1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

DxO PhotoLab 2 is available / comparison with version 1.2

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Egregius V, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Egregius V

Egregius V Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Jun 14, 2015
    Massachusetts, USA
    Rev. Gregory Vozzo
    DxO just released PhotoLab 2 with a one-month full trial. Version 1.2 is my primary tool for RAW development, so I started the trial and started comparing.

What's new in PhotoLab 2: not much, it seems. There are only four improvements that are highlighted by DxO's promotional material. First is ClearView Plus, said to be an improved haze removal tool. It's more selective in applying microcontrast enhancements, but is also much more aggressive where it does apply them. It's supposed to be a lot better at applying its adjustments without halos. There are no new sliders here, so if you prefer the smoother look of the older ClearView you might want to apply haze removal or microcontrast changes locally.

Here is an example scene I processed, first with only Smart Lighting set to Slight (which lifts the shadows a bit):
    example-SL-only.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Now with PhotoLab 1.2 ClearView set to 50:
    example-CV-50.jpg

Note the darkening and smoothing of various features.

Now the same scene with PhotoLab 2 ClearView Plus set to 50:
    example-CVPlus-50.jpg

The flower petals and fog are not smoothed out. Micro contrast is rather high, but note that the grass is not enhanced. The two versions are more similar at a lower setting, but PhotoLab 1.2 still smooths details - which I sometimes prefer.

Another image I tried contains human subjects. PhotoLab 2's ClearView Plus made the faces and hair seem more detailed, but not always in a desirable way:

ClearView at 40:
    ex2-cv40.jpg

ClearView Plus at 40:
    ex2-cvplus40.jpg

ClearView at 80:
    ex2-cv80.jpg

ClearView Plus at 80: (overcooked, with the differences more noticeable)
    ex2-cvplus80.jpg

The camera used here is an E-M5 II with Olympus lenses.

PhotoLab 2 also brings some new library search and browse features (more planned for future updates), support of .DCP color profiles, and some new camera support including the Panasonic GX9. As far as I can tell, everything else carries over from PhotoLab 1.2, including local adjustments.

Based on today's testing, I've decided to stick with PhotoLab 1.2 for now. I find that I've been using ClearView rather sparingly (under 50 and often under 25), preferring to make more drastic enhancements using the sliders for manual contrast adjustment.

Have you tried the upgrade? What do you think of it?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  2. Drdul

Drdul Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

May 16, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    Richard
    Thanks for this post and the Clearview vs. Clearview Plus comparison. I hadn’t seen much that would make me spend the USD $70 to upgrade to version 2, other than maybe Clearview Plus, and your comparison pretty much put that idea to rest. Unless I buy a new camera I’ll likely wait until version 3 next year before upgrading.

3. ADemuth

ADemuth Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2017
    Koror, Palau
    Is it DxO that offers their previous version for free (or really cheap) from time to time? I wouldn't mind jumping in on PhotoLab 1.x for the right price.

4. MadMarco

MadMarco Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Guildford, England
    Any idea if the Panasonic Leica 20-200 F2.8-4.0 is supported in the new version? Most of the support links to this kind of information end on 404 errors on the web site since the update.

5. ToxicTabasco

ToxicTabasco Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2018
    South West USA
    Did they put in the camera profile for the Lumix G9? And the lens profiles for the recent Power OIS lenses version II for the 12-35, 35-100, and 100-300? I would buy into the DxO if they have these features.

Thanks.

6. Egregius V

Jun 14, 2015
    Massachusetts, USA
    Rev. Gregory Vozzo
    When DxO released PhotoLab 1.0, the online help and web site were a wreck. It seems better with PhotoLab 2 (at least the online manual looks complete), but it also seems that one can only look up supported cameras by accessing the PhotoLab store page. I can't access the body/lens database from within PhotoLab or on the web site anywhere. I suggest submitting a support ticket at support.dxo.com for any inquiries.

I just submitted a support ticket to let DxO know that if you select Help -> Online support and resources, the web browser loads a page reporting Error 404. So whatever DxO has planned with their revamp of the web site (new color schemes, new organization, new resources I hope) - it's very much under construction. Here we go again.

The G9 is supported in PhotoLab 1.2: Supported Cameras - DxO
    Again, I can't see any way to look up a lens. I remember that used to be possible, but not now.

7. Timp

Timp Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2017
    Thanks for the report.

I usually upgrade with every version but think I’m giving this one a miss. I don’t use ClearView that much and in the last two years, have been using it noticeably less and the other improvements don’t really grab me - the updated camera support would be the most useful one for me.

Also, I’ve been using DxO increasingly less because of the lack of GX9 support. Although I also shoot with other cameras, I prefer to have the same workflow for all of them, so have been using other software increasingly. In the past, I’ve had similar issues with camera support and DxO but this time, I haven’t missed using its software as much.

Yes, they’ve given away old versions of Optics Pro and, IIRC, FilmPack for free in the past.

8. Ted_G

Ted_G Mu-43 Regular

Jul 31, 2018
    Global
    Yes to G9. Yes to 100-300 MkII. Yes to PL12-60. Not sure of the other two...I don't own them so never looked. Supported list is on their website.

I was going to complain to DXO having finally purchased the full Elite Package including Filmpack and Viewpoint...but logged into my account to find the V2 is a free upgrade for me. Yay .

I love the software. Easy to use...fast...intuitive...and really gets the best from my RAW files. The difference in processing is noticeable on my website where I detail Photoninja with my previous Fuji and Pentax cameras compared to my current G9.

The Clearview and Prime noise functions are tripping balls amazing. Smart Lighting is 50-50...had some weird results in tricky lighting until I realized SL was not acting smart as advertised . Viewpoint is excellent...the corrections for certain perspectives work really well without off distortion effects. Filmpack is good too...I like the Selenium b+w along with other emulated film presets....gives me back some of the Fuji looks K prefer.

Definitely do the demo first. Fair warning...it's the Elite version and if you like it the Elite price point is high but you 'll want it anyway!

**Edit**I have not done much with the DAM. It's supposedly improved...but I was happy with the existing easy folder-based structure keeping me in control. I personally create a project folder for each shoot...download separate JPEG and RAW sub-folders under the main project...and after culling and edits final output into the project folder. Done and simple. Yes I'm a DAM Luddite but the idea of software controlling my image file manipulation is not for me. Being a relatively ruthless culler makes it easy.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Giiba

Giiba Something to someone somewhere Subscribing Member

Aug 19, 2016
    New Westminster, BC
    I've been curious myself about the upgrade, but the sales pitch is terrible given I bought PL1 less than a year ago and they now want another $70.

Thanks for the comparison.

10. MadMarco

MadMarco Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Guildford, England
    That's really poor customer support.

I would expect access to all upgrades for at least 1 year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock Mu-43 Top Veteran

Then you're gonna be disappointed most of the time. Industry standard is 90 days, with some devs accepting 6 months. Don't ever recall seeing anyone offer a major upgrade for free after a year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock Mu-43 Top Veteran

Have a look at NeoFinder. It is a wonderful DAM that builds catalogs from files in place. It generates thumbnails up to 640 pixels for practically any file. It's fast, has amazing search tools (including smart folders), and is downright cheap.

13. marcsitkin

marcsitkin Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Harwich, MA USA
    Marc Sitkin
    Anyone know how the NIK filters are implemented in this software compared to using them in lightroom or PS? My versions are a bit old, was thinking of an upgrade, but now that this is out, maybe just use photolab2 with LR?

14. Egregius V

Jun 14, 2015
    Massachusetts, USA
    Rev. Gregory Vozzo
    Perhaps Photomatix and CalMAN could be considered examples - but the way I see it, everyone's different. DxO is a very small operation which is continually offering updates - and charges for them once/year. PhotoLab 2 is technically an unfinished product: the new photo browser/search function is the beginning of a series of steps toward developing a form of DAM.

Except for U-Point local adjustments, they aren't implemented in PhotoLab at all. DxO already has its own features which perform the same tasks, more or less.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. marcsitkin

marcsitkin Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 24, 2013
    Harwich, MA USA
    Marc Sitkin
    I guess I'll have to download the demo and see what they've done. Thanks for the fast response.

16. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    I think I will finally be upgrading to DXO PhotoLab 2 after being with DXO Optics Pro 10Elite for 3+ years now. See that Prime had been vastly improved speed and quality wise plus the ClearView Plus seemed better implemented compared to Optics Pro 10 Elite. Besides, I needed the new version to process my Panasonic ZS100 Raw files, which are amazing with PhotoLab 2.

17. ToxicTabasco

ToxicTabasco Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2018
    South West USA
    Thanks for that information. Looks like a good deal. I will look into it.

18. Timp

Timp Mu-43 Regular

Sep 30, 2017
    I don’t think there is a list currently. For example, there are pages on the support page like Is there a list of camera body/lens pairs that have available modules?, which has a link that is meant to take you to a list, but it’s a dead link. Going from memory, but since PhotoLab was launched, similar pages for Optics Pro no longer have valid links links.

19. Ted_G

Ted_G Mu-43 Regular

Jul 31, 2018
    Global
    If what I have now is a "vast" improvement in speed I am glad I didn't try it before. It's not quick going from the baked-in NR to full-blown Prime bu not excessively long. Where I get a slowdown is in the final output processing to JPEG...thankfully it handles multiple images queued for output rendering while I continue chugging along on the edits. Good reason to get up for a stretch :) .

On a side note I expect delivery early next week of my first new monitor since 2012 (BenQ). Yayyy eyes!

• Like Like x 1
  20. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    I usually look up a supported lens via the DXO application in itself. Go into DXO modules and selected Manage DXO Optics Module and select Panasonic G9. It will list all supported lenses for the G9.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.