DxO vs Lightroom

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by yizzy814, Sep 21, 2012.

1. yizzy814

yizzy814 New to Mu-43

Sep 2, 2012
    Hi all. Just wondering if anyone had an opinion on RAW to jpeg conversions using these two programs. I played around w/ DxO and found it to be generally pretty easy to use with my G3. The jpegs it produces are, also, quite nice. Lightroom seems a lot more full-featured, but also more intimidating. How easy is it to do simple conversions in LR, and is there a consensus which program produces better images?

2. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    I don't know LR, but I think you'll find that DxO has a full feature set. The nice thing is that you don't see it (and aren't intimidated by it) unless you switch to advanced mode (top right). I like the fully automatic corrections, which work for 90% of my stuff.

3. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    I use LR and have played in DxO. Perhaps it's because I'm used to LR, but I find LR more logical. On default import settings, I find DxO too harsh - it seems to apply too much to the image for my liking, but turning off some of the auto optimisers gets it back to what LR starts with.

As to RAW converters, they appear about equal to me (I tried Silkypix with my G5 when I first got it before LR supported the G5 and it was noticeably inferior).

4. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    If you're considering alternatives to LR you can also look into Capture One. I never took to DxO, but Capture One is a different matter IMHO: it has a nice user interface and the output in terms of detail are first-rate. I went for Lightroom because of its larger feature set at the time and the option to create your own camera profiles, which appeared absolutely necessary for my G1. If Capture One picks up on features I will reconsider because I simply like the program and the results.

5. yizzy814

yizzy814 New to Mu-43

Sep 2, 2012
    For those of you who use LR, is there an easy auto-photo adjust option like in DxO? Also, does LR have auto-lens adjustments? That is one of my favorite features of DxO. I keep seeing all these comparisons that say LR is better than DxO, but is that only through manual adjustment of the photo settings?

6. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    Cloverdale,CA
    Lightroom can do what you need I believe. It does have auto adjust but more importantly you can create presets and apply them on import or for the selected photos. If you set it up right, you really don't have to do a lot to the photos after import.

It's an outstanding product but has slowed a little in it's newest version (4.1). A new version is due out any day to address some of the speed issues.

LR has amazing highlight recovery and is well worth it's price.

7. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Watch for the student teacher versions ... if you have kids even their grade school ID is accepted.

8. mizx

mizx Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 7, 2012
    Somerset, UK
    Jon
    I need to sort out a newer version of LR for my G3 (I have LR2), I've never worked with RAW before so I was thinking about trying something new; Capture One and DxO look great, but it seems like they won't offer anything more for my needs than the latest LR, would I be better of sticking with LR seeing as I'm used to it?

9. nseika

nseika Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Lois
    Only tried DxO's trial before, but the applications seems to have less colour adjustment control compared to Lightroom isn't it ?

10. sty

sty New to Mu-43

Nov 21, 2011
    Vienna, Austria
    Lightroom 4.2 is out today

LR has all the features automatic/manual

Try the trial

Greetings from Vienna
    Franz

• Like Like x 1
  11. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    There are various auto adjustments. Whether the results are satisfactory is a matter of taste. As everybody has their own particular preferences, I suspect many (most?) Lightroom users build their own presets as a starting point.

Lightroom does have automatic lens adjustments for m4/3 lenses per the manufacturer's specifications (note that this does not mean all distortion/vignetting is corrected - it means that it is corrected to the degree the lens manufacturer has asked).

DH

12. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    DxO's lens modules do a better job of distortion correction and basic sharpness/detail rendering in my experience, and is at least as good (if not better) than LightRoom at highlight recovery. It also allows creation of custom presets that can be batch applied (simply copy/paste), in a manner that's extremely similar to Lightroom. Basic user interface style is also similar, and I slightly prefer DxO's handling, but I've been using it since version 5. The IQ differences were there, in favor of DxO for 5DmarkII RAW files. Make sure you've turned on the 'expert' adjustment palette in DxO Optics Pro and unfolded various drop downs. There are some things Lightroom does better, but most of those are things I prefer to do in Photoshop (selective masking and such). The exception is the software ND Grad.

I usually start with the 'Default' DxO profile and then pull back the auto lighting adjustments, often by quite a bit. Haven't really played with LR 4 a great deal yet, but I am a big fan of DxO Optics Pro. It is a resource hog, though. And LR is the better program for cataloging. The two can be used in conjunction as well.

13. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    They *really* improved the highlight recovery from 3 to 4, I upgraded a couple of months back and LR4's recovery is like witchcraft! The improvement's definitely noticeable.