1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

DXO review/test of the OM-D E-M5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by arad85, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Thanks mate ,
    Its interesting that DXO Mark too quite a long to publish this . Pentax K5 had the maximum score for any non-FF camera and OMD beats that camera hands down in every department and hence it has a score of 71 . But thats Okay .I was expecting them to give it a score of 60 or something .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Whew.

Okay, as an aspiring cool kid, I will say that, of course, I didn't care what the DXO results were, but I can't help breath a sigh of relief. APS-C CSC troll attacks averted for a while! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  3. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Well, I have a K-01 (relatively close to the K5) and an OM-D and I can say with pretty high confidence that the Olympus does not beat the Pentax for DR or noise (or probably any other DXO-sensor-related metric). Obviously, the Olympus does win in other areas that matter to me, I get to use great m4/3 lenses, and I use it a heck of a lot more than the Pentax!

• Like Like x 1
  4. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    Looks like expected results, best in m43 but not quite (pretty close) up to APS-C mirrorless cameras

• Like Like x 1
  5. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    The interesting thing for me is that the ISO measurements. The OM-D over reports ISO by a stop - ISO 200 is actually ISO 100, so two things come to mind. Firstly, it means that the base ISO of the sensor is likely ISO 100. Secondly, when people say "wow, look at this high ISO image" it isn't actually as high an ISO image as they think it is.

6. Bhupinder2002

??I think its pretty close and DXO Mark will be ver careful in awarding this MFT sensor a score higher than some of the best APS-C . I dont bother about this number as camera speaks itself. NEX series is nice and I had SONY 5N for 24 hrs and I can tell u , there is no camera manufacturer to match WB on Olympus . Sony;s WB just sucks .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

7. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    To date, the OM-D E-M5 is the best compact micro 4:3 sensor in terms of low-light sensitivity, achieving a score that is fairly close to those for APS-C sensors.

Pretty good achievement for m43'rds.

8. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Looks like DXO already did give a m4/3 a higher score than a current APS-C (Canon 7D with 66):

DxOMark - Compare cameras side by side

Just trying to point out that I don't think they are holding back on the OM-D. :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  9. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
  10. Sanpaku

Sanpaku Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2012
    m43 needed this camera

Ironically, Panasonic's decision to sell only 12 megapixel sensors to Olympus was what the format needed to get out of a sensor rut.

DxO's measurements for all m43 cameras, with the OM-D EM-5 highlighted:
    67mv03.
    345nfhv.
    2as4ti.
    2dvkjcx.

11. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    This is good news for the format. I am guessing the GH3 is going to score very well also, and then we have a plethora of ridiculously good lenses being released (and already in the ecosystem). Good stuff!

• Like Like x 1
  12. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Yeah, that's what I'm not understanding...I did some Sunny 16 tests on my OM-D and found that it was metering perfectly accurately at ISO200 as ISO200.

13. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I never realized how much Olympus understates its rated ISO in comparison to say, the GH2.

Nothing unexpected here, at least, to me.

14. I assume that the implication is that the raw files that we can see have been manipulated to show the expected sensitivity, but that they have decoded the raws and found that the true sensitivity is less than indicated. It could explain why it took so long to publish their findings.

15. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    71 is impressive result. Seems like a decade apart from GX1 (55) in sensor development. E-PM2 is starting to look like a true winner now. Also quite a bit better than Canon's semi-pro 7D. It also beats all Canon APS-C cameras (probably including the upcoming EOS-M) by quite a healthy margin. To me OM-D sensor basically makes all other m43 sensors immediately obsolete.

• Like Like x 1
  16. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I've got a roll of Kodak Gold 200 in my Contax G1 now - how do you guys rate that? :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  17. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    You don't want to know the number. Very bad. I would just send that G1 to me and put it out of your mind.

BTW, you are going to have the same number on your upcoming PEN.

18. Bhupinder2002

I second this . I also have Sony a580 at my disposal and it has same sensor which Nikon D7000 and Pentax K5 use . OMD outperforms it in every department including high ISO performance . Its amazing how this format has evolved .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

19. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    this makes you a photographer vs the rest of us, gear geeks