1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

DxO Optics Pro 9.5 and Lightroom

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by OldRadioGuy, Jun 19, 2014.

1. OldRadioGuy

OldRadioGuy Enthusiast Amateur

Nov 11, 2012
    Austin, Texas USA
    Bob
    The latest version of DxO Optics Pro -- 9.5 -- has added a plugin for Lightroom, allowing DxO to open a selected raw file from Lightroom and then return the processed file to Lr as a JPG, TIF or DNG.

I don't use DNG files, but the JPGs and TIFs work very well this way.

Bob

2. YantaYo

YantaYo Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Colorado
    Just noticed the plugin for Lightroom. Downloading the trial to see how it works.

Thanks,

3. CarlG

CarlG Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2013
    Tampa, FL
    Carl
    I would love to hear how you guys are liking this new feature in DxO. I'm still not over the moon with LR 5.5 and how it renders color and detail with my E-M1 files, although the Oly color profiles are a vast improvement over the "Adobe Standard" profile of before.

I'm just not convinced my images are not as sharp as LR renders them. I do shoot with quality optics (12-40, 60 macro, 75 1.8). I see an improved difference in OV3 but just don't like the OV3 interface and it's lack of speed.

4. synthetictone

synthetictone Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Dean
    I just finished the trial of DxO Optics Pro 9 (is it 9.5 or 9... I thought latest was 9) and was using it with LR5.5.

My two cents, I liked it. It did offer a slight improvement in rendering of RAW files over LR but it was just slightly. I felt that running my RAW from GH3 through Optics Pro and back to LR5.5 as DNG gave me a slight better base to work from for images. As for the noise etc., maybe it marginally renders it better than LR but again it is just a slight difference I felt and nothing dramatic.

I noticed a great difference in distortion correction and image scale between LR and Optics Pro. It did also seem that the default settings (no adjustments in Optics Pro) gave me a bit more sharpness and slightly better noise rendering than LR alone.

I also feel it is probably possible to accomplish most what Optics Pro does in LR alone but I think it would take a bit more tweaking per image. So is it worth the price? I am considering getting the $99 standard version just to convert more important RAW shots but honestly, I could go without and continue using just LR and probably never be concerned. I don't think it is a must have type of thing but can be helpful.

• Like Like x 2
  5. CarlG

CarlG Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2013
    Tampa, FL
    Carl
    Thanks, Dean!

6. CarlG

CarlG Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2013
    Tampa, FL
    Carl
    Dean, which trial version did you use? Elite? I see with the E-M1, the Elite version is the only one I can use if I want my camera and lens profiles. I'll give it a try too to see if it is worth the asking price of $199.

7. synthetictone

synthetictone Mu-43 Regular

May 22, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Dean
    I believe I was probably using the Elite edition that they offered free for 30 days. I see the standard version supports my GH3 though. I also just seen that B&Hphoto is offering the standard edition for $69 and Elite for $149. That might seal the deal for me on the standard edition.

8. CarlG

CarlG Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2013
    Tampa, FL
    Carl
    Thanks again! I'll download the trial version tonight and see how it goes. I'm hoping it helps more than LR 5.5 has. I just can't imagine the files to be as noisy and soft from an E-M5 or E-M1 with the 12-40 2.8 as they are.

9. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Make sure you watch a few of the basic DxO tutorials explaining what various tabs do. The sharpening tools work really well for profiles lenses (the lens sharpness tab, don't use the unsharp mask unless you don't have a profile, IMO). I've been using it for years, and really like it. I pull back a little on the default settings (less NR, little more neutral most of the time)

• Like Like x 1
  10. YantaYo

YantaYo Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Colorado
    I might pick it up for that price ($69). It is on back order though. Thanks for the info.

11. CarlG

CarlG Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2013
    Tampa, FL
    Carl
    I've been using DxO the last several days and I am not a fan. I hate that the preview does not show the adjustment until it's zoomed in at 75%, unless I'm doing something wrong. I also find it a bit clunky and slow. I will give it one big kudos - the lens correction feature is phenomenal!! But I'll stick with Lightroom for now and have a look into the Huelight profiles.

12. mattia

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    The preview does show some things zoomed out (not sharpening and noise reduction and such, but you can't really evaluate that zoomed out); I agree it's not as slick as Lightroom and it's a bit slow, but the results make it worth it for me. Plus it integrates just fine now.

13. YantaYo

YantaYo Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Colorado
    Hi Mattia,

What is your work flow? Do you process the raw files in DxO and then export to Lightroom?

14. mattia

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Honestly I don't make full use of LR yet, because I process almost everything in DxO, and move the Lightroom of I want other adjustments. The most recent version of DxOnoncludes a plugin to export and import tiffs back. I will probably start using Lightroom more because the catalogue is getting hard manage without proper DAM.

15. YantaYo

YantaYo Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Colorado
    I am not sure what is happening when you export a image from DxO to Lightroom as a DNG file. When I do a black/white export as DNG the adjustment shows in Lightroom in the DNG file. However, when I export from DxO a color image to Lightroom it just looks like the original image in Lightroom. The color tiff exported from DxO to Lightroom maintains the corrections applied in DxO. What is the point exporting as DNG if corrections are not maintained?

16. YantaYo

YantaYo Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Colorado
    The DxO Lightroom Plugin tutorial explains color might not be exactly maintained in a DNG. Not sure I want to export 1000's of photos as tiffs.

17. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    For M43 you have to use the Elite version at $299. That is more than I paid for LR. I did the trial and just did not see any major benefit to the compared to what I already do in LR and my plugins (Nik, and Perfect Photo).

18. YantaYo

YantaYo Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Colorado
    I am showing the recommended software for my Oly EM-5 is the standard edition and not the elite. Right now the standard edition is $69 at B & H.

The processing of the Oly RAW files in DxO is very close/exceeds the Olympus software. In some cases DxO handles noise better. Just straight out of the box conversion DxO is better to me than Lightroom. I just cannot get Lightroom to handle noise as well as DxO.

19. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I have been Lightroom-based for some years, since LR3 actually. Last month I bought DxO Optics for use on selected images, not every one. It fits seamlessly into my workflow, from LR to DxO, then export to LR as DNG or JPEG on 100 Quality, as per needs.

I think the colour is definitely better.

The Auto tone correction in LR is terrible, and DxO is miles better. (When I try Auto tone in LR, I usually have to Undo it and start again).

The Prime noise reduction of DxO is the main reason I bought it, and I do prefer it strongly, even though it is incredibly slow.

20. YantaYo

YantaYo Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Colorado
    What type of DxO edits do you find export well as DNG? The color edit do not export well.