DxO Photolab 4 is out now

bahamot

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Irwan
The URL to the product page is broken now but here is the screenshot from their product announcement. Introductory upgrade price is 69.99.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

bahamot

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Irwan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I forget. Was the Black Friday upgrade price better than the early upgrade price last time?
Yeah I think so. I remember felt annoyed when I knew black Friday dealt last time.

Jandon

New to Mu-43
I tested quickly DxO's new DeepPRIME noise reduction. Results below. Shot with Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II.

ISO 6400
DxO Photolab 3
Noise reduction: OFF

ISO 6400
DxO Photolab 3
Noise reduction: PRIME

ISO 6400
DxO Photolab 4
Noise reduction: DeepPRIME

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
Jandon, thanks for the demo. Version 4 does look sharper than 3 too, imho.

Guess I'll spring for the version 4 update.

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
Got a mail about the new PL4 and went and bought it right away!
Tested the DeepPRIME noise reduction on the .ORF file from PPC 601, a picture without much noise, first the DeepPRIME function takes forever with that picture, probably because it can't find any noise to reduce and when I tried to export as a JPG I got an output error! Might have been because the DeepPRIME hadn't finished, I don't know?
Hopefully this was reported to DxO so they can look into it.

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
Great, my PL3 is already out of date...

The NR does look a lot better, as in, it's finally up to par. I remember thinking Prime NR was decent, but I don't have the elite edition of PL3 so I don't have Prime, and their regular NR is terrible. Honestly the Prime example in the OP is pretty bad still, in my eyes. The new version looks good.

I'd always rather see grain than mottling and blurring, but even with Prime above, you see mottling on virtually all the edges. Yuck. Seems like the upgrade will finally be worth it.

doxa750

Mu-43 Regular
Got a mail about the new PL4 and went and bought it right away!
Tested the DeepPRIME noise reduction on the .ORF file from PPC 601, a picture without much noise, first the DeepPRIME function takes forever with that picture, probably because it can't find any noise to reduce and when I tried to export as a JPG I got an output error! Might have been because the DeepPRIME hadn't finished, I don't know?
Hopefully this was reported to DxO so they can look into it.
May I ask if this new DXO PL4 support EM1 III and all lenses. Currently happy with DXO PL Elite 3 and would upgrade right away the newer version didn't break anything - recognizing all Olympus camera and lenses.

Thanks

doxa750

Mu-43 Regular
This looks like it makes DXO noise reduction on par with Topaz Denoise AI. Thanks for your post and I will upgrade as it helps reducing one more step for me.

I got an answer from DXO that all cameras and lenses supported by Elite version 3 will be supported as the same in this new version.

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
May I ask if this new DXO PL4 support EM1 III and all lenses. Currently happy with DXO PL Elite 3 and would upgrade right away the newer version didn't break anything - recognizing all Olympus camera and lenses.

Thanks
Best to check on the DxO homepage!
The picture I tried was taken with a EM5 III.

I've already been waiting for PL4, with DXO usually releasing their major versions late October every year, it was just a matter of time. While the new noise reduction seems to be even more impressive than the previous Prime NR, it is not enough for me to justify an upgrade. I'm already very pleased with the Prime NR PL3 has to offer, in addition I'm planing to add their FilmPack 5 software to my collection and would rather spend the money there instead of the newest Photolabs.

However I'll check out their Black Friday deals for sure, last year they indeed had a flat 50% discount on all their products, regardless of new licences or upgrades. I updated my PL licence last year on Black Friday.

PeeBee

Mu-43 All-Pro
I think the PL4 NR in the above shots looks pretty impressive. I find the NR in Lightroom to be quite harsh on detail (that might be due to my heavy handed application). I got a bundled edition of PL2 with my last upgrade of the NIK Collection but haven't found time to approach the learning curve required since I'm a long-time user of LR and PS. Maybe PL4 would be worth the effort?

Fuzzdog

Mu-43 Regular
I always give new versions of DxO a try, wasn't too impressed with the fact the Prime and Deep Prime NR still can't be previewed in anything more than a tiny magnified area. If I'm applying something potentially image-wrecking like NR (particularly if there are hardly any settings you can tweak yourself) I want to preview it on the whole image to avoid wasting a huge amount of time. I shoot a lot of things with fur, and NR software is notoriously awful at that sort of thing when left to it's own devices.

It's very good NR, I'll give it that, but the lack of full image previews counts me out immediately. I can understand why they do it that way to speed things up, but I'd rather at least have the option to sit and wait for a while for the results to display rather than have to export it and then see if the resulting image is okay.

Real Name
David
Downloaded the update and first impressions are good. DXO has always given good results for me so I'll stick with it until something monumental happens to change that. The new denoising is better by a large enough degree to help my low-light files so all in all a happy snappa.

StefanKruse

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Stefan
Downloaded the update and first impressions are good. DXO has always given good results for me so I'll stick with it until something monumental happens to change that. The new denoising is better by a large enough degree to help my low-light files so all in all a happy snappa.
How well does it work with low-light gig photography? Could you perhaps share an example from a lowlight indoor event? I am considering a noise reduction tool but I am worried whether the loss of details in hair or facial expression will be too much.
Would be much appreciated.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom