DXO PL4 newbie

Can someone point me to a step by step list to process raw photos in this software, please? It is a completely different interface and I am lost trying to find things. I don’t know if this is available but thought I would ask. Thanks for your help.

Toddster

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Todd Cleaver
Simply open DxO PL and navigate to the folder with your files. PL will offer to download the modules for the camera and lens combinations of all of the files in the folder you select. Once the modules are downloaded the default corrections will be applied with the DxO Standard preset (if you haven't changed anything in preferences). That will give you a really good starting point with your raw files; in many cases you may find you don't need any further adjustments.

betamax

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Alan
If it's any consolation the interface is laid out a little bit more logically in PL4 compared to earlier versions I'd tried. As per the first response, just navigate to the folder containing your images from the folders option in the left sidebar of PL4.

PL4 doesn't import your photos into your computer. You need to do that yourself, or use your old DAM (if you had one), or some of the free options out there, to import and then just navigate into the folder.

Toddster

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Todd Cleaver
PL4 doesn't import your photos into your computer. You need to do that yourself
Given the question was about processing I just assumed that the files were already on the computer. Yes. @betamax is correct, it's up to you how you get the files onto your computer.

With that in mind, it's probably worth mentioning that DxO PL is first and foremost a raw developer. It is not a DAM and it doesn't do layers (so no stacking, merging, etc.). For my money it is the best raw developer I have ever used. Sometimes though people get frustrated when the think it's a do everything tool, it's not.

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
I agree with what the others have said above,
I started out with DxO and have not tried other programs much so I can't speak to how the UI differs.
But since all the processing you do is kept in a sidecar file (.dop) and no changes are done to the files you are processing you can experiment without worry!
The changes are applied as you export the image, so your new exported file will reflex your processing.
I think the names of the controls are mostly the same as in other programs, so just have to find them in the menu.

MadMarco

Mu-43 Veteran
If you shoot jpg+raw then the first thing you want to do is open the filter images menu and deselect RGB (jpg), that will mean you are only looking at the RAW files. Start with the DxO Standard preset and then adjust from there. Common settings that I play with are:
  • Raw white balance - As shot and then go from there
  • DxO Smart Lighting - 25
  • DxO ClearView Plus - 25
  • Contrast
    • Micro contrast - 5
    • Fine contrast - 10
  • DxO Denoising - DeepPrime
    • Luminance - 30
    • Dead pixels - 24
  • Unsharp mask - depends on lens and subject
When you find a set of general settings that you like, then you can save them as a preset. So when I start on a new set of photos I have a separate preset for each camera that I use to get me started. It's also worth saying that the Horizon and Rectangle perspective correct tools are excellent at correcting wonky lines and straitening buildings.

Thanks madmacro. That’s a great start. Thanks to all for the insight. I have to get used to what I am looking at. Also learn when I make an adjustment what impact it will have.

With that in mind, it's probably worth mentioning that DxO PL is first and foremost a raw developer. It is not a DAM and it doesn't do layers (so no stacking, merging, etc.). For my money it is the best raw developer I have ever used. Sometimes though people get frustrated when the think it's a do everything tool, it's not.
Do you (or anyone else) have any advice for a DAM to use next to PL4?

stevedo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
Do you (or anyone else) have any advice for a DAM to use next to PL4?
I use Lightroom with PL4. They work really well together. I trialled IMatch but didn't gel with it.

If you don't already have an Adobe subscription be aware that you can pay for 12 months and then cancel your subscription. Even after you cancel you can continue to use the DAM functions. The edit and map modules will stop working and Photoshop will also stop. You will still be able to add new photos, keywords, metadata, print etc.

Thanks for the advice. I'm planning on trying/buying DXO Photo lab 4 as a replacement for Lightroom 6. But I have no intention in spending also money on the DAM tool at this moment. I see Adobe Bridge is a free tool for photo management. I give that a try.

mcasan

Mu-43 All-Pro
Years ago I used Photo Mechanic with earlier PL. Good combo. Now there is a Photo Mechanic with cataloging database.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom