DXO Optics Pro 9

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by SkiHound, May 20, 2014.

1. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    I decided to download a demo version a few days ago. I'm impressed with the conversions. Seems to have a VERY GOOD noise reduction module called PRIME. Using PRIME, you have to export the file and it is slow, but if you're working on a special file... Things I like so far: Seems to have very nice default processing. I feel like I can pretty much just run E-M5 files through it and get output as good as or better than the OOC jpegs. In LR5 I feel like I have to do some work on the files. So I was typically shooting raw + jpeg and then using jpegs for quick and dirty things like sharing on social sites with friends and family. I really like the lens modules which basically correct distortion, vignetting, CA, and fine tunes sharpness for each lens. It does not do any local adjustments and it doesn't have things like gradient tools. Anyone else tried this? Here's a throw away snap I took of one of our dogs. Shot at f/1.8 with the Oly 17 at iso 3200. It's also been cropped quite a bit. There was quite a bit of noise, especially in the background. I ran this through PRIME to see how it would look.

http://bjaphotos.smugmug.com/Other/Test/i-GTBGSsS/0/O/P5200066_DxO.jpg

2. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    On an EM1 with default noise reduction - even with Prime enabled - is overly aggressive. I've found that for images at 3200, I would reduce the Prime luminence slider to 17-20.
    For ISO6400 images as a general rule of thumb I'd go to about 25 depending on the image. The EM5 is a bit noisier at higher ISOs than the EM1 so may require slighly more NR as a result. However the default value of 40 is totally overkill IMHO.
    I've also found that raising the lens softness 'global' value to 0 from -50 is a good place to get the sharpness back without oversharpening and artifacts. DXO is a great piece of software and their aftersales is pretty good too if you have problems.

3. gugarci

gugarci Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2012
    Lyndhurst, NJ
    Bill
    I like DXO Pro. But until they add a dedicated history palette like LR, which let's me go back anywhere in the edit process of an image with one click, I'll stick with LR.

4. Cani

Cani New to Mu-43

Jan 1, 2014
    I recently tested DxO Optics Pro 9.5 and eventually bought it.
    I agree that noise reduction is very good though maybe too strong by default at low ISO.

One of the reasons that decided me to buy the software is the advantage it has over LR at wide angle : the field of view is wider than the one offered by either in-body jpegs or LR without any loss of sharpness on the edges/ corners (tested @12mm on the 12-40mm f/2.8, @14mm on the 14-45mm f/3.5-5.6 and on the 14mm f/2.5). On the contrary my pictures at 12mm with the 12-40mm f/2.8 look sharper when processed with DxO Optics than with LR, even on the edges/ corners.

Highlight/ Shadow recovery is also excellent.