1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

DXO OpticsPro Software

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by pcovers, Jun 23, 2016.

1. pcovers

pcovers Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2015
    Wow, what a terrific RAW image editor. I have used quite a few edit tools, mostly Adobe LightRoom. I like LightRoom a lot. But the auto tuning option in the DXO OpticPro software is the absolute best I have ever used or seen. The auto adjustments are lens specific and make edges realistically sharper, distortion almost non existent, sharpness just enough to make a beautiful visual difference without looking over sharpened. This may be old hat to some, but I just discovered the DXO software and am loving it. I used to not do so much RAW, but since I started using DXO, I am a dedicated RAW + jpeg shooter now.

I should add that DXO has a plug in to LightRoom, so I manage the files in LightRoom but perform the DXO tuning in DXO. They get passed back to LightRoom after the tuning. Easy to do any additional tweaks one would want to, to the files once they are pushed back to LR from DXO.

• Like Like x 1
  2. AgentMichaelScarn

AgentMichaelScarn Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2016
    I am also a big fan of DXO; I used Lightroom before I made the switch. Do you have the Elite version? The PRIME noise reduction is awesome and I get great results even at ISO 3200.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. pcovers

pcovers Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2015
    Yes, the Elite.

4. ripleys baby

ripleys baby Straw clutcher

Aug 10, 2011
    I bought DXO simply because I'm running Lightroom 5, And I would have to buy Lightroom 6 to process my GX8 raw files.
    Adobe lost my business . I'll stick to Lightroom 5 and use exported tiff's from DXO.
    A lot of the time my files only make it to lightroom to use the Nik plug in's.
    I am more than happy with DXO.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    I've used DxO for years now, very happy. Once you get it set up, processing goes pretty fast, since the lens adjustments and smart lighting stuff do most of the work. I recently re-processed some old D40 files at ISO 3200 with PRIME noise reduction and improved them no end.

Oh, and the one-shot HDR presets are pretty useful, too.

6. tradesmith45

tradesmith45 Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 13, 2012
    Oregon
    I too have been using DXO since v 8.0 & like it but lately have had some major disappointments. The 2 biggest are slow updates for lens profiles & long exposure noise. Just checked & still nothing for the MZ 8mm f1.8 FE.

The other problem is even more serious for me. I do lots of night landscapes which require long exposers (2-8 min.) at higher ISO (=>800). The noise from m43 cameras for these conditions is high & DXO Prime actually makes it worse looking. That happens whether I turn on in camera long exposure noise reduction or not. I've discussed this w/ support & they say its so camera specific, there is no plan to address this problem. So I end up doing NR in LR or ACR. I did some posting about this a few months ago but have not tried DXO 11 yet.

7. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I just wish it had even rudimentary image cataloging features.

LR is not class leading for image quality and editing, but it certainly is as a total package.

8. pcovers

pcovers Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2015
    Same thoughts here. I would like to be able to just use DXO to import, catalog, and edit all in one. I would happily move off of LR were it not for the lack of cataloging features in DXO. I have to think this is an area that is in the development cycle for future releases.

• Like Like x 1
  9. jon

jon Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 12, 2012
    Buckinghamshire, UK
    Jonathan
    Just upgraded to DxO11 and looks very good. The question I have not resolved is what format to return files from DxO to LR in to maintain maximum flexibility. DNG works fine but adds considerably to the file size! Would be interested to know what others workflow is.

I have also noted when comparing the results from DxO and LR in LR that LR appears to trim the edges of the picture which on occasion can spoil the composition. Not something I had noticed before.

10. soliony

soliony Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 5, 2014
    You might want to check out the free trial of DXO v. 11. It boasts a greatly enhanced PRIME 2016 -- supposedly denoising much faster and more powerful. I've seen some demos that show the speed actually increases as the ISO goes up! The free trial lasts for 30 days -- plenty of time to test it out.

• Informative Informative x 1