DxO Photolab 4 is out now

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
So one new thing I learned from the blog above is that DeepPRIME isn't just a noise reduction tool but also a de-mosaic tool and it is applied in the first stage of conversion of a image.
Makes me think that DeepPRIME can probably help on even non-noisy images! (Better de-mosaicking.)

So one new thing I learned from the blog above is that DeepPRIME isn't just a noise reduction tool but also a de-mosaic tool and it is applied in the first stage of conversion of a image.
Makes me think that DeepPRIME can probably help on even non-noisy images! (Better de-mosaicking.)
Yes, their strength is that it's all-in-one. Clever idea, and it's awesome that both software and hardware have evolved so much that it is possible to get such good quality in a reasonable amount of time.

I watched a few webinars by PhotoJospeph (on the DxO YouTube channel), and he said that "it does not make sense to enable DeepPRIME on low-ISO images". I get his point (why use a slower process if there is little noise anyway), but given the fact that MFT images usually have noise even at ISO 200, and the entire conversion takes just 15 seconds on my machine anyway, I decided to enable DeepPRIME in my default profile. I simply do not worry about noise anymore now. I do not have to think about when to enable it; it's always on and always gives a good result. And it might indeed even give you better demosaicking, although I doubt whether you will see much difference from that in practice.

Last edited:

RevBob

Super Moderator
Real Name
Bob
I was waiting for them to run a discount and then I downloaded the trial. The results exceeded my expectations. I went ahead and bought the software last week. Next time they run a promotion I plan to add the NIK plug-ins.

Real Name
Phill
I have to agree with Frank. At first I disabled any noise reduction for my low ISO (200) shots, then I started enabling it and there is further improvement in image quality, nowhere near as visible as it is in high ISO shots, but an improvement nonetheless. So unless somebody is exporting dozens of files and times is critical, I also recommend giving DeepPRIME a try even on low ISO shots.

By the way DXO is having a a spring sale with up to 30% discount for some of their software. As I'm writing this post, the sale is valid for the next ~34 hours.

In the context of using DxO with LrC, you must choose DNG export with all corrections in order to get the correct cropping in LrC. If you select "lens correction and noise reduction only" then the ratio gets messed up and only the horizontal dimension has more pixels. It is likely a bug.
Can someone explain what it means to export with all corrections in order to get correct cropping? My plan was to do lens corrections and noise reduction only then send it to LRClassic to finish.

Can someone explain what it means to export with all corrections in order to get correct cropping? My plan was to do lens corrections and noise reduction only then send it to LRClassic to finish.
When clicking on the Export to Lightroom button, you have two options:
a) Export as DNG (All Corrections Applied)
b) Export as DNG (Denoise and Optical Corrections Applied)

Using option b) results in an image that is a bit wider than the 4:3 ratio.
I assume you can reset all corrections before choosing option a) or crop in LrC to 4:3 if choosing option b).

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
I don't use LR but if I wanted to export with only optical corrections and noise reduction, I would create a preset that applies that only and then export with all corrections.
Why a Preset? Because ease of use, one button to press to apply the preset and one button to export. And the Preset also sees to that I don't forget either optical corrections or noise reduction.

I don't use LR but if I wanted to export with only optical corrections and noise reduction, I would create a preset that applies that only and then export with all corrections.
Why a Preset? Because ease of use, one button to press to apply the preset and one button to export. And the Preset also sees to that I don't forget either optical corrections or noise reduction.
That's exactly what I do, it works (very) well.
I have 2 main presets:
1) Deep Prime level 30 + optical corrections (with lens sharpness to -1 and 50% vigneting only)
2) Same with Lighting on Low level in addition (can help to have clean images when interesting parts are underexposed).

It's very fast to use, the exports are very long though (4-5 min per image, my computer is old).

Maybe.
From my point of view, using Ligthroom (and DxO generates DNG that I use in Lightroom), I see very little added value of having an additional (big) file when there isn't much noise.
I'm satisfied with Ligthroom demosaicing, and I sometimes find what come out of DxO "too clean" (in some rare cases I even added a little bit of grain...)

However, noise doesn't mean high ISO.
On some underexposed images, it can have some good effects (not always, I don't know why)
Some long exposures by night also...

I sometimes try it and some old images that I like... on some, the improvement is really impressive.
What I didn't try, yet, is to make comparisons on some prints... I want to verify that I'm still able to see the same level of benefit.

Real Name
Charles
Why do you set sharpness to -1? Are you processing RAW or JPG files?
That's exactly what I do, it works (very) well.
I have 2 main presets:
1) Deep Prime level 30 + optical corrections (with lens sharpness to -1 and 50% vigneting only)
2) Same with Lighting on Low level in addition (can help to have clean images when interesting parts are underexposed).

It's very fast to use, the exports are very long though (4-5 min per image, my computer is old).

WhidbeyLVR

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Lyle
I also turn down lens sharpening to approx -1.00 (more or less, depending on lens) because the standard setting appears noticeably over-sharpened to me. For lenses not in the DxO database, I find the standard setting of unsharp-mask to be pretty good.

I may go back in local corrections and add sharpening to limited areas.

Lens sharpness (part of the optical corrections) on RAW files.
I find the resulting files oversharpened with "0", as there are only "intermediate" files for me.

With Prime I even used "-2.0" (with DeepPrime set to 5 - instead of the default value of 40) but with DeepPrime "-1.0" seems ok to me.

In theory, the correction from DxO should adapt to the sharpness of the lens.
Sharp lenses as the 12-40 or 12-45 should be less sharpened by dxo than the 12-32.
(it's also to be more localized in the borders/corners to get something more uniform).

In my opinion, -1 does a pretty good job, in combination to DeepPrime, even with portraits.
(I had doubts at the beginning, my I'm pretty happy with what I get now)

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
DeepPRIME is being released separately in an app called PureRAW, which applies corrections and DeepPRIME NR to RAW files and exports them as DNGs for other image editors. Also, it's half the price of PL4 Elite. This is really good news for me. I prefer using the desktop Lightroom 6, but when I tested PL4 Elite I did find I oculd get cleaner, crisper files using DeepPRIME. I just don't love the overall workflow within PL, and $200 is a lot to drop for the full editor. This might be right up my alley...

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
It took me a while to work out that DeepPrime is dependent on compatibility with my graphics cards. I am having to use the CPU for DeepPrime. It works OK with the GPU for Prime.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom