1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

DXO Suite?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by PaulGiz, Dec 31, 2015.

1. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    I'm using Aperture now, no real complaints but it is sometimes tedious. I can pretty much do anything, but sometimes it's slow going.

Saw some demos of DXO and it looks quite a bit sleeker. I was already considering FilmPack as a plug-in but right now the DXO is pretty well-priced (only for today, though).

Any experience with it?

(Please don't suggest LightRoom, Adobe gets none of my money, ever. They screwed me royally and even forced me to reload an OS, so they're dead to me.)

P.

2. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    So precisely what are you look for.....a DAM with non-destructive edits to replace Aperture? The two main candidates are LR and C1P. DxO is not a DAM. You typically use it as a plugin with a DAM like LR or C1P just as you would use On1's Photo 10 package of apps.

3. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    Thanks for clearing that up, the website is (probably on purpose) pretty vague. Still, could consider plug-ins if Aperture compatible.

4. kauphymug

kauphymug Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2015
    Cowford, Florida
    I'm a fan of DXO it's the first stop and sometimes last for my raw files. To bad you're down on LR, it's a great companion to DXO. Intuitive, easy learning curve and they have great webinars.

5. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    I own the full DXO Optics Pro Suite (Pro 10, ViewPoint 2 and FilmPack) and while DXO Suite is not a DAM software like Aperture or lightroom, it is my main RAW processing engine since it can not only add fine detail and reduce noise by 1 stop via PRIME (very essential when shooting m43 and the best noise reduction software on the market today), it can also correct perspective and fisheye lenses perfectly through RAW with minimal detail loss through DXO ViewPoint (it's part of DXO Suite if you bought it). The FilmPack adds character to your final output (it's part of DXO Suite also if you bought it). Basically, you can do all that in one shot rather than going through a plug in which DXO offers for Lightroom and Photoshop. You can still use Aperture as your DAM and DXO as your RAW software. I use Picasa as my DAM and switch between DXO Optics Pro and On1 Photo Suite under Picasa when I need to get a clean RAW conversion and then do mask layering via On1 Photo Suite or focus stacking via Helicon Focus and smart sharpening using Nik Capture NX2. I have Lightroom and Photoshop, but because of the subscription model, I have been transitioning AWAY from Adobe and into these other FINE products. I also used Aperture long ago but was bothered by its slower than molasses performance as soon as I have lots of images on my RAID drives. Picasa is much faster and lighter; sort of like the software I loved using on the PC then called "PhotoMechanic".

Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  6. kauphymug

kauphymug Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2015
    Cowford, Florida
    It's kind of late to "try before you buy" since this is the last day of the 50% off deal. Like bikerhiker I have the full suite, Optics Pro, LR and some of the other manipulation programs and find I don't even use Photoshop any more.
    Go ahead and download you have a few hours before the "deal" expires. Give it a quick test drive, you'll probably buy it. If you don't like it blame it on me and bikerhiker. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  7. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    I'll probably do the trial as soon as I get home.

P.

8. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    FWIW $20 cheaper than the "special" I got just 2 months ago. Good software.

9. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

I use DXO optics pro as a plugin from Lightroom. It does a fine job with RAW files, although the control sliders are clunky compared to Lightroom or Aperture.
    There is a Photos plugin available now on the App Store, I have downloaded it but it doesn't seem to allow the full use of all DXOs controls, maybe I'm missing something as I haven't tested it much.
    Bottom line is at current pricing Optics Pro is definitely worth buying, it's a very useful tool to have.

10. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I use and rate DxO optics pro very highly, and it is a fantastic raw converter for detail and noise reduction and overall color, but for finer localized edits and HSL adjustments, or grads, etc I prefer LR, Or Photoshop, with NIK. For underwater photo processing in particular.

However, I think the vast majority of my photos are only polished and processed with DxO, and almost all the rest pass through DxO and then go into an Adobe product.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    Downloaded trial, just to see if it worked with my hardware. Once I got it running, and saw it was stable I took a chance and purchased.

Spent a little bit of time playing with it and am fairly impressed. First of all, it ain't magic, but the standard processing does yield some very clean images with excellent color and dynamic range.

As a RAW translator, it looks to be quite good. I imagine it will be quite useful to get a bunch of photos prepped and ready pretty quickly.

P.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. kauphymug

kauphymug Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2015
    Cowford, Florida
    Great! The more you use it the more you'll discover. The biggest problem is you're gonna tweak, tweak, tweak, hey I didn't know it would do that, reset, tweak, tweak.
    Make sure your monitor is calibrated otherwise there may be surprises when you print. What you see might not be what you get.

I spent hours on one photo experimenting before creating presets. Now it's just a couple clicks.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  13. maritan

maritan Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    A little late since you've already purchased it, but I love DxO. Have the entire suite, but have used only the Optics Pro portion of it so far.

I reprocessed some pictures from my Kauai trip earlier in 2015 and DxO allowed me to pull a lot more detail out of some blown out areas in one of my pictures than my previously used LR/ PS combination.

I have tried to move away from Adobe too: I use MacPhun SnapSelect to cull my photos and then move my picks to a separate folder. Then, I launch DxO and navigate to that folder and do the global processing. The one knock I have against it is the lack of local adjustments. So, if I need localized adjustments and more serious tweaking, I use Affinity Photo which is also a phenomenal piece of software.

Enjoy DxO. I know I do.

14. RakSiam

RakSiam Mu-43 Regular

Oct 11, 2013
    They do run frequent sales.

I love Optics Pro 10. It's easy to create presets. Clearview is magic and I really like their Smart Lighting function as well as the noise reduction. And they do add new camera/lens modules frequently. I think all of my lenses are covered with my E-M1. I am frequently astonished by just the basic results before I start tweaking anything. For wide angle lenses the automatic correction of the distortion is eye-opening. I shoot most of the time with the 12-40mm frequently at the wider end so seeing the before and after is always interesting.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. mannukiddo

mannukiddo Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 28, 2013
    India
    I use LR CC and the DxO 10. The view point software that is really unique in its abilities used to be part of the DxO pro v 9.0. Now they want extra as they have made it a stand alone product. Other than this, I think it is a very good PP and RAW converter. But I do miss abilities like cloning tool and the adjustment brush for deep PP.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1