need DXO's approval to know that MFT has finally arrived ? I think proof of the pudding is in eating and I dont think anyone else eats more MFT puddings than members of this forum . Oly 75 mm 1.8 is the SHARPEST PORTRAIT lens of digital era across all formats and doesnt matter what DXO says .
Cheers
Bhupinder

JJJPhoto

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jerry Jackson Jr
I'm a multi-system user and have both the Nikon 85mm 1.8G for my Nikon DSLRs and the Olympus 75mm 1.8 for my Pen and OM-D cameras. I also have experience using the Canon 85mm 1.2 on my Canon gear (although I don't own that lens anymore since I'm down to a minimal Canon kit). I think direct comparisons between these lenses are VERY difficult but it's normal to want to compare these lenses and talk about which is better.

That said, I honestly don't agree with the comments on the Dx0Mark site that the Olympus 75mm is "not in the same league as" the Nikon 85mm 1.8G. In fact, the only aspect where I'd say the Nikon lens has an advantage is in shallow DOF (which has do do with the sensor size more than the lens). I don't do much side-by-side comparison shooting with my gear, but based on a random sampling of shots I've taken with the Oly 75mm and Nikon 85mm I wouldn't say the 85mm is the superior lens. That said, I also wouldn't say the 75mm blows away the 85mm.

Different strokes for different folks.

Olympus 75mm 1.8:
OEP31793-XL.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Nikon 85mm 1.8:
DSC_0011-XL.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Jonathan F/2

Mu-43 Legend
DXO ratings are weird. I've used the Nikon 85mm 1.8 G and own the 75mm 1.8 and both are great lenses. But they're comparing apples to oranges! I returned the 85 and kept the 75! The 75 is much more fun lens to use, is built better/compact and looks cooler!

I actually shot both and adapted the 85 G to the OM-D, can you tell the difference?

View attachment 253545

View attachment 253546

Savas K

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Bokeh gave it away in #2. I have and love the lens and know it reasonably well in a short time. #1's blur effect is smooth even as the lawn comes closer to the subject.

atomic

Mu-43 Veteran
I like #2 better, but I think that has more to do with the background being blurred than the lens quality. The only time I tend to use autofocus is when I'm short on time. It's a nice feature, but I actually enjoy focusing, even with the focus by wire lenses of today.

Latest threads

Top Bottom