DXO Nik Collection 2 w/Photolab 2.3 Essential Built-in

JLGF1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jerry
As I understand it, a DNG is just a RAW format file (happens to be Adobe's standard for a RAW). A container file stores the information after it has been "unpacked" by the software, in a format that allows different programs to access it and it can store information losslessly, allowing for edits between different programs without losing information.
DNG is a container format that can contain raw files of any type (or jpegs for that matter).

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

If Tiff format were a standardized container format for raws there would have been no need for another format (ie DNG).

Tiff files are raster/bit-mapped...raw files are not. Hence, Tiff files do not contain raw (camera proprietary) data.

Last edited:

BosseBe

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Bo
I just re-downloaded the "Nik Collection" from the DxO website. It's installer has no mention of an "optional install" - PhotoLab will be installed.
View attachment 752608

So it appears they're more interested in pushing their PhotoLab (not yet ready for prime time) than selling just the NIK plugins. Too bad. Last year's software stays installed because I can call the desired plugin directly from LR, Exposure, Luminar, wherever.
When I installed NIK V2 I cancelled the installation of DxO PL when that popped up (IIARC). So yes it will try to install DxO but you can stop it.

Pieloe

New to Mu-43
DNG is a container format that can contain raw files of any type (or jpegs for that matter).
If Tiff format were a standardized container format for raws there would have been no need for another format (ie DNG).
Tiff files are raster/bit-mapped...raw files are not. Hence, Tiff files do not contain raw (camera proprietary) data.
YES, and we can say there are two type of DNG files.
- DNG universal raw file
- Linear DNG which contains a raster image ± TIFF + metadata informations

Digital Negative - Wikipedia

Pascal

Thanks. I'll give it a shot and report back.
No option to -not- install the app and, in fact, required that I either provide a reg# or permit the app to be a pro trial. Thankfully, i can dump the app and the plugin -apps- may be called from Exposure. However, I don't see much that would require an upgrade from the 2018 versions. That being said, the 2018 version of Silver Efex is excellent and I do not regret last year's upgrade cost to own it

JLGF1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jerry
However, I don't see much that would require an upgrade from the 2018 versions.
Apparently, you are not alone (on the contrary); at least that seems to be the reaction from existing users.

Last edited:

Egregius V

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rev. Gregory Vozzo
It seems pretty clear to me that Nik 2 isn't merely an update to Nik 1, but a repackaging aimed at drawing new customers away from Adobe. It comes with a license for PhotoLab 2.3 Essential edition as an "included" RAW developer. It's an effort toward some semblance of integration that began with adding U-Point to PhotoLab and now includes built-in export functionality. I think it's well worth the cost for new customers - considering what Nik once cost on its own and what PL Essentials now costs on its own. As an existing customer, I don't find it a worthwhile upgrade, so I'm happy to skip it and wait for a better offer.

I've dumped the
It seems pretty clear to me that Nik 2 isn't merely an update to Nik 1, but a repackaging aimed at drawing new customers away from Adobe. It comes with a license for PhotoLab 2.3 Essential edition as an "included" RAW developer. It's an effort toward some semblance of integration that began with adding U-Point to PhotoLab and now includes built-in export functionality. I think it's well worth the cost for new customers - considering what Nik once cost on its own and what PL Essentials now costs on its own. As an existing customer, I don't find it a worthwhile upgrade, so I'm happy to skip it and wait for a better offer.
Agreed; if one is coming to Nik as a new customer, the Collection is worth the price of admission (especially if one may find a coupon or waits for a sale). Perhaps the PhotoLab app will be de-bugged and given a bit more friendly UI. I'm not a fan of U-Point but others may find it quite useful depending on how much PP'ing they are already doing with other apps. Regardless of my feelings, however, it's a good thing to have choice.

saladin

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
jason
I've been considering Dxo for a while, and getting both Nik and PL essentials for $99 seemed to good to refuse.

Downloading them now. I'll probably upgrade to the top level PL for the prime noise ability, but we'll see how the basic program goes for a while.

Fuchalmania

Mu-43 Rookie
Hi all, I'm a bit late to the launch of Nik 2. But found out about it through a sale DXO are offering this weekend.

I already have Photolab 2, Filmpack 5 and Viewpoint 3, bought as part of their elite bundle last year. I held off buying Nik Collection 1 back then for two reasons:

- No integration with Photolab 2.
- Was advised in these forums that Filmpack 5 and PL2 featured everything Nik 1 had.

The second point seemed to stack up when I gave a trial version of Nik 1 a go. So my question is, has this changed with Nik 2?

BosseBe

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Bo
Nik gets its own button in PL2 so maybe that can be called integrated.
I would not say that Filmpack 5 and PL2 has everything that Nik has, there is HDR in Nik that is not available in Filmpack and PL.

Fuchalmania

Mu-43 Rookie
Nik gets its own button in PL2 so maybe that can be called integrated.
I would not say that Filmpack 5 and PL2 has everything that Nik has, there is HDR in Nik that is not available in Filmpack and PL.
Thanks so much for providing some further light. Think I'll hold off.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom