DXO Software Half Off for Black Friday - What's Good?

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
The DXO site has 50% off all software today. For those who use it, what would be the most cost effective and useful software to pick up?

Tilman Paulin

Mu-43 Veteran
Be prepared for lots of different answers :)
I've owned all of them and have used them with different "appreciation":

I simply can't like their main software - now Photolabs - previously DXO Optics Pro - no matter how often I tried :)

My main recommendation would be the Nik Plugins at this point. I've been using them for years and re-bought them today.

I also finally updated to their latest film-emulation "FilmPack" - some nice presets in there, but of much more limited use.

Egregius V

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rev. Gregory Vozzo
I love PhotoLab plus ViewPoint. I hardly use anything else except Photomatix and free editors. FilmPack might be worth adding at this price. I already have FilmPack 5 Essential edition for free, making it hard to try the Elite edition as an add on to PhotoLab. After watching a couple of long demo videos, I’m convinced. It’s just about irresistible at half off. Whatever doubts remain, my wallet doesn’t stand a chance here.

PhotoLab 2, while already rather good, isn’t yet what it is promised to become over the course of the next 11 months. I hope DxO can deliver. I believe the next update is scheduled for December. Upgrading now looks much more attractive at $45 than at $69 - I’ll almost certainly go for it.

I’ve no opinion about the Nik Collection. It’s the old free toolkit with bug fixes and compatibility updates. I don’t think it adds much value if you buy DxO’s other software instead. However, it does work differently - I wouldn’t call it redundant.

Last edited:

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
Well I bit the bullet on the Nik collection. I know it used to be free, but $35 was pretty reasonable and I've been trying to shake up my image processing.

I went the Elite suite as I needed a decent processing solution (PhotoLab and ViewPoint) and liked the film emulators of FilmPack 5.

If I already had ON1 or LR or PS, I'd probably have just got the Nik Collection 2018 and used it as a plug-in to those. It has the emulators of FilmPack5 Elite. But it doesn't integrate with PhotoLab. Makes sense though; FilmPack5 does integrate to PhotoLab and offers the same filters/emulators.

Kharan

Mu-43 Rookie
I bought PhotoLab 2, since the Prime Denoise engine appears to be a tremendous addition for cameras with smaller sensors. I've seen many samples from other people, and was consistently impressed with them.

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
Okay, confused. Do the Nik Collection apps not have desktop shortcuts or app menu entries? I've installed but they only exist within their folders in Program Files.

PeeBee

Mu-43 All-Pro
Okay, confused. Do the Nik Collection apps not have desktop shortcuts or app menu entries? I've installed but they only exist within their folders in Program Files.
No shortcuts as such, but in Photoshop you can have a floating launcher box, which can be set to open when you start Photoshop.

I’m not near my laptop right now and can’t give you specific instructions, but there will be plenty of useful tutorials and videos on the interwebs to get you going.

Edit:

Last edited:

PeeBee

Mu-43 All-Pro
They haven't got me. I have resisted, though it has been hard.

I have a long way to go before being truly proficient with Photoshop and Lightroom. Buying more software isn't going to help me in my quest.
Actually, the plugins simplify complex editing, that is the point of them.

bahamot

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Irwan
The plugin will appear like this in Photoshop. Note that I'm using the older free version from Google.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

mattia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I'm a big fan of DXO photolab; much prefer the results compared to what I can get done with Lightroom (I have both) in almost all cases, provided the camera and lens you use are supported. I've been using DxO software since I think version 3 of optics pro. Also think viewpoint is very good if you find yourself needing that type of processing often (I rarely do).

Just picked up the upgrade from an older version of DXO Optics Pro, the upgrade price is also 50% off. We'll see how the local adjustments go, since I have been using lightroom in place of DXO for many applications because of the local adjustments (previously unavailable through DXO) and graduated filters, brushes, etc. It would be nice to go back to using just one application.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom