DXO V5 is out

Ghostbuggy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Phill
I was just about to post this. They launched it sooner than I guessed. I'm downloading the free trial right now (as a tip for existing Photolab 4 users: You can install PL5 without any issues besides PL4), so far the new features don't seem too exciting, I don't care about the improved processing times, however they also said they further improved their already impressive DeepPRIME technology. The most important feature and most likely the only reason why I might buy it, would be the compatability with Fujifilm's X-Trans sensors. They support a wide variety of X-Trans cameras, so this will be worth a look for me.

Real Name
Henrik
80 euro to upgrade from PL4 elite to PL5 elite, feels very steep for such limited added value (unless you're a Fujifilm shooter).

Ghostbuggy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Phill
That's my first impression too, I haven't checked the new or reworked Photo Library system yet, but that at least for me wouldn't be enough to upgrade, same goes for the enhancements with DeepPRIME: I'm already very satisfied with the PL4 performance, so there is no rush or urge for me to further improve that feature.

Lens and camera profiles for Fujifilm are already there, the software recognized not only my X100V, but also the X-Pro3 and my three Fujicrons.

By the way they also released a new version of their FilmPack software, I haven't checked it out yet, but FilmPack 6 seems to offer a reworked UI - which I wouldn't care for since I'm using it within PhotoLab anyways. Upgrade von FP5 Elite to FP6 Elite is 60 bucks...

Real Name
Mike
same goes for the enhancements with DeepPRIME: I'm already very satisfied with the PL4 performance, so there is no rush or urge for me to further improve that feature.
As far as I can tell from what's listed, by "performance" improvement this means processing time (primarily for Apple M1, to a lesser degree for other systems), not any algorithm quality / behavior change. Same input, same output?

Anybody who upgrades, want to confirm?

JonSnih

Mu-43 Veteran
I was just about to post this. They launched it sooner than I guessed. I'm downloading the free trial right now (as a tip for existing Photolab 4 users: You can install PL5 without any issues besides PL4), so far the new features don't seem too exciting, I don't care about the improved processing times, however they also said they further improved their already impressive DeepPRIME technology. The most important feature and most likely the only reason why I might buy it, would be the compatability with Fujifilm's X-Trans sensors. They support a wide variety of X-Trans cameras, so this will be worth a look for me.
Take a look at DeepPrime workflow if something has changed. There were requests for larger preview. Topaz 3.3 has good comparison preview window where you can see an original image and 3 diff. noise settings/profiles. PL should go this way as well. But I can only praise them that they still bother to optimize code to squeeze out the most from your HW.

Ghostbuggy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Phill
If I read it correctly, they also improved the algorithms, which I think might be a bit more than just better processing speeds. The preview for DeepPRIME still is limited to that little preview frame, no option to get a larger preview or even a live preview on your magnified image.

I've done some quick testing with some of my Fujifilm files and can already tell why they are labeling this feature as "Beta". Loading times are a lot slower and while making any adjustments, sometimes the photo disappears for a brief second, not often, but sometimes. The worst part however is the quality of the RAW files, compared to my free copy of Capture One Express 20, PL5 has a disadvantage when it comes to details, those are somewhat smudgy, aquarell-like. That is especially true for leaves and foliage, which aren't particularly a strong point for X-Trans to begin with. It's not that the output is bad, but it's somewhat less pleasent than C1E.

StefanKruse

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Stefan
I am looking to pull the trigger, but was hoping for a nice Black Friday deal. Right now I can get photolab for €165 (normal price €219) i.e. a discount of 25%.

Anyone remember what last years Black Friday discounts were? and please remind me when is Black Friday?

Ghostbuggy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Phill
I am looking to pull the trigger, but was hoping for a nice Black Friday deal. Right now I can get photolab for €165 (normal price €219) i.e. a discount of 25%.

Anyone remember what last years Black Friday discounts were? and please remind me when is Black Friday?
Here's my tip:
In the last three years, 2018, 2019 and 2020 DXO always had 50% off PhotoLab, sometimes a flat 50% off their whole software catalog. I expect it to be the same this year, at least better than the 25% they are offering now.
If you download the 31-day trial today, you can use it until a week prior Thanksgiving. Wait a week until they launch their Black Friday offers on Thursday an evaluate whether to take the deal or not.

80 euro to upgrade from PL4 elite to PL5 elite, feels very steep for such limited added value (unless you're a Fujifilm shooter).
There's 30-40% sale on black friday.

I find the new functions very interesting but I'll pass, as I mainly use it as a DNG generator for noisy pictures.
DeepPrime is so slow on my computer that I don't care about a 50% speed increase, I'd need a 10x boost (that means a new computer).

Rrybicki

Innocent bystander
Real Name
Russ
Quick test of export time PL4 vs PL5. Took ten full size G9 raws, ISOs between 2000 and 4000. Exported as full-size JPEGs, 100% quality with no corrections applied, other than Deep Prime with luminance set to 40.

PL4 took 1 minute 18 sec
PL5 took 1 minute 16 sec

MacBook Pro 16 (2019) 2.3 GHz 8-core i9, 64GM RAM, 8GB AMD Radeon Pro 550M. No obvious difference in the image quality of the final result.

Russ

Last edited:

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
I have DxO PhotoLab 4 and their Filmpack 5 both. My DxO Store's upgrade shows it to be $127.99 for the pair upgrade package until November 14. After that they may resort to a Black Friday sale at some point and unsure if it would be any cheaper then.

I did recently upgrade to Exposure X7 as I find it does work much better than DxO PhotoLab for the Voigtlander 29mm f/0.8 Super-Noct lens which has some CA and requires a lot better defringing than what DxO can provide. That lens is not in their database yet, and maybe if and when they include it might help me to decide.

For now, Topaz Denoise AI and Sharpen AI seem to cover the DxO Prime noise matters here.

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
I just bought the upgrade package for PL5 and FP6 FULL (Don't know what that means really) for €157. (Upgrade from PL4 Elite and FP5 Elite).
Will install tonight and try them out.

Ghostbuggy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Phill
Can we still expect new camera profiles in the last version of PL, or will they quit adding them right away?
At least in the past they stopped providing new profiles and further updates for the previous version as soon as the new, major version launched. So if you are missing a camera profile in your current PL4, the chances are fairly slim it'll be added in the future.

JonSnih

Mu-43 Veteran
Can we still expect new camera profiles in the last version of PL, or will they quit adding them right away?
Only new major version receives new camera profiles. This policy is the same with Capture 1 (or Lightroom Classic). It is the way how to force users to upgrade (= money/support for further development). But they will enable new lens modules for some time (years) if the previous version is compatible (code-wise) with the latest one.

You can upgrade for better price. Wait for Black Friday deal (30-40 % off). They also run some deal during spring time (also 30 % off).

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom