1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

DXO Tests G5 - Looks like GH2 sensor

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by kwalsh, Sep 17, 2012.

1. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    DXO has G5 sensor measurements in. Looks pretty much exactly like the GH2 sensor, including the good base ISO DR.

I'm quite glad, this makes the G5 a really compelling addition to the G series and makes it clear the G series (and presumably GF/GX) will be getting "digital" sensors in the future. Especially important now that the GH series has gone "big" and "pro".

• Like Like x 1
  2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Canon is arguably losing sensor ground to the Sony powerhouses (Sony, Pentax, Nikon) - so now that Panasonic is going solo (i.e. less revenue with Olympus presumably gone) will the Sony sensor juggernaut surpass Panasonic in Micro Four Thirds (with Olympus) ?

3. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    That's nice to know that the G series is receiving the better sensors too. But now that the GH3 was released, I'll probably get a GH2 for a better price.

4. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Interesting... it's scoring well on dynamic range and color depth compared to it's predecessors (higher than the GH2 on both in fact) but then takes a dive on the signal to noise ratio for high ISO, scoring lower than the GX1, G3 and the GH2. I'm surprised to see that, would have expected it to score comparably with the GX1 or higher. Perhaps just some give and take for the larger D.R. and lower base ISO performance?

5. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Are you looking at the same graphs as me? The graphs I'm looking at show SnR to be identical for all practical purposes except ISO 12800 which is lower for the GH2, dynamic range follows the max of GH2 and GX1 (i.e. the better range of the GH2 is maintained until the GX1 betters the GH2 where the G5 then follows the GX1 curve and tonal range and colour sensitivity are basically the same for all three cameras... Or are you looking at the measured ISOs in this too (with the camera with the lowest measured ISO doing slightly better as it's point is to the left of the others on the curve).

6. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Oh, I was just looking at the overall scores/ranking, which indicates the max high ISO that can be achieved with 'acceptable' noise ratio. Looking at the graphs they seem pretty comparable as I would have expected.

7. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Ahh.. yes... The Sports ISO. I think people get hung up on absolutes.

it says the following about the ISO scores:

So for the G5 at 618 and the GX1 at 703 there's a 13% difference. We're talking about things you wouldn't really notice. To put it into context, the discussion of the results page also says:

It would REALLY help to have DxO measure the OM-D sensor to see how that compares though....

• Like Like x 2
  8. chicaboo

chicaboo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2012
    Logan, QLD, Australia
    Gav
    Compared to the GX1, the only big difference is the 1 stop of DR below ISO800 in favour of the G5. Otherwise they are within stone throws of each other.

• Like Like x 1