1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

DXO sensor rating

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by brianvickers, Feb 12, 2012.

1. brianvickers

brianvickers Mu-43 Regular

Jul 1, 2011
    I've seen this resource quoted in many reviews - but the overall rating of the E-P1 (55) is better than the E-P3 (51).
    Also the GX1 is (55)....so if the OMD is based on a GX1 sensor it will be better than E-P3 and only as good as the E-P1 and GX1

confusing eh?

2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Olympus appears to get more out of Panasonic sensors than Panasonic itself. This same factor can be said for Pentax & Nikon who appear to get more out of Sony sensors than Sony itself.

There's a reason why Panasonic & Sony are known as electronics companies whereas as Olympus, Pentax, & Nikon are known as camera companies.

• Like Like x 2
  3. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    Well, the usual way to deal with that is either ignoring or saying that DxO isn't serious at all.

Seriously, in my experience looking at the measurements of DxO makes sense, but the overall score is completely useless. At the end of the day the usefulness of DxO is restricted by the ability to interpret the given data by the interpreter.

4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    DxO's overall score is a bizarre, nonsensical, and seemingly arbitrary combination of scores in a way that doesn't reflect real world use at all. Look at the individual measures instead.

5. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    DxO looks at the raw files and not at the JPEGs.

In a world in which cameras are electronic devices, electronics companies can be experts in building cameras. We are living in such a world. At the moment the cameras of camera companies are designed mostly like traditional cameras. On the other hand electronics companies like Sony leave tradition and begin to introduce modern designs which are much more consistent with digital photography than traditional designs. However, the traditional design had taken many years until they worked perfectly, so we should not expect modern designs to be perfect from the beginning. At the moment it is easy to blame electronics companies for not getting it completely right. Cameras will have to reinvented, because the markets are nearly saturated. Electronics companies are leaders in developing modern designs and will most probably be ready before camera companies.

6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I think that if you read most reviews outside of (other than) DXO Mark tests, you'll see that Olympus maximizes Panasonic sensor potential better than Panasonic. You'll also see that Pentax & Nikon maximize Sony sensor capabilities better than Sony itself.

Panasonic lenses would seriously suffer without Leica help. Sony lenses would suffer without Zeiss & Minolta. Olympus, Pentax, & Nikon have established that they can make excellent glass within themselves.

So yes, Panasonic & Sony are electronics companies.

7. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Ignore the overall rating. It's a bad idea on DXO Mark's behalf. Just look at the individual tests, as the other posters here have mentioned.

Think about this - some sensors are specialized for high ISO (D4) while others are optimized for lower ISO, high resolution (D800). Comparing those two using an "overall score" does not make sense. Resorting to a car analogy (oh noes!), it's like using the same 0..100 scale scoring comparing a Prius to a Ferrari. They're both good for their intended purpose/goals, which are obviously not the same.

8. brianvickers

Jul 1, 2011
    How do you get to the individual measure...I cant see a link?

9. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I like that.
    :thiagree:

10. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    DxOMark - Camera Sensor Database

You click on an individual camera - on that camera's overview page, there is a tab for measurements.

You can also click on "compare cameras" and select up to 3 cameras to see all of their results on the same measurement graphs.

11. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    This reminds to ask if anyone knows why DIWA Labs results seem to look a bit different. I think they use some DXO software, but seems like the interpretation may be different?

12. brianvickers

Jul 1, 2011
    Thanks...got it now;
    noise is the killer for me, according to the detail measurements my 50D (696) and E-P1 (536) is lagging way behind the NEX 5N/7 (1079/1016)...so my expectations for the OM-D are high - not that I do lots of sports photography but I do landscape in low light.
    thanks again!

• Like Like x 1
  13. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    They do have the GX1 test results, so you could use that camera as a OM-D placeholder. DR and SNR seems to be close enough from 800-1600 ISO where the fast m4/3 prime lenses and IBIS (okay, for mostly stationary subjects) of the OM-D will offset the NEX7 sensor advantage, imo, or at least close enough for me anyways. :smile:

14. brianvickers

Jul 1, 2011
    Yeah GX1 ISO is 703, so better than E-P1 by about 30% and virtually the same as 50D but 300 behind NEX and 1100 behind 5DMKII.

Am I right in assuming that a score of 1000 compared with a score of 500 means a 1 stop difference?
    Sorry to be a pain just trying to rationalise a big investment.