DxO Photolab 4 is out now

billca

Mu-43 Veteran
I went for X570 chipset because I wanted to be future proof for some years, PCIe4 for M2 drive gives (What they say) >5000MB/s and PCIe >3000MB/s, I am sure I would have been satisfied with PCIe3, but since I am building new I want to use the newest tech, maybe not the absolute newest as that is expensive and deprecates fast, but at the level below somewhere.
For the PSU I wanted to have the Fractal Design Ion 760W as it is Platinum, but that will not be in stock anywhere until February, so i went with the Corsair. (I like to buy Swedish if I can.)
32GB RAM is certainly overkill today, but it should be future proof.
The Noctua NH-D15 is definitely overkill! I have a NH-U12S on my FX8350 and that is enough for that power hungry CPU, so something like the Noctua NH-D14 should be enough. but I like silent so D15 it was. The NH-D15 is high, so you must be sure your chassis can handle it.
I have been forced to buy from 3 different shops to get the best prices and for them to have it in stock, so on Tuesday or so I will get the final components, then the build will probably be next weekend.

I will report back with some comparison number for DeepPrime.

Sounds good. My case wont take above 150mm so currently looking at the little twin tower Noctua NH-D9L. It should be a major improvement over the stock cooler. Plus the main a.i load is going to be handled by the GPU. when /if it arrives.
A short supply of the Asus 1660s right now.

JLGF1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jerry
Seems that some of the posher Deep Prime features are only available in the 'elite' edition.

Prime/Deep-Prime NR has always been the Elite version. Essential version is std NR (Elite has both).

rlb

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Rob
I've been playing around with the trial version today and I'm getting fairly pleasing results (to my untrained eye) with little effort. I think they've got me sold.

PB260491_DxO.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

StefanKruse

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Stefan
I went for X570 chipset because I wanted to be future proof for some years, PCIe4 for M2 drive gives (What they say) >5000MB/s and PCIe >3000MB/s, I am sure I would have been satisfied with PCIe3, but since I am building new I want to use the newest tech, maybe not the absolute newest as that is expensive and deprecates fast, but at the level below somewhere.
For the PSU I wanted to have the Fractal Design Ion 760W as it is Platinum, but that will not be in stock anywhere until February, so i went with the Corsair. (I like to buy Swedish if I can.)
32GB RAM is certainly overkill today, but it should be future proof.
The Noctua NH-D15 is definitely overkill! I have a NH-U12S on my FX8350 and that is enough for that power hungry CPU, so something like the Noctua NH-D14 should be enough. but I like silent so D15 it was. The NH-D15 is high, so you must be sure your chassis can handle it.
I have been forced to buy from 3 different shops to get the best prices and for them to have it in stock, so on Tuesday or so I will get the final components, then the build will probably be next weekend.

I will report back with some comparison number for DeepPrime.
Does Deep prime require a certain minimum PC power?

PeeBee

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Does Deep prime require a certain minimum PC power?

From DXO's web site:

• Intel Core® 2 or AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 or higher (Intel® Core™ i7 4th generation or better, or AMD Ryzen™ recommended)
  • 8 GB of RAM (16 GB recommended)
  • 4 GB or more of available hard-disk space
  • Microsoft® Windows® 8.1 (64-bit), or Microsoft® Windows® 10 version 1809 or higher (64-bit, and still supported by Microsoft®), Windows® 10 version 2004 or later recommended
  • DirectX® 10-capable system
  • OpenCl 1.2-capable graphic card with 1GB of video memory to handle OpenCL acceleration
  • NVIDIA GTX™ 1060, AMD Radeon™ RX 580 or better recommended for DeepPRIME

My laptop only has a GTX 1050, DeepPRIME works, though there may be some penalties that I'm not aware of.

StefanKruse

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Stefan
Thanks,

Can you tell if these specs will be able to run it, although slowly I am aware as with LR/PS.

1606463611097.png
1606463664261.png

I have 8GB Ram

Much appreciated

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
Prime/Deep-Prime NR has always been the Elite version. Essential version is std NR (Elite has both).

I do not doubt it is worth the money.

Their advertising is muddied in places though.

I think the words "Elite Edition" with a big asterisk next to Deep Prime on screenshot 2 would be prudent.

I'm not suggesting its malicious BTW - just careless.

When selling online, it pays to think for your customers most of the time.

Screenshot 2020-11-27 at 08.05.40.png

Screenshot 2020-11-27 at 08.04.14.png
Screenshot 2020-11-27 at 08.04.34.png
Screenshot 2020-11-27 at 08.04.54.png

Macroramphosis

Jack of Spades and an unfeasibly large wheelbarrow
Real Name
Roddy
I've downloaded the trial to play with, too. I thought I'd be pleasantly surprised but as always my MacBook can't run it any faster than a donkey on Blackpool Sands could. To resolve that problem I need to get out of Covid-land. Sigh. I'm beginning to hate the sight of chickpeas and rice.....thank god the wine is cheap here.

RS86

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Riku
Thanks,

Can you tell if these specs will be able to run it, although slowly I am aware as with LR/PS.

View attachment 860012 View attachment 860014
I have 8GB Ram

Much appreciated

8 GB RAM is minimum. I think the idea is that the slower your graphics card is, the longer it takes for DeepPRIME. I have 1050 Ti and it takes longer than 1 minute when using DeepPrime. Haven't tested exact time. My graphics card has same amount of memory as yours. Maybe google "MX250 vs 1050 Ti".

"NVIDIA GTX™ 1060, AMD Radeon™ RX 580 or better recommended for DeepPRIME"

Saledolce

Mu-43 All-Pro
Upgraded right now to Elite 4, upgrade + a little Black Friday discounts made it look like a good deal.

JLGF1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jerry
Their advertising is muddied in places though.

I think it's called marketing. Like when a car manufacturer users their top-line trim in the commercial with the optional hi-po engine. But, they do spell out the differences between the two versions before you get to the final purchase step.

DxO-editions.JPG

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
I think it's called marketing. Like when a car manufacturer users their top-line trim in the commercial with the optional hi-po engine. But, they do spell out the differences between the two versions before you get to the final purchase step.

View attachment 860089

Marketing, yes.

I think it is safe to say that it is generally accepted that a Ford Ranger will indeed have four or five trim levels (maybe more?), but they don't lead with the 'Raptor' and even the cheapest one comes with a steering wheel.

coffeecat

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rob
Thanks,

View attachment 860012 View attachment 860014
I have 8GB Ram

Much appreciated
I have a 2015 Microsoft Surface 3 (NON Pro), sporting an Intel Atom 1.6GHz, 4GB RAM, passive cooling, Intel integrated graphics, and slow solid state memory. I have installed PL4 Elite on it, and tested a 16MB fairly "busy" picture, ISO400, shot at night, EM10ii ORF.

It quite happily processed it, using Deep PRIME NR, but it took 19 minutes and used up 10% of the battery.

So it works. But very slowly.
I suspect your PC will be better. I also have a very new Core i3 mini-desktop with 8GB of RAM, which did it in maybe 1.5 to 2 minutes, which is tolerable for me.

Rob

coffeecat

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rob
My "main" PC is an older Core i5, with 16GB, not yet tested that one. The Elite license allows 3 installs, which is good for me.

None of my PCs have separate discrete graphics cards, so for me LR4 is a bit slower (with Deep PRIME), but it's tolerable as I don't always use it.

Rob

BosseBe

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Bo
If the Graphics card does not work with DeepPrime it will use the CPU, it will take longer but it will work!
That is why I am building a new PC, my current on is only using the CPU.
There is a benchmark on the DxO foum for DeepPRIME, user that have run a sample suite of images and recorded the time.

JLGF1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jerry
even the cheapest one comes with a steering wheel.

A poor analogy; std version has basic NR. A better analogy would be when Kia advertised the 2.5L Turbo GT in the launch commercials for the new K5 even though that trim-line wasn't even available, yet, while the rest of the line has the 1.6L engine.

I'll let you have the last word on this, but if the new, advanced AI noise-reduction came in the std version what features would you expect to come in the premium version?

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom