DXO Pro 9 $99

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by gugarci, Oct 27, 2013.

1. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    Although I have the latest version of LR I'm tempted to buy DXO Pro 9 since it's only $99.
    I read the DP Review a while ago and it was impressive. I think I read on this site that it does a better job than LR getting the Olympus colors right out of the bx. Any DXO users here care to comment.
    http://www.dxo.com/intl/photography/dxo-optics-pro

2. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    Wow no local adjustment brushes. That's a deal breaker.

3. Kpfeifle

Kpfeifle Mu-43 Regular

Not really. I use dxo to convert from raw. I find it does a better job then lightroom and I like that the have specific lens information. For additional processing, I save as a dng and import into lr. I can then use lr or any other plugin (like topaz) that I want.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Mu-43 mobile app

4. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    I don't really want to spend hours at the PC for my photos, so DxO works for me. I really like the automatic lens corrections (vignetting, distortion), since I do a lot of wide-angle, architecture shots. Keystoning helps here too.

Final processing runs in the background and is almost 100% CPU-bound, so having fast CPUs and multiple cores helps.

• Like Like x 1
  5. RakSiam

RakSiam Mu-43 Regular

Oct 11, 2013
    I used OP8 extensively for images out of my E-M5 and really like it. Now that I have an E-M1 I am at a bit of a quandary. E-M1 will only be supported by the "Elite" version of OP9. So that's an extra $100 I'll have to spend to upgrade. I've been using Olympus Viewer 3 for my E-M1 pp up to now. I've more or less gotten the hang of it and I think it does a decent job. But I think OP9 is a much more sophisticated program. Decisions, decisions...

• Like Like x 1
  6. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    Bob
    Thanks for your post, RakSiam! I've been using OP8 (standard edition) also and was just about to pull the trigger on the #9 upgrade but... since I plan on replacing my second body (E-PL2) with an E-M1 and turning my present first-body E-M5 into the second body camera, I may have to think about this a bit more. But at least there's a week left before the special price expires :biggrin:

7. figure five

figure five Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2013
    Minneapolis, MN
    My typical workflow on a Nikon APS-C body has been DXO --> LR4 --> print / web. I'm new to M4/3 territory, is the E-M5 and all possible lens combinations covered by DXO 8/9? Have you been getting good results, esp with ultrawides?

thanks

FF

8. Sela69

Sela69 Mu-43 Regular

Yes E-M5 and related lens are really well covered, and the result of the corrections is really nice.

9. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    DxO is my raw converter. Anything that needs local adjustment/goes to print goes DxO --> TIFF (16 bit) --> Lightroom/Photoshop/Nik (as appropriate to the task).

10. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    I uninstalled it last week. It still would not recognize some test EM-1 raw file I downloaded. I'm sticking with LR and will use the Huelight profiles. Since I'm going to buy an EM-1 in a couple of month I bought the profiles already,.

11. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    Travelographer and self confessed Hexaholic
    I'm eyeing up DXO, I'm new the image processing but time and time again I see it labelled as the "best" RAW processor.

But is probably not ideal as a stand alone package.

What other software would you use with it. I'm considering LR5, Elements 12 & premiere or Coral PSP X6.

12. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Download the free trial and give it a spin - and read their documentation on how to integrate the workflow with Lighroom. LR is a good RAW processor in its own right, and I have both (the joys of educational pricing on Adobe products, I'm enjoying it while it lasts. Good to be employed by a university...), but it's real advantage other than local adjustment brushes lies in integration with other software and asset management (building a library of images, tagging, etc.).

13. RakSiam

RakSiam Mu-43 Regular

Oct 11, 2013
    E-M1 support is still not available but according to their website they plan to have some E-M1 modules available in December. So it shouldn't be much longer to wait.

IMHO Optics Pro is a good stand alone option for the most part. I never have had to do much else to those files. I do have PS6 which I mainly use for HDR processing with the Nik HDR Efx Pro plug in.

However I will also say that the Olympus Viewer 3 software does a pretty good job in it's own right once you get the hang of it.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Gyles

Gyles Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2012
    Sunny Norfolk, UK
    Travelographer and self confessed Hexaholic
    Right then, I've just picked up Paintshop Pro X6 ultimate for silly money in a black Friday sale.

Found DXO Pro 9 for a reasonable price, but not really low.......anyone know anywhere in the UK selling it cheap.......

Even at the prices I've found these two bits of software work out about the same price as LR5. (although it's on sale via download)

Call me old fashioned, but at least I'll have proper discs.

15. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Gotta say I'm very pleased with DXO 9. It does a great job on raws. LR just makes boring looking images, that can be fixed with tinkering of course but that takes time.

The thing that blew me away is the camera body settings. I can now get Nikon or Oly colors on Panasonic raws with one click. I'm still on the fence on prime NR. I feel it blurs a bit too much. I'm sure I can tweak that though. All in all a great program.

• Like Like x 1
  16. OldRadioGuy

OldRadioGuy Enthusiast Amateur

Nov 11, 2012
    Austin, Texas USA
    Bob
    Comparing DxO Optics Pro with Lightroom is a bit like comparing apples with a fruit salad.

DxO is a raw converter. Lightroom is a raw converter and a digital asset manager. But both need integration with something else.

I have been using DxO through the last few versions, and it has produced great renderings from my Olympus cameras -- first the Evolts, now the OM-5s -- usually automatically. (The E-M1 modules with most of the Olympus and Panasonic lenses are promised for next month.)DxO's support of camera-lens combinations is second to none.

DxO Optics Pro 9 has a great new noise reduction feature they claim adds another stop to the useability of an image.

The major weakness of DxO Optics pro is its inability to adequately recover blown highlights. I find myself turning to Photo Ninja for that task, and the latest version of Raw Therapee also does a better job in that regard.

As far as editors to match with DxO -- for the non-Adobe crowd, there's Paintshop Pro X6 (x64 now and much improved), the German-published editor PhotoLine (very powerful but "geeky") and Zoner Photo Studio 16 PRO.

ZPS, a Windows only product, is also an image manager, taking a much better approach to digital asset management than Lightroom, in my opinion. It also has a raw conversion module. Zoner PRO is very fast, and the editor is excellent. It does not handle layers in the conventional way of Photoshop, PSP and PhotoLine, however. In the editor, adjustments are applied to a new layer, different blends can be applied, opacity can be altered, but you don't have other layer access. Even though it has both x64 and x32 versions, ZPS will not run x64 8bf plugins. Other external editors can be launched from within Zoner Photo Studio 16 PRO. It's a great program and cheap -- $89 USD for the PRO version.

PaintShop Pro is also Windows only. It does conventional layers and records scripts (actions) like Photoshop and PhotoLine. It does run both the Google NIK plugins and the Topaz Labs plugins.

From a technical perspective, PhotoLine, Windows and Mac, is the best of the three editor options I've listed here. It runs the conventional 8bf plugins (both x32 and x64)and many can be recorded in actions. In addition to the ability to work in layers, PL has a very long list of adjustment layers for non-destructive editing. The latest version of PhotoLine added the ability to run an external program within PhotoLine. This is the company's way around the new Photoshop-standard plugins that won't run in other programs. These usually come with standalones, and they can be added to the adjustments within PL. But PhotoLine is unconventional, requiring investment of more time to learn the program.

There's also another possible option to work with DxO Optics Pro. That's Photo Perfect Suite 8 from onOneSoftware. For years this company produced plugins that essentially competed with NIK and Topaz. But recently they started combining those plugins in a package that included a layers module. The standalone version, the cheapest of three options, might work for some. The latest package includes a browser and layers, B&W, Enhance, Effects, Portrait, Mask and Resize modules.

Bob

• Like Like x 3
  17. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    Very helpful analysis, Bob, thank you.

18. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Hi Bob,

Thank you so much for your really helpful analysis.

I've tried the LR5.3RC with my E-M1 and I've picked up the huelight colour profiles. They look great, but I find that I have to do a lot with LR to get the images the way I want them.

I'm not after a new Raw manager per say, but a really good raw processor. I've seen Rob Knights tutorial on batch processing from Oly viewer 3 into LR. I like that except that if I have blown an exposure, it is next to impossible to recover the highlights within OV, which means I am straight back to Raw in LR if I want to recover highlights.

The hue light colour profiles are great, but they don't quite match up with what OV3 and the camera itself spits out.

Can you tell me how the colour output from DXO Optics 9 matches up subjectively with that from in camera or Olympus Viewer 3 ???

Also how do you find the default sharpening / sharpening in general in DXO compared with say Lightroom 5.3 and Nik Dfine and Sharpener....

Thanks,

Tom.

19. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    I had the those exact issues with Lightroom. Boring colors and lots of work to get them to match the default Oly colors. Dxo has great punchy images right when you open them. Default sharpening is perfect to to my taste as is NR. Both are strong but not overdone. The coolest thing is being able to chose color profiles of other camera brands. Want Nikon colors. One click. Lots of bodies to chose from including Sony, Canon and Oly (older bodies but similar profiles to the Pen line).

You've got nothing to lose but time. The trial is free for 30 days.