1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

DXO Software Half Off for Black Friday - What's Good?

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by agentlossing, Nov 22, 2018.

1. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    The DXO site has 50% off all software today. For those who use it, what would be the most cost effective and useful software to pick up?

2. Tilman Paulin

Tilman Paulin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2013
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Be prepared for lots of different answers :) 
    I've owned all of them and have used them with different "appreciation":

I simply can't like their main software - now Photolabs - previously DXO Optics Pro - no matter how often I tried :) 

My main recommendation would be the Nik Plugins at this point. I've been using them for years and re-bought them today.

I also finally updated to their latest film-emulation "FilmPack" - some nice presets in there, but of much more limited use.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. Egregius V

Egregius V Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Jun 14, 2015
    Massachusetts, USA
    Rev. Gregory Vozzo
    I love PhotoLab plus ViewPoint. I hardly use anything else except Photomatix and free editors. FilmPack might be worth adding at this price. I already have FilmPack 5 Essential edition for free, making it hard to try the Elite edition as an add on to PhotoLab. After watching a couple of long demo videos, I’m convinced. It’s just about irresistible at half off. Whatever doubts remain, my wallet doesn’t stand a chance here.

PhotoLab 2, while already rather good, isn’t yet what it is promised to become over the course of the next 11 months. I hope DxO can deliver. I believe the next update is scheduled for December. Upgrading now looks much more attractive at $45 than at $69 - I’ll almost certainly go for it.

I’ve no opinion about the Nik Collection. It’s the old free toolkit with bug fixes and compatibility updates. I don’t think it adds much value if you buy DxO’s other software instead. However, it does work differently - I wouldn’t call it redundant.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Well I bit the bullet on the Nik collection. I know it used to be free, but $35 was pretty reasonable and I've been trying to shake up my image processing.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Fuchalmania

Fuchalmania Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 11, 2017
    I went the Elite suite as I needed a decent processing solution (PhotoLab and ViewPoint) and liked the film emulators of FilmPack 5.

If I already had ON1 or LR or PS, I'd probably have just got the Nik Collection 2018 and used it as a plug-in to those. It has the emulators of FilmPack5 Elite. But it doesn't integrate with PhotoLab. Makes sense though; FilmPack5 does integrate to PhotoLab and offers the same filters/emulators.

6. Kharan

Kharan Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 10, 2013
    I bought PhotoLab 2, since the Prime Denoise engine appears to be a tremendous addition for cameras with smaller sensors. I've seen many samples from other people, and was consistently impressed with them.

7. They haven't got me. I have resisted, though it has been hard.

I have a long way to go before being truly proficient with Photoshop and Lightroom. Buying more software isn't going to help me in my quest.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Okay, confused. Do the Nik Collection apps not have desktop shortcuts or app menu entries? I've installed but they only exist within their folders in Program Files.

9. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    No shortcuts as such, but in Photoshop you can have a floating launcher box, which can be set to open when you start Photoshop.

I’m not near my laptop right now and can’t give you specific instructions, but there will be plenty of useful tutorials and videos on the interwebs to get you going.

Edit:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  10. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 17, 2012
    UK
    Actually, the plugins simplify complex editing, that is the point of them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. bahamot

bahamot Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Dec 4, 2015
    Irwan
    The plugin will appear like this in Photoshop. Note that I'm using the older free version from Google.
    Untitled-1.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

12. Fuchalmania

Fuchalmania Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 11, 2017
    You can run the software elements of Nik Collection as standalone. This article here explains it all: How to Run Nik Collection Standalone Without Photoshop or Lightroom

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Just what I needed. Thanks guys!

14. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I'm a big fan of DXO photolab; much prefer the results compared to what I can get done with Lightroom (I have both) in almost all cases, provided the camera and lens you use are supported. I've been using DxO software since I think version 3 of optics pro. Also think viewpoint is very good if you find yourself needing that type of processing often (I rarely do).

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. PannyPaul

PannyPaul Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2017
    I picked up Nik tools. Rude not to at the price

16. Mountain

Mountain Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 2, 2013
    Colorado
    Just picked up the upgrade from an older version of DXO Optics Pro, the upgrade price is also 50% off. We'll see how the local adjustments go, since I have been using lightroom in place of DXO for many applications because of the local adjustments (previously unavailable through DXO) and graduated filters, brushes, etc. It would be nice to go back to using just one application.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.