DxO PhotoLab 2 Elite $89 (expired)

sammykhalifa

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Neil
I bought it on special when I was using a Pentax and loved it.
Went to Fuji and was not amused at all. ( :

I like the defaults with camera/lens profiles.
I like that it supports .dcp.
I really like making film presets. Acros, Astia, Chrome, etc. The preset editor makes it a breeze.

I was a LR user all the way up until 5.7. I've restructured all my new files and don't require a DAM anymore. Just a file browser.

Funny thing: I just picked up an EM1.1 and was surprised to see that 5.7 supports it.
I get surprised every day(at least once a week) by that OLD camera.
I'm still using old LR as the subscription service doesn't work for me. What do you do to the files?

mnhoj

There and back again and again
Real Name
John M
I'm still using old LR as the subscription service doesn't work for me. What do you do to the files?
Sorry for the delay Sammy.

My simple system works for me but I'm sure there are tons of better ways, especially for those who have a more demanding file system.

I still have about ten years of photos cataloged with LR5.7 on multiple external drives.

From around 2016 I started a very basic folder system. Create a folder and import.
Year_month_day_description(vacation place, birthdays, etc.)
If I still shot the amount of photos now as I did back then I would most likely have a different workflow.
I use a free Flickr account with an image or two from all my files from 2016 and preview them in camera roll like an index.

I'm going to give Mylio a try. I think it or something like it might make life a bit easier.

Gillymaru

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I use DXO in conjunction with Lightroom and am happy with the results DXO gives. The only issue I have with the software is it is slow to send the processed files back to Lightroom and I don’t have much success adjusting white balance to my satisfaction.

Gerard

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
After using a free DXO version (Pro 9) for some years. I now downloaded the new trial version.
Biggest differences is the local adjustment tool and the Prime noise reduction.
I have also a free version of the old Nik software kit, so that I can use as the local adjustment tool.
Most of the time I shoot at low ISO and avoid low light, so noise is not so much an issue for me.
These are my initial findings. So I dont think I will buy the paid version, even @ the $89 pricepoint.

Thai-Mike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Michael
I've got a new computer and DXO is my favorite PP software so far. I still keep my LR just in case

Thai-Mike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Michael
The longer I use PL the more I love it. It is so easy to use and the results are stunning. Much faster to pp than LR. (For me)

relic

Mu-43 All-Pro
I use DXO in conjunction with Lightroom and am happy with the results DXO gives. The only issue I have with the software is it is slow to send the processed files back to Lightroom and I don’t have much success adjusting white balance to my satisfaction.
Is it possible the the slow exporting is because you used PRIME noise reduction, which takes time to process? I think DXO processes the noise reduction at the time it exports the file.

Gillymaru

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Is it possible the the slow exporting is because you used PRIME noise reduction, which takes time to process? I think DXO processes the noise reduction at the time it exports the file.
Just using the normal noise reduction still takes DXO what I consider to be a long time to export files back to Lightroom and it takes much longer when I use PRIME noise reduction. I like the software but wish it was faster and the interface is not really great to work with.

Real Name
Todd Cleaver
I agree that DXO is no speed demon on export. My solution has been to create a custom preset (just a few tweaks of the default preset) and have it as the default for my raw files. I open the folder with my new shoot, select all the raw files, start the export and go do something else. When I come back I have beautiful jpegs to work with in whatever other software I want. Not ideal, but it works for me.

Real Name
Ian
When using regular NR, I've not had any issues with DXO's export speed. True, when you use PRIME NR the export slows considerably, but this is nothing new and has been well reported for a while now. IMO, the juice is worth the squeeze when you need to kill excessive noise in the image.

And unlike Gillymaru, I have no issues with the interface. It's fully customizable, which I've done so that the only adjustments I see are the ones I use to edit the images, and I've arranged them in such an order so that I work top-to-bottom through the panel. It works great for me.

My biggest gripe with DXO comes in the form of lackluster localized editing functionality. While the U-Point technology works well in a number of scenarios, I still would like to have a radial graduated filter, and far better edge-aware brushes. Also, I wish that DXO would implement multi-exposure merge (i.e. HDR) as well as multi-image stitching (i.e. Panoramic) in the software. As it stands today, I still use the standalone version of LR6 to perform those tasks.

Real Name
Todd Cleaver
Moderator: Should this thread be moved out of deals? It has morphed into a general DXO discussion.

I was very happy with almost everything about DXO PL raw conversion. I was having a little trouble with yellows and had an even bigger problem with orange. Then I discovered that you can use Huelight profiles in DXO:biggrin:. WOW! I just added my Huelight standard+ profile into my default raw preset and what a difference.

I am one happy camper.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom