1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

DxO PhotoLab 2 Elite $89 (expired)

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by Toddster, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Toddster

Toddster Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 7, 2013
    Florida
    Todd Cleaver
    I received an email for a DxO promotion. I had not tried version 2 so I downloaded the trial. I am really impressed with the default RAW conversion. I also like the U Point technology. While I'd have a hard time justified the $199 regular price I think for $89 I'll give it a go.

$89.00
    WITH THE CODE
    APRIL-SAVE-DPL2
    DxO PhotoLab 2 PURCHASE THE ELITE EDITION FOR THE SAME PRICE AS AN UPGRADE

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. davidzvi

davidzvi Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Just an FYI, PhotoLab does not support Fuji X-Tran.

It's a shame really as there seems to be lot to like about it.

3. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I really want to try this, it's unfortunate that I spent my allotted photography budget for a long while so recently...

4. Thai-Mike

Thai-Mike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 2, 2016
    Thailand
    Michael
    Last week I got it. It is amazing.

• Like Like x 1
  5. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Do you feel like it can replace LR entirely, or are there things you'd still want LR for?

6. Thai-Mike

Aug 2, 2016
    Thailand
    Michael
    Still I use LR too. I think if I familiar with Dxo I will use it instead LR. No I use LR for cropping.

I think DxO is a bit slowly to transfer to disk, but this may only on my com cos my com is not the fastest.

7. Mack

Mack Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2018
    I use it a lot! :thumbup:

I like it more in version 2 since they added the ability to make a profile for a camera and lens with the x-rite ColorChecker Passport and use it much as with LR. I think their Prime is better too as is the ability to align slanted perspective angles too.

They say the update in June will support the E-M1X too. Can't wait!

8. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I downloaded the trial, played around with a few files. It does have a lot going for it, the raw treatment is night and day compared to On1, which I want to like.

Am I correct that the Nik software doesn't directly connect from within PhotoLab? Seems like a missed opportunity.

9. Giiba

Giiba Something to someone somewhere Subscribing Member

Aug 19, 2016
    New Westminster, BC
    Not to be pedantic, but doesn't that seem like expensive software for just cropping? Photolab crops fine as far as I can tell.

I picked up DXO software shortly after buying my first Olympus, after getting sick of Oly's raw software. I never even looked at LR or Photoshop.

10. Thai-Mike

Aug 2, 2016
    Thailand
    Michael
    LR I have for long time and Dxo a short time. I have just ti figure out what both can to for me.

Smart lightning and prime noise is superb in dxo.

Other is easier to adjust in LR.

But I am a dxo learner so I need time to use this software correct.

I process a raw file in LR to my taste than I process the same raw using dxo.

Sone photo processed in dxo are better and some in LR.

Have to figure out why.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Toddster

Toddster Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 7, 2013
    Florida
    Todd Cleaver
    DxO has no built in DAM so for now I am doing my import with LR that way I maintain the ability to do complex searches and filters of all of my library. If I find an alternative standalone DAM that could change though. Also I have found no easy way to apply a vignette with DxO (I hope I'm just missing it) so I use LR for that.

Things I love:
    Default RAW conversion
    U-Point technology
    ClearView Plus
    Prime noise reduction (default NR is good also)
    Nice interface
    Not dependent on a database

Wish it had:
    DAM
    Luminosity mask
    See pictures in sub-folders from parent folder

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I actually rely on and prefer On1 Perfect Effects 9 for things like tonal contrast, vignette and color adjustments. The vignette filters are particularly much better than LR. Big Softy crushes any other vignette filter I've seen for its natural look. However I don't think you can use PE9 from within DXO like you can with LR...

13. NIlaga

NIlaga Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 27, 2019
    Canada
    I'm a beginner in photography, more so in post processing. I would like to get the DxO Photolab but during the trial period, the colors I get are a little off compared to Olympus Viewer 3. I tend to find that Photolab renders skin tones redder even if I set the preference to apply "no adjustments" on raw or jpeg. So even if I export a .tiff from OV3, DXO Photolab still adjusts the colors. Any tips?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  14. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I think I'd get it if the Nik software had any integration. I am stuck to LR because PE9 and Nik work seamlessly as plugins.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Giiba

Giiba Something to someone somewhere Subscribing Member

Aug 19, 2016
    New Westminster, BC
    In Photolab go to the the HSL settings (Hue, Saturation, Lightness) and adjust the red channel; I find it's most noticable under very warm indoor lighting. A small shift towards orange, slight decrease in saturation, and bit of lightening seems to produce nice tone to my eye.

Or there is a camera rendering panel to mimic the output of various other camers or film emulsions, but I only stumble around there.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. relic

relic Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 21, 2010
    North Carolina, USA
    For what it's worth: same experience. I set it to default to 'neutral color" and that improves the colors (for example, yellows look yellow instead of orange, and all colors are less saturated than the default setting).

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. Thanks for this post. I purchased at that $89.00 US price after trialing it for a month. Once I get a handle on using it I might just cancel my Lightroom subscription.

• Like Like x 1
  18. If you want to get the most out of DxO PL2 get DxO Viewpoint and Filmpack. They add features and integrate totally.

19. Web-Betty

Web-Betty Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jun 16, 2013
    Denver
    Melissa
    Thanks for the code! I'm finding the DxO handles Olympus RAW files so much better than Lightroom. <3

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again and again Subscribing Member

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    I bought it on special when I was using a Pentax and loved it.
    Went to Fuji and was not amused at all. ( :

I like the defaults with camera/lens profiles.
    I like that it supports .dcp.
    I really like making film presets. Acros, Astia, Chrome, etc. The preset editor makes it a breeze.

I was a LR user all the way up until 5.7. I've restructured all my new files and don't require a DAM anymore. Just a file browser.

Funny thing: I just picked up an EM1.1 and was surprised to see that 5.7 supports it.
    I get surprised every day(at least once a week) by that OLD camera.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.