DxO PhotoLab Tips & Tricks

Real Name
Ian
Yes, buy the DXO Viewpoint when it goes on sale. The power and ability of that to straighten and manipulate an image is unreal. Very simple, and very powerful.

EDIT: Viewpoint is currently on sale for $50. Buy it, it's worth it. It is hands-down the best/most powerful set of straightening tools I've used.

Last edited:
Real Name
Todd Cleaver
PSA concerning Filmpack 5

Filmpack 5 Elite is a great add on for DxO PL. I was a bit frustrated to find that it was required in order to add a vignette to an image, that function is not included with PL Elite, and FilmPack is not cheap. After a little research I found that there are still some boxed versions of the software available (boxed versions have been discontinued). These are full, legitimate retail packages that were previously available from places like B&H, Adorama, etc. They are now in the hands of discounters and liquidators offering them at a fraction of the cost.

Let me be clear that I NEVER support buying software 'keys' from shady sources to save money. In my opinion that is flat out stealing. However these are boxed versions of software (and the key) that DxO sold into the retail channel that did not sell. They are now being liquidated at bargain prices, no harm, no foul. I was able to purchase one for about $25, the retail box was still shrink wrapped and contained a the software disk and key. I was already trialing Filmpack 5 so I was able to simply enter the key to activate my license.

I am in the USA so I have no idea if the same opportunity exists elsewhere but I did think this was worth passing on considering all the new folks interested in PhotoLab right now.

BosseBe

Mu-43 All-Pro

Filmpack 5 Elite is a great add on for DxO PL. I was a bit frustrated to find that it was required in order to add a vignette to an image, that function is not included with PL Elite, and FilmPack is not cheap. After a little research I found that there are still some boxed versions of the software available (boxed versions have been discontinued). These are full, legitimate retail packages that were previously available from places like B&H, Adorama, etc. They are now in the hands of discounters and liquidators offering them at a fraction of the cost.

Let me be clear that I NEVER support buying software 'keys' from shady sources to save money. In my opinion that is flat out stealing. However these are boxed versions of software (and the key) that DxO sold into the retail channel that did not sell. They are now being liquidated at bargain prices, no harm, no foul. I was able to purchase one for about $25, the retail box was still shrink wrapped and contained a the software disk and key. I was already trialing Filmpack 5 so I was able to simply enter the key to activate my license.

I am in the USA so I have no idea if the same opportunity exists elsewhere but I did think this was worth passing on considering all the new folks interested in PhotoLab right now.
The price of Viewpoint and Filmpack is currently €50 (49.99) each on the DxO web, down from €75 in Europe.
The upgrade cycle of Viewpoint and Filmpack is slower than PL, so cost of owning is less. (Is this good or bad?)

Real Name
Ian

Todd,

Do you care to share what retailer you bought your DXO Film Pack Elite from?

Real Name
Todd Cleaver

billca

Mu-43 Regular
I already have DXO Photo Lab 2 and am interested in Viewpoint. Does Viewpoint fully intergrate into Photolab 2 after download, or is it a stand alone program.
Thanks

Real Name
Ian

BosseBe

Mu-43 All-Pro
Thank you Todd. I just bought a copy myself. For $25, it's a worth upgrade from the "Essential" version I've had (which I got for free).
Well, I hope you realize that you are now stuck in their net, they gave you the Essential for free to get you to buy the add-ons and eventually you will realize that you need to get the Elite version! 😎

I'm full in and don't regret it!

Real Name
Ian
Well, I hope you realize that you are now stuck in their net, they gave you the Essential for free to get you to buy the add-ons and eventually you will realize that you need to get the Elite version! 😎

I'm full in and don't regret it!
I’ve been using DXO since PL first came out, so it’s been a while now. I too don’t regret making the switch from Lightroom.

BosseBe

Mu-43 All-Pro
I’ve been using DXO since PL first came out, so it’s been a while now. I too don’t regret making the switch from Lightroom.
I actually started with DxO (OpticsPro10 I think) , when I looked around for a raw editor I found the Adobe monthly plan not to my liking as it meant I had to pay every month to use it, I didn't then know if I would be into photography for the long haul, so I wanted something I could use "forever" even after I stopped being active in photography.
If my calculations are correct, the cost of owning DxO Elite with FilmPack and ViewPoint (with upgrading) is not greater than using the Adobe.

Real Name
Ian
@Toddster , thanks again for the tip about super cheap copies of DXO Filmpack 5 Elite on eBay. I picked up a copy for $25 (DXO wanted to charge $99 for it "on sale"), and it showed up yesterday. I had no issues activating the software, and DXO PL2 immediately recognized it.

Thanks again for saving me $75! (now I can go spend it at Lowe's or Home Depot this weekend on home improvement "stuff").

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom