DxO Photolab 4 is out now

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
A poor analogy; std version has basic NR. A better analogy would be when Kia advertised the 2.5L Turbo GT in the launch commercials for the new K5 even though that trim-line wasn't even available, yet, while the rest of the line has the 1.6L engine.

I'll let you have the last word on this, but if the new, advanced AI noise-reduction came in the std version what features would you expect to come in the premium version?
How can I have the last word if you just had the last word?

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
From DXO's web site:
  • OpenCl 1.2-capable graphic card with 1GB of video memory to handle OpenCL acceleration
  • NVIDIA GTX™ 1060, AMD Radeon™ RX 580 or better recommended for DeepPRIME
My laptop only has a GTX 1050, DeepPRIME works, though there may be some penalties that I'm not aware of.
To me it seems that even ~10 year old graphic cards can manage the OpenCL acceleration. 1 GB+ is needed for minimum requirements for it.

1060 and up is recommended (not minimum) for DeepPRIME to get the load times Dxo thinks are meant for proper use.

Like I have said, I have Geforce 1050 Ti, 4 GB, and it just means mine works a bit slower.

Someone asked about Geforce 250, and it seems it has 2 GB. Of course GB's are not all that matters for a graphics card. Just like MP's are not for cameras.

This is just where I found what graphic cards have what OpenCL support:

"NVidia GPUs

NVidia supports OpenCL well on devices with Compute Capability 1.3 and up, which are the following:
  • GeForce GTX 260 and up.
  • GeForce GTX 400 series.
  • GeForce GTX 500 series.
  • Tesla C/S 1060 and up.
  • Quadro FX 4800 and 5800
Older GPUs (with compute capability 1.0 to 1.2) won’t get really good speed-ups. It might be of interest when you have SLI. The GPUs not listed above from the following series have minimal support for OpenCL, but the list could have some mistakes due to generalisations:
  • GeForce 100 series.
  • GeForce 200 series.
  • GeForce 8000 series.
  • GeForce 9000 series.
  • Tesla C/D/S 870.
  • Quadro FX. Check this table if it mentions CUDA-cores."
https://streamhpc.com/blog/2011-12-29/opencl-hardware-support/

Aviator

Mu-43 Regular
I couldn't resist the DXO Black Friday & Cyber Monday offers...

Today I did a few quick tests and OH MY GOD, that Deep Prime Noise Reduction is astonishing. It did wonders on my EM-5 Mk II ISO 1600/3200 .orf files... Those files now look like ISO 200! It is truly amazing.

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I couldn't resist the DXO Black Friday & Cyber Monday offers...

Today I did a few quick tests and OH MY GOD, that Deep Prime Noise Reduction is astonishing. It did wonders on my EM-5 Mk II ISO 1600/3200 .orf files... Those files now look like ISO 200! It is truly amazing.
Yeah. I suggest people try it to ISO 200 photos too. I tried and found that DeepPrime ~10-25 gives nice results.

cnyap

Mu-43 Regular
I figure I need to buy a new desktop or laptop first, then will watch for sales.

JLGF1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jerry
I figure I need to buy a new desktop or laptop first, then will watch for sales.
Keep in mind that a robust GPU will be your best friend. A lot easier to pull that off cost effectively in a desktop.

I missed the Cyber Monday price by a few hours. I have written to them twice with no answer. Do they typically have more sales -- or just once a year?
I doubt they'd give you an individual discount due to the slightly missed sale. But as littelfish said, they are doing discounts every once in a while, however rarely as good as the black friday deals, usually the other sales are ~30% discount, sometimes just for specific software pieces like Nik Collection, not their whole catalog. You should check again right on Christmas, last year they had a sale going from I think Dec 24th to 26th, with 30% off.

PacNWMike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Last time I went for the 30% off sale and then less than 2 weeks later it was $10 cheaper on cyber monday. I emailed them and asked them to match the lower price since my credit card was still warm from the last sale. Instead they gave me a coupon to use on full price items for which I had no use. Kinda left a sour taste in my mouth. This time I knew to wait. So to answer the OP, 30% sale is the best you'll probably see until next year. At that price it's still an excellent deal.

cnyap

Mu-43 Regular
Keep in mind that a robust GPU will be your best friend. A lot easier to pull that off cost effectively in a desktop.
Maybe a lower priced laptop (or just continue using my iPad) and a powerful desktop is the way to go.

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
Don't worry. DxO have sales throughout the year. Subscribe to their newsletter and you'll catch the next one.
A consequence of repeatedly having sales during the year, is that your customers have absolutely no idea what your product is really worth, and will delay purchases so often that some will conclude that they didn't really need it in the first place.

I understand clearance events of unsold stock, but software?

You can't tell me it's marketing. Buy 'x' and get the benefit of 'y' is marketing.

Repeatedly dropping the price on all of your products on a set day (which has evolved to 10 days) of the year is a peculiar way to trade.

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
A consequence of repeatedly having sales during the year, is that your customers have absolutely no idea what your product is really worth, and will delay purchases so often that some will conclude that they didn't really need it in the first place.

I understand clearance events of unsold stock, but software?

You can't tell me it's marketing. Buy 'x' and get the benefit of 'y' is marketing.

Repeatedly dropping the price on all of your products on a set day (which has evolved to 10 days) of the year is a peculiar way to trade.
Well yeah. They just need to price the normal level so that the sale price will be enough for them.

I have upgraded Dxo Photolab every year since I got it. They seem to make it worthwhile.

I've tried a couple of image processing applications throughout the years and for some, be it ACDSee, Luminar, On1, Capture One and so on, I still am subscribed for their newsletters. Pretty much all of them are sending E-Mails regarding sales and discounts on a regular basis. Capture One for example I first tried late summer and so far they at least had two discounts going on with 20 or 25% off the regular price. Same with ACDsee, they are offering discounts about once per quarter, sometimes even more.

While it seems odd, I'm pretty sure it's more or less calculated for their business model.

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
Since I am really busy/lazy and I rarely take full advantage of trial periods, does anyone know if I can import a bunch of M4/3 files in for the purposes of DeepPRIME NR and minimal tweaks, and then maybe save as a TIFF with the edits including NR intact for further playing with later? It would be nice to get a big batch started which I could finish later in PL3 or LR6.

Maybe not straight up batch editing, just seeing if the files can be saved uncompressed with the DeepPRIME effectsapplied.

Since I am really busy/lazy and I rarely take full advantage of trial periods, does anyone know if I can import a bunch of M4/3 files in for the purposes of DeepPRIME NR and minimal tweaks, and then maybe save as a TIFF with the edits including NR intact for further playing with later? It would be nice to get a big batch started which I could finish later in PL3 or LR6.

Maybe not straight up batch editing, just seeing if the files can be saved uncompressed with the DeepPRIME effectsapplied.
If you mean can you do all that in the trial version, then yes; it's fully functional. I saved out maybe a dozen files as DNG files after 'Deep Priming' them with the trial before buying a licence. Save to TIFF option is also available.

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
If you mean can you do all that in the trial version, then yes; it's fully functional. I saved out maybe a dozen files as DNG files after 'Deep Priming' them with the trial before buying a licence. Save to TIFF option is also available.
Thanks, that is probably what I will do, that's exciting! I can think of some older M4/3 and some Ricoh GR II high-iso files that could really use this!

Real Name
Sue
Having already bought this (as it was on offer :biggrin: - what is Deep Prime and what should I be using this software for outside of / in addition to LightRoom

Having already bought this (as it was on offer :biggrin: - what is Deep Prime and what should I be using this software for outside of / in addition to LightRoom
Noise = the graininess introduced into images shot in low / at high ISOs. To date, photographers have had to live with / artistically use grain in photos. DxO PL4 is something of a game changer in that their new DeepPRIME NR (Noise Reduction) feature removes a significant amount of noise without losing detail; if anything it brings out detail.

I use LR to import and organise photos but I sometimes go to DxO PL4 to remove noise and / or tweak images.
From LR go to File > Plug-in Extras > Transfer to DxO PhotoLab 4.
In DxO PL4 go to Customize (top left) then click on the Detail tab (right hand side) > Dxo Denoising Techniques > DeepPRIME. Results are not seen over the whole image until it's exported.

I posted a few examples on page 3 of this thread here.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom