DxO Optics Pro 9 Camera/Lens Profiles now available for E-M1

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by OldRadioGuy, Dec 4, 2013.

1. OldRadioGuy

OldRadioGuy Enthusiast Amateur

Nov 11, 2012
    Austin, Texas USA
    Bob
    DxO Labs has released 80 camera/Lens profiles for the Olympus E-M1.

See List.

That's good. The downside, an upgrade ($100 USD) to the Elite version of DxO Optics Pro 9 (for the "pro" cameras) is required.

This download includes Facebook and Flickr features and added sharpening to version 9's new Prime denoise module.

Bob

2. groggle

groggle New to Mu-43

Dec 4, 2013
    Dereel, Australia
    Greg "groggy" Lehey
    Do you have another list? From that page I only see about 27 lenses, conveniently only some of them for raw images, and NOT A SINGLE FT LENS! I've already ranted about this on the DxO forum. I've just got my E-M1 with 12-40, but I also have 5 FT lenses, which I want to continue using. They're charging for an "Elite" system, but on my count there's only one Pro lens in their list.

Greg

3. OldRadioGuy

OldRadioGuy Enthusiast Amateur

Nov 11, 2012
    Austin, Texas USA
    Bob
    Greg, there's a second page you have to click to see the remainder of the list. There are two profiles for each lens -- jpg and raw.

As for your complaint about DxO's Standard and Elite policy, I can't help you there.

Bob

4. groggle

groggle New to Mu-43

Dec 4, 2013
    Dereel, Australia
    Greg "groggy" Lehey
    Thanks. It doesn't work on chrome, so I had to change browser to find the second page. Unfortunately, it doesn't change much: no FT lenses on the second page either.

Clearly. I'm pretty sure that DxO determine their choice of edition based on the body price, so that makes sense. My complaint wasn't about that; it's that they only support one Pro lens.

Greg

5. RakSiam

RakSiam Mu-43 Regular

Oct 11, 2013
    The list works for me using Chrome.

What do you consider to be a "pro" lens? FWIW, you can request them to add specific lens-body combos. There's no guarantee that your request will be honored. And I suppose it also depends on whether they have access to the lens you want.

I complained to them last year when they included the D600 in the "elite" list. I argued that since it's an entry-level FF camera that it should have fallen under their standard version. But they didn't buy my argument. I suspect it is based on cost of the body as you say. I don't know if they have to buy the bodies or if they get them free from the manufacturers.

6. lombardispot

lombardispot Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2013
    So can someone post some photos using Dxo 9 and an EM-1 12-40 pro

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

7. groggle

groggle New to Mu-43

Dec 4, 2013
    Dereel, Australia
    Greg "groggy" Lehey
    It's Olympus' term, not mine. Both the m.Zuiko and the Zuiko lenses come in three categories: M.ZUIKO PRO, M.ZUIKO PREMIUM, M.ZUIKO, SUPER HIGH GRADE, HIGH GRADE, STANDARD (sorry for the shouting). Apart from the primes, the only lenses supported are M.ZUIKO (lowest grade). Compare at http://asia.olympus-imaging.com/products/dslr/ to see all the good, high-quality lenses that aren't supported.

Yes, been there, done that, didn't even get an acknowledgement. The lenses I'm thinking of are supported on other (FT) bodies, so my assumption is that they haven't understood that people will use FT lenses on the E-M1.

8. groggle

groggle New to Mu-43

Dec 4, 2013
    Dereel, Australia
    Greg "groggy" Lehey
    Take a look at http://www.lemis.com/grog/Day/20131207/compare.php , which compares "Viewer" with DxO 9. This is one of a number of test shots and lays no claim to good photography.

The surprise: this was the latest version of DxO, downloaded yesterday. The "standard" version that I have wouldn't process the photos because it wanted to be Elite. But the Elite version doesn't know the E-M1! So though the gradation looks better, the distortion isn't, and it shows that the lens has significant barrel distortion. The image was taken at 12 mm focal length.

Greg

9. RakSiam

RakSiam Mu-43 Regular

Oct 11, 2013
    That's odd. DxO 9.1 Elite works for me with the E-M1 and 12-40 f2.8. You might want to click on "check for update" under the help menu. Or check "about" to make sure you have v 9.1.0. Mine says "build 1505" as well. Of course the module for the camera/body combo will need to download and install as well. Version 9.0 does not support the E-M1 you need version 9.1 for that.

Fixes the distortion automatically as you would expect.

10. lombardispot

Sep 19, 2013
    Can you post some comparison photos between SOOC JPEG, Lightroom, and dxo? Or at least SOOC JPEG and DxO.

11. groggle

groggle New to Mu-43

Dec 4, 2013
    Dereel, Australia
    Greg "groggy" Lehey
    Yes, that's exactly what I have. I only downloaded it a couple of days ago, after all.

Yes. I tried that, and according to the "Download modules" tab the E-M1 isn't supported. The E-5 is, so it's clearly the correct version of DxO.

Greg

12. RakSiam

RakSiam Mu-43 Regular

Oct 11, 2013
    That is definitely a mystery then. The only other thing I can think of is that you have the standard version and not Elite. It should say "elite" as well when you click on "about". I am guessing that must be the issue since the E-M1 most certainly is supported by the Elite version. I have been using it for my images for the last several days.

13. groggle

groggle New to Mu-43

Dec 4, 2013
    Dereel, Australia
    Greg "groggy" Lehey
    Don't let it worry you. As long as DxO doesn't support any more lenses, it's pretty much useless to me.

Greg

14. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Ok, I've seen something strange with the latest build of DXO. I'm new to developing digital RAW files and have come from film background , so be gentle!
    Basically with the E-M1 and when working with RAW, i've noticed that it's corrections for some lenses are far superior to others in the context of the detail extracted.
    For example, comparing default (with noise reduction off) on both Lightroom (both with and without Huelight Color Profiles) agains the DXO standard profile (with camera body set to Olympus E-5 as there is no specific E-M1 color profile but this mimics close enough to E-M1 color profile with just a tad more gamma). I can see on lenses like the Panasonic Leica DG 25mm F1.4 that DXO does a spectacular job out of the box. Generally it nails images.
    However on lenses such as Panasonic 100-300 the default lens profile with DXO is crap. For whatever reason, irrespective of sharpening in 'lens softness' I find that DXO cannot pull the same amount of detail in the corners on this lens as Lightroom (however it definitely still pulls more detail in the centre).

Finally, those of you here with DXO , how do you find it compares with Lightroom? It looks to me that if I also want to use Nik plugins with DXO, then I also need to fork out for lightroom to use as a launch pad for Nik. Alternatively I could pick up the Topaz FXStudio collection and just run those in a standalone app.

Generally speaking , what is your workflow for those of you here that use DXO ? Do you use additional plugins on the side like Topaz, Nik ? Or do you just integrate with Photoshop. I'd really appreciate any advice :)

15. lombardispot

Sep 19, 2013
    I downloaded DXO today and did some initial comparisons with the em-1 and 12-40. Skin tones had a magenta / reddish cast that was horrible. Lightroom is better than DxO but worse than JPEG

16. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Are you using the camera body color profile for Olympus in dxo?? (they give you two presets available, the e-5 one was the most comparable to Olympus viewer to my eyes but I also noticed the same magenta thing. The dxo standard preset without doing this is superred. Even the default Olympus profile can be a tad red.
    However if you enable 'portrait' in tones tab and then also turn down the slider a notch or two on the intensity setting and increase the slider on the keep details (both find in color profiles) it looks to do a great job on skin tones at least on Caucasians.

Have you tried capture one? How do you think that compares? Personally I like the punchy default sharp look, but I wish they had profiles for the more popular m43 lenses like dxo. Skin tones look good however, if a tad yellow.

17. RakSiam

RakSiam Mu-43 Regular

Oct 11, 2013
    I have found that DxO has pretty responsive tech support. So I would say contact them with your issues and see if they have some ideas how to correct them.

18. RakSiam

RakSiam Mu-43 Regular

Oct 11, 2013
    In my case for probably 95% of images I am just using DxO and get perfectly good results. For my HDRs I use the Nik HDR plug in with PS6.

I do not have the 100-300 lens so I can't comment on that. Most of my E-M1 shots have been with the 12-50mm kit lens. Some with the 60mm macro, 45mm f1.8, 25mm f1.4, and the Panny 35-100mm f2.8.

Are you looking at the details after the image has been processed or just in the processing window? If you are just looking at them in the DxO software make sure you are viewing them at least at 75% in order to see all of the corrections. They don't apply all corrections to images below that size in the preview. Some of my images show a lot of purple fringing for example at smaller size, but as soon as I view them at larger size that is removed in the preview. And of course the processed final images remove it.

19. Alle

Alle New to Mu-43

Oct 27, 2013
    Since I use DxO for my EM1raw file I am really happy with the results I get details noise reduction amazing all the lenses available (12mm | 17mm | 45mm | 75mm | 60mm | 12-40mm | 150mm 43 | 7-14mm 43) much better results that what I used to get using Lightroom! For my point of view Lightroom is not yet fully compatible with the raw file of the EM1.
    You may see some of my pictures at https://www.facebook.com/SandroTassoPhototography or on Flickr

bottom line if you want to get most out of your raw files from your EM1 give it a try to DxO elite!

20. lombardispot

Sep 19, 2013
    Okay, I tried the E3 body profile for Light and Color. Much better than the Dx0 default rendering. I compared DxO to Lightroom (Huelight Standard) to SOOC JPEG. Colors and details of the JPEG are best, DxO is next best with better noise reduction and good color and contrast, Lightroom falls in last. I'm mainly looking at skin tones in this case, but I also checked color and detail in hair and clothing. I'll try to post some photos. Keep in mind that you MUST change the color rendering in DxO or it's HORRIBLE!