DxO Photolab 4 is out now

Fuzzdog

Mu-43 Regular
Is it just me, or is rev 4 much faster than rev 3?

I've owned rev 3 for some time, but never got comfortable with it. It is considerable different than LR, ON1, or Exposure, which I am much more comfortable with. Even so, I went ahead and bought the upgrade anyway. The improvements, deep prime and the history window especially, seem worth giving it a serious go this time.

Now....to figure out a workflow....
I think it's definitely a bit quicker. I've tried getting into DxO before but I've never really settled with it, but this new version is now the default for my usage. Guess I'll be splashing out some money once the trial ends!

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
DxO PL4 has caused me problems! PL3 did not max out my AMD FX8350 8 core 4GHz CPU while converting to JPG, but PL4 does at least with PRIME NR!
So now I have to build a new PC! 😎
So it seems like DxO PL4 also handles multi cores/threads better.

Maybe I should start a new thread for recommendations of a PC build for DxO PL4?

DxO PL4 has caused me problems! PL3 did not max out my AMD FX8350 8 core 4GHz CPU while converting to JPG, but PL4 does at least with PRIME NR!

Maybe I should start a new thread for recommendations of a PC build for DxO PL4?
You are in luck, with AMDs new Ryzen generation pretty much on the horizon, starting early November, you should be able to justify some upgrades. Either buy getting a current generation CPU cheaper or by simply buying the latest and greatest.

bahamot

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Irwan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Time to move onto Ryzen CPUs.. personally I am using Ryzen 3600XT, it feels much snappier on PL4 than on PL3. (the CPU can reach 100% too although briefly, which is good)

The Deep Prime NR is really tempting me to upgrade from PL3. I guess trialing PL4 is not a wise move for saving my wallet. 😅

Last edited:

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Robin Whalley is a great editing teacher, I recommend subscribing to him. Not too shabby as a photographer either. He made couple videos already about the new Photolab.

He told that he used M43 a lot earlier, then switched to Fuji, and just recently bought a G9 in addition I think. In the comment section he said that he has a few ideas to share about M43/Dxo photo editing. He thinks Dxo is the best software for editing M43 photos.

It seems this update is a must buy. The new things are not that "big" apart from DeepPrime, but they look very effective like the new user interface.

I thought I'd run the trial version until Black Friday, but now I'm thinking should I buy it now. The upgrade looks like something I really want, and not sure I want to risk if they don't put the -50 % sale this year.

Buying with -30 % would support the company more too. Are any of you waiting for Black Friday? I think the last 2 years they have offered better sale on BF.

Btw. I'm not great at math, but the normal price is 89 € and the reduced "-30 %" price is 70 €. That's 19 € reduction. Is this really -30 %?

Last edited:

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
Robin Whalley is a great editing teacher, I recommend subscribing to him. Not too shabby as a photographer either. He made couple videos already about the new Photolab.

He told that he used M43 a lot earlier, then switched to Fuji, and just recently bought a G9 in addition I think. In the comment section he said that he has a few ideas to share about M43/Dxo photo editing. He thinks Dxo is the best software for editing M43 photos.

It seems this update is a must buy. The new things are not that "big" apart from DeepPrime, but they look very effective like the new user interface.

I thought I'd run the trial version until Black Friday, but now I'm thinking should I buy it now. The upgrade looks like something I really want, and not sure I want to risk if they don't put the -50 % sale this year.

Buying with -30 % would support the company more too. Are any of you waiting for Black Friday? I think the last 2 years they have offered better sale on BF.

Btw. I'm not great at math, but the normal price is 89 € and the reduced "-30 %" price is 70 €. That's 19 € reduction. Is this really -30 %?

Here is what I paid for the upgrade:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

No, I can't get this to come out as 30% but close to it at 28%.
AFAIK, the 30% is for upgrading.
I bought it right off as I want to support the company that has had economical problems not so long ago, I don't want them to disappear!
Less money now might be better for them than more money later, I don't know!

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Red35 says he is really excited about the new features, and starts to use Dxo Photolab 4 even professionally. ~13 min video.

In the comments he says his ISO 3200 files look like ISO 400. Which seems quite big difference.

My one reservation about coming back to M43 was noise at high ISO. This latest version of DxO has completely removed that objection.
DxO4_001.jpg

Doesn't look like there's much difference....

DxO4_002.jpg

...until I zoom in...

DxO4_003.jpg

...really close.

I clicked the Deep Prime NR function and left everything else in DxO at the defaults before exporting back to LR. These screenshots lose some of the detail but I hope show the improvement. The blue tinge on the face is accurate. There was a large illuminated globe to the left of the statue.

Last edited:
Couple more zoomed in examples shot in the same place (Gloucester Cathedral).

All processed with the trial. I bought DxO a long time ago to process images from a Canon S90 compact but haven't upgraded in a few years. I feel a purchase coming on.... :laugh:

Saledolce

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I'm thinking about upgrading from DXO PL3 to DXO PL4. I think I will start with the trial (moving post processing work from mac to a new windows pc) and then purchase. I remember good black friday offers on DXO in the past years, does anyone know if they will replicate that?

StefanKruse

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Stefan
Here is what I paid for the upgrade:

View attachment 855433

No, I can't get this to come out as 30% but close to it at 28%.
AFAIK, the 30% is for upgrading.
I bought it right off as I want to support the company that has had economical problems not so long ago, I don't want them to disappear!
Less money now might be better for them than more money later, I don't know!
I think the discount is not quite 28%. Without discount you would have paid 89 incl. VAT (71,2 + 25%) so you save 19 which is approx 21% (19/89).
If you look at it without the VAT it is similar 21% (15,21/71,2)
But it is still a nice price judging by what the product can do

I'm thinking about upgrading from DXO PL3 to DXO PL4. I think I will start with the trial (moving post processing work from mac to a new windows pc) and then purchase. I remember good black friday offers on DXO in the past years, does anyone know if they will replicate that?
Sadly I don’t think anyone can answer that with any certainty. In past years DxO have indeed had excellent Black Friday offers. I’m in the same position as you but with a few days left on my trial, I’ll wait until the 26th before deciding whether or not to purchase.

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I think the discount is not quite 28%. Without discount you would have paid 89 incl. VAT (71,2 + 25%) so you save 19 which is approx 21% (19/89).
If you look at it without the VAT it is similar 21% (15,21/71,2)
But it is still a nice price judging by what the product can do
This is more like it looked like to me.

It's a huge difference to the -50 % Black Friday sales from at least past two years.

Of course one risks that there won't be such a sale then. But hard to see that there wouldn't be any sale at all.

I guess only time will tell, how this years offerings will look like. In any case, you can already install and activate your trial for PL4, it can easily be installed and run alongside PL3. When Black Friday starts, you can always buy a full license and upgrade you trial on the fly.

rlb

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Rob
Does PL have a decent library management function? I currently use digikam which meets my needs (+ raw therapee for the little editing I do)
but wouldn't mind paying to consolidate

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Is DXO 4 really good. Will it work at low ISO. I appreciated the extra detail and lower noise in the photos posted above. What are the min specs on Windows 10 computers that work for people. Is it likely to be fast with an i7, 16gb ram and a 4gb graphics card in a 12 month old Dell xps15”?

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Is DXO 4 really good. Will it work at low ISO. I appreciated the extra detail and lower noise in the photos posted above. What are the min specs on Windows 10 computers that work for people. Is it likely to be fast with an i7, 16gb ram and a 4gb graphics card in a 12 month old Dell xps15”?
I use Prime even with ISO 200, but at low settings. Haven't seen problems with it and I just got two Honorable Mentions in IPA 2020 with that. Also I never sharpen, only use lens profiles. Just do some local microcontrast.

I have a very old computer. Intel i5 760 overclocked to 3,5 gHz, 16 GB RAM. But the graphics card is newer, 1050 4GB Ti.

I think PL 4 works well enough, but I'd like a bit more speed of course. Not a problem for me as I'm not a pro.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
I use Prime even with ISO 200, but at low settings. Haven't seen problems with it and I just got two Honorable Mentions in IPA 2020 with that. Also I never sharpen, only use lens profiles. Just do some local microcontrast.

I have a very old computer. Intel i5 760 overclocked to 3,5 gHz, 16 GB RAM. But the graphics card is newer, 1050 4GB Ti.

I think PL 4 works well enough, but I'd like a bit more speed of course. Not a problem for me as I'm not a pro.
Thanks for that. I did look at their specs, they seem to suit my equipment, plus I can always double the ram to 32gb. Dissapointed to see two versions. Essential and Elite. I shall ask around a couple of my photo-groups on zoom, one guy has everything, if not 2 copies.

RS86

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Thanks for that. I did look at their specs, they seem to suit my equipment, plus I can always double the ram to 32gb. Dissapointed to see two versions. Essential and Elite. I shall ask around a couple of my photo-groups on zoom, one guy has everything, if not 2 copies.
I think Elite is the one you want. Essential won't give Prime, and maybe some other things, not sure.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom