1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

DXO noise reduction vs Prime

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Saledolce, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Saledolce

Saledolce Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Apr 17, 2017
    Italy
    Today I processed a few shots I took in Barcelona last week, most of them at night as usual for me in my business trips. I used noise reduction quite a bit, as I had my Oly 12-40 with me, and shot often at ISO3200.

I used DXO basic noise reduction and also Prime, I wonder: what is the rule of thumb on when to use Prime rather than the faster option? I don't care about the additional processing time, should I always prefer the Prime algorithm or is there situations where the faster option is better?

thanks!

2. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    in my case, i would use the faster option from ISO 400-800 and I am processing a lot of photos. Prime benefits from 1600 and up. Sometimes I dont do NR on 100-200 ISO as i like a little bit of grain.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Egregius V

Egregius V Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Jun 14, 2015
    Massachusetts, USA
    Rev. Gregory Vozzo
    So far, I haven't noticed any situations where PRIME is the worse choice. The only time I don't use PRIME is when ISO is low, there is no blue sky, and shadows aren't being pushed much.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Thai-Mike

Thai-Mike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 2, 2016
    Thailand
    Michael
    I use prime if my ISO gets 3000-6400

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.