DxO Photolab 4 is out now

stevedo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
That's a review of different software though. But thanks for making me aware of their new product (PureRAW). It can be an interesting option for those who already have an existing Lightroom/Photoshop workflow, but want to take advantage of DxO's denoising and lens corrections.
I was responding directly to the post previous to mine which referenced the PureRAW release.

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
I like that DxO is making a stand-alone product of DeepPRIME (PureRAW), that means they can generate more revenue and be more profitable!
Anything that makes them able to continue as a business is fine by me!
I want to see the Photolab continue to be better and better as LR competitor.
As it also uses the lens corrections from DxO you get what they are best at!

StefanKruse

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Stefan
Can someone clarify :)

With PureRaw I get specific features like DeepPrime, lens correction, enlarged raw files and some other things which I can integrate with Lightroom. With Photolab4 I get a "full" editing software?

Thanks

Can someone clarify :)

With PureRaw I get specific features like DeepPrime, lens correction, enlarged raw files and some other things which I can integrate with Lightroom. With Photolab4 I get a "full" editing software?

Thanks
Yes, Photolab4 is a fully featured image processing software, it comes in two versions: Essential and Elite, the former has a couple of fewer features and is also missing the Prime and DeepPrime noise reduction. You can essentially use it as a standalone version to do all your editing, for example it is pretty much the only processing software I use.

PureRAW just applies noise reduction (including DeepPrime) and lens correction, essentially creating a clean starting point to use with the processing software of your own choice, which will then work on the DNG file.

Essentially if you want an all-in-one software, take a look at Photolab. If you already have a favourite processing software like Capture One or Lightroom, but want these two DXO features, buy PureRAW.

If I buy Elite do I need PureRaw too?
No you don't. PL4 Elite is a fully featured processing software which has the PureRAW features built-in. PureRAW doesn't add anything above PL4 Elite, in fact it is taking away most of the software and only keeps noise reduction and optical corrections.

Essentially PureRAW is a step for DXO which widens their audience: There were a number of people who'd like the advanced noise reduction and lens correction features offered by DXO PL4 Elite, but don't want to use that as a processing software - hence also don't want to pay for a complete software package they don't need. Now DXO has taken these core features in a basic standalone software for a much cheaper price, making it more attractive for die-hard Lightroom and Capture One users.

Real Name
Charles
No you don't. PL4 Elite is a fully featured processing software which has the PureRAW features built-in. PureRAW doesn't add anything above PL4 Elite, in fact it is taking away most of the software and only keeps noise reduction and optical corrections.

Essentially PureRAW is a step for DXO which widens their audience: There were a number of people who'd like the advanced noise reduction and lens correction features offered by DXO PL4 Elite, but don't want to use that as a processing software - hence also don't want to pay for a complete software package they don't need. Now DXO has taken these core features in a basic standalone software for a much cheaper price, making it more attractive for die-hard Lightroom and Capture One users.
Thanks. This is what I needed to know. I have been debating which raw developer I want to buy and I refuse to do the subscription gig of PS and LR. Have never felt comfortable with Capture One. And Olympus software seems limited.

Thanks. This is what I needed to know. I have been debating which raw developer I want to buy and I refuse to do the subscription gig of PS and LR. Have never felt comfortable with Capture One. And Olympus software seems limited.
Keep in mind you can download a fully featured 30-day Photolab4 trial from DXO (actually they offer this for pretty much all their software) and check it out yourself. I also very much dislike subscription models which was a primary reason why I never really considered Lightroom for myself. I rather pay a full price upfront and upgrade when I want.

DXO traditionally releases a new version of Photolab by late October each year, on Black Friday they usually offer very good discounts. So when a new Photolab version drops, you can download the 30-day trial, check it out and by Black Friday you know whether it's worth upgrading or not.

Toddster

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Todd Cleaver
It took me a while to work out that DeepPrime is dependent on compatibility with my graphics cards. I am having to use the CPU for DeepPrime. It works OK with the GPU for Prime.
Just to clarify things a bit (this subject causes some confusion even over on the DxO forums). The speed of DeepPrime is affected (dependent) on your GPU. However, the functionality of DeepPrime is the same whether the processing is handled by the CPU or GPU.

apete

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Piotr
When DXO 4 debuted a couple months ago, I had a tough choice: move to DXO or stay with Capture One and upgrade to 21? I have already been using C1 for a couple years, and while I was impressed with DeepPRIME I still prefered some functionalities of C1, e.g. exposure control, far more. Overall my final decision was to stay with C1.

Now that PureRAW was released, I bought it the first day it was available. I already played a bit with updated flow: first ORF to PureRAW, then DNG to C1. So far so good. I feel like all my lenses were ugraded once again :dance3:

Keep in mind that with PureRaw you are stuck with default settings.
It may work for you, it's not working for me (oversharpened and a little oversmoothed by default).
Also, DxO Photo Lab fits better in my workflow:
- import into LrC
- transfer raw files from LrC to DxO only when needed
- DxO returns files to LrC as linear DNGs

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
After a few days with PL4 Elite, I purchased it. Now to figure out the best raw flow defaults, if possible.
Congrats, I hope you will be happy using DxO.

My personal normal preset looks like this:
Start with DxO Standard Preset (Optical corrections etc)
Smart Lighting Uniform Slight (This actually comes with the Standard Preset)
ClearView Plus intensity 25
Contrast all to 16 (Contrast, MicroContrast and Fine Contrast) (I am a bit lazy and usually just set MicroContrast to Auto and let the others have the same value).

I actually have this as a Preset but generally I just make the adjustments manually so I can see what happens at each stage.
And of course I try other things after this until I am happy with it.

StefanKruse

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Stefan
Keep in mind that with PureRaw you are stuck with default settings.
It may work for you, it's not working for me (oversharpened and a little oversmoothed by default).
What do you mean? Can you elaborate? Thanks

What do you mean? Can you elaborate? Thanks

DxO pureRAW applies the DxO algorithms with the default settings only.
You cannot modify the level of correction to your personnal taste.

The default DxO settings are too strong for me.
As a PhotoLab user, it's not a problem, as I can choose whatever level of correction I prefer (I set DeepPrime to 30 instead of 40, optical sharpness to -1 instead of 0, and vignetting to 50% as 100% tends to overcorrect a little bit).
Your prefered settings would be probably different from mine.
With DxO PureRAW, everyone gets the same :)

That's not necessarily a problem, but the limits have to be clear.
There seems to be no possible further upgrade to PhotoLab.

DeepPRIME is being released separately in an app called PureRAW, which applies corrections and DeepPRIME NR to RAW files and exports them as DNGs for other image editors. Also, it's half the price of PL4 Elite. This is really good news for me. I prefer using the desktop Lightroom 6, but when I tested PL4 Elite I did find I oculd get cleaner, crisper files using DeepPRIME. I just don't love the overall workflow within PL, and $200 is a lot to drop for the full editor. This might be right up my alley...

Never buy a DxO software at the full price. They have at least 30% discounts every other week.
And the best discounts are at the Black Friday, around 50%, so 100€ instead of 200€ for PhotoLab Elite.
New version in October, best discount for Black Friday...

It may be possible that the upgrade rate for PureRAW is slower than for PhotoLab. to be verified...
(nobody is forced to upgrade each year for PhotoLab, though)

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
Never buy a DxO software at the full price. They have at least 30% discounts every other week.
And the best discounts are at the Black Friday, around 50%, so 100€ instead of 200€ for PhotoLab Elite.
New version in October, best discount for Black Friday...

It may be possible that the upgrade rate for PureRAW is slower than for PhotoLab. to be verified...
(nobody is forced to upgrade each year for PhotoLab, though)
I actually bought DxO Optics Pro at full price some years ago, I didn't know better, but I am still satisfied with the price.
I have upgraded every year but I think I still have not paid more than what a LR/PS monthly payment for that time would have been. (At least not significantly more.)

I just bought a new laptop PC and discovered that I had maxed out my activations for Filmpack, Viewpoint and NikCollection, I contacted the support (on a weekend evening) and about 30 minutes later they had fixed it so I could activate all of them. Talk about great support!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom