1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

DxOMark EP3 test....

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Djarum, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    DxOMark - Olympus PEN EP3

Not good considering that the E-P1 has a score of 55.

The biggest difference I see is color sensitivity at various ISOs is worse in the E-P3 than in the E-P1.

I usually don't put much stock into the DxO scores because I'm not sure that they always translate into real world use, but this isn't good for Olympus. However, as an E-P1 owner, and something DxO doesn't take into account is pattern(banding) noise which my E-P1 shows at ISO 1600.

2. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    It's painfully obvious that they are turning out bodies and paying more attention to the styling rather than the substance.

3. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I am increasingly circumspect about their measurements. Initial reports from reviewers seem to discern dynamic increases for the E-P3 that put it in a very strong position. DXO places it equal or slightly worse than my GF1, and both below the G3.

Of course, these are only one set of measurements, and a lot of factors (from lens to photographer skills) influence real world results.

So we likely won't see boastful headlines about the E-P3 DXO results, or how it 'kills' another camera; but I bet we see a lot of great photographs made using this camera.

4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Not sure I agree.

The only issue is the sensor (which I realize is a big deal), but given that Oly doesn't make sensors themselves, and also given that the 43 sized sensor is a niche space (vs. say APS-C, where many more manufacturers can use the Sony sensors), Oly is likely doing the best it can without blowing the budget on single-handedly paying for a new silicon chip foundry.

Read out rates are faster. AF is faster. LCD screen res is up. The new lenses seem to be outstanding. These are all substance. I disagree that they are only paying attention to styling, though it is a strength for them, so they should play up to it. They do need a better solution for sensors, though, than the old ones Panny allows them to use. But it will be difficult for them.

I've been experimenting lately with exposing to the right, and the EP1 REALLY benefits from this approach.

5. timallenphoto

timallenphoto Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    Kent, England
    E-P1 scores 55, Pana G3: 56 - surely that's not right? Or does it prove these tests are nonsense?

6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I agree. For me, DXO is a way to say "I see the EP1 sensor is more limited to the Sony sensor" and then I should just manage my shooting to keep that in consideration. I can still take very pleasing shots with my EP1. After using a NEX3 for six months, the higher ISO was cleaner, but I didn't find the overall package/system more useful/better (and the AF lens choices were very limiting). Evaluating JUST the sensor is useful information, but only part of the story.

I will be interested in the first shooters reviews of the EP1 vs. EP3, though. That will be very telling.

7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Yes. But unfortunately, almost all the reviews tend to be based on JPEGs out of the camera. Results from a neutral 3rd party RAW converter would tell a lot more about actual improvements under the hood. Generally, Olympus has been good at massaging the processing their cameras to improve the JPEGs (i.e. E-5 vs. E-30) but the underlying data is often almost unchanged between models, so if one uses Lightroom or other tools, the benefits are quite limited.

DH

8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Personally, I think this is the case -- that there will be little or no change.

9. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Well to be fair they are trying to sell cameras and they make their design choices based on what folks are asking for. I suspect we here on this forum represent a pretty small slice of their customer base. I think it'll be interesting to see what the E-P3 is like in person.

10. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    We're an extremely small slice of their market.

To the poster that said "the only issue is the sensor". Well for me that's a pretty gig deal. As far as the faster AF, I had read that it's only on the newer lenses. If that's indeed true then that's another fail.

For them to charge about $200 more than a G3 and not get a better sensor, no EVF, roughly the same LCD res. Not good.

• Like Like x 1
  11. timallenphoto

timallenphoto Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    Kent, England
    In the UK the EP3 is £700 body only, this is baffling. £240 more than the G3 with no EVF and worse sensor.

12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I'm of two minds about his. On the one hand, I think the E-P3 sensor is good enough, and with all the other improvements they made (autofocus, screen, etc), the camera is a winner. On the other hand, I can't help but be disappointed that Panasonic had a perfectly great, new sensor for the G3, and it didn't end up in the E-P3. It's in Panasonic's long term interest for Olympus to remain a strong partner. Plenty of people who buy an E-P3 will also buy Panasonic lenses. An E-P3 with the G3 sensor would have been a hit.

13. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Amin,

While I agree, I'm not all that convinced of the G3 sensor. I've seen lots of shots from Imaging resource and dpreview, and there is something lacking. While this can be made up in RAW I suppose, when I compare the E-PL2 jpegs to the G3's, the G3's just look soft.

14. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Someone mentioned somewhere that high ISO is the new megapixels. I tend to agree :tongue:

BTW, the G3 and the E-P3 do NOT have the same resolution (nor the same screen, for that matter - OLED vs LCD). 614,000 vs 460,000.

I do agree it's disappointing that the E-P3 is $200-$300 more expensive than the G3, given the relative feature "parity".

Guess we'll see how the E-P3 sensor performs when it actually comes out. Hopefully DPReview won't take too long to get a review out...

15. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I'm always speaking from the perspective of a RAW shooter. In-camera processing is pretty much irrelevant to me, but I understand I'm in the minority there.

16. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I'm starting to think a new angle -- I think the EPL3 is the camera to get. Put on an aftermarket grip, and you've got 5fps, tilting LCD, small body, clip on flash (I use flash so rarely that clip on is fine), etc. I'm getting the thought that the EP3 might iterate fairly quickly, so I could run with my EP1 and EPL3 for a while (with all them new lenses) and look to a new EP4 in the spring (remember -- Oly can get body-upgrade happy in spurts).

Could you imagine, though, if they had something like the GH2 sensor in the Olys. They'd kill the market. Ah well, such is not to be (for the moment).

17. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I think I'd be happy with the feature and IQ comparisons between the new E-P/PL/PM 3 series vs the G3 but I think the biggest thing is cost. It's probably a toss-up in my books for E-P3 vs G3 but the E-P3 is what 300$ more...and then tack on another 200-250 for EVF. :( Now if if you were looking at a total comparison cost of say 6-700$ for the G3 vs an E-PL3 with EVF for maybe 800$ that would be a hard call for me.

18. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    To echo an earlier post, Dx0Mark gave a 54-56 to the E-P1, E-P2, E-PL1 and E-Pl2. The G3 got a 56, the same as the E-P2. In itself, I have no idea what to do with any of these results since it indicates to me that all of these differences are a wash. What exactly does it mean that the G3 and my E-P2 have the same score? Clearly Panasonic wasted its time on that new sensor based on these results. I get a lot more out of dpreview's pixel peeping shots because I can at least see differences, and those do not line up with these numbers. Some measurements can be perfectly accurate and just not tell you anything meaningful. In this case, the "error bars for usefulness" are pretty high for these measurements.

19. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    It is what I have been thinking for some time. The differences between these cameras IQ wise not so great as one would think based on the hype. Given the speed at which these cameras are turned out it makes perfect senses that the biggest changes we are seeing are differences (I'll refrain from saying improvements) in features, UI, size etc. as opposed to imaging capability (which is for my purposes is quite useable across the board).

What does that mean? It means if you have an E-P1, E-P2, G1, G2, etc. you don't need to feel like you should hide your head in shame. :eek:

20. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    I would agree about the not hanging your head in shame. if your camera delivers for you, then enjoy it.

I disagree about the image quality though - and so do most reviews. Reviews of the G3 have praised the output, and compared it favourably with much more expensive DSLRs.