DXO Mark OMD Lens Results (Finally)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by F/Stop, Aug 2, 2013.

1. F/Stop

F/Stop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Brian Y.
    Finally, DXO mark tested micro 4/3 lenses on the OMD and not just panasonic bodies. Every lens gained a few points (as expected)

Best Primes And Zooms For OMD And GH3

The 75mm is on top, and when compared to the FF 135mm f/2 L lens from canon, well, you'll see.:2thumbs:
  2. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Frankly this is pretty shocking. I mean don't rush or anything, the 20 was only the first lens for the system practically.
  3. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    The most interesting thing to me in these tests is the degree to which the strong AA filter in the GH3 degrades the lens scores. And it makes me happy that the GX7 doesn't have one.
  4. FlyPenFly

FlyPenFly Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Jesus what a terrible test.
  5. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    What a surprise here. DxOmark's result render in order of largest to smallest maximum aperture with the sole exception of the 75mm for prime lenses. As usual, they need to stick with sensor testing as the weighted criteria used with their lens ratings is just bloody awful.
  6. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Zapastista, could you explain what you mean by this? I've always appreciated DxO's lens tests and I'm struggling to understand what the problem is.

Are you only referring to the total/final lens rating (DxO Score) number?
  7. mlphotic

mlphotic Mu-43 Rookie

May 24, 2013
    Finland, Kangasala
    Anyhow, the best are on the top!
  8. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    It doesn't matter what the methodology is. What's important is the application of their standard methodology, weighting system to see the relative ranking of these lenses.

No empirical testing will ever capture the true rating of a lens. It's just not possible. To truly appreciate a lens requires subjective perception and that changes from person to person. At least DxO tries to be consistent in their empirical tests. There's nothing wrong with that.

None of this means anything unless people actually use their gear. Skill level can even the playing field.

Update: What may be of interest (or perhaps cannon fodder) to some is the comparison of NEX-7 & Zeiss 24/1.8, 32/1.8 vs. E-M5 & O17/1.8, P25/1.4. MFT needs a 9 mm prime to compete against the Zeiss 12/2.8!
  9. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    hmmm. 45mm outscores the 60 macro. I don't think so.

10. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    their total score includes 5 measurements which means it can be a bit misleading. if you're talking about sharpness, then yes it shows the 60 is sharper. the 45 picks up a bunch of points from the larger aperture.
  11. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Yea, I agree. I find it odd that manufacturers use such strong AA filters when photographers hardly ever complain about moiré, but are always bitching about sharpness. Maybe it matters more for video use? Might explain the GH3's approach.
  12. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    It's interesting to see the 17/1.8 so high too, given how badly it was attacked in the Lenstip article and by many others around the u43 forums. It's actually ranked above the 12/2 which is frequently referred to in almost reverential terms! Maybe it's just the screwy weighting system they use.
  13. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    All of its dislikes were due to its pricing in the EU and its sharpness compared to 20/1.7. Nothing wrong with the lens if price is no object.
  14. F/Stop

F/Stop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Brian Y.
    Thinking about picking up the 20 1.7 II and selling / trading the 17 1.8 after some first impressions are released.

The weighting system is screwy, but i tend to look at the individual results, sharpness etc, vs the overall score..
  15. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    DxO provides very useful data about lenses and data, if one reviews, and understands it, in the graphs. DxO uses what are known as figures of merit for the less technically inclined.

DxO has always tested lenses on a variety bodies and has been using the OM-D for µ4/3 lenses for a while. One needs to go the the actual lens test and use the pull down menu for the camera to pick the number you want.
  16. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Is there a meaningful description of how they get their 'sharpness' rating? There doesn't seem to be any differentiation between center/edge/corner performance.

I'm having a tough time swallowing the notion that the Olympus 12/2 is somehow a 'sharper' lens than the Panasonic 45/2.8.
  17. macalterego

macalterego Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 10, 2012
    Lawrence, KS
    Jeffrey McPheeters
    I have never really valued 'overall' scores for lenses since I use them usually for specific types of shooting. I might use the 45 1.8 mainly for portraits and would be wanting to know ho it performs in low light wide open with respect to center/edge/corner performance. And for me, the 12 f/2 would be mostly a landscape len and I'd be interested in center/edge/corner sharpness at f/11-f/22.
  18. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yes, I agree 100% here -- that said, as has been a hot topic of debate here and elsewhere is that the Panasonic Lumix G 20mm f/1.7 ASPH has been tested and found to be the superior of the Panasonic-Leica 25mm f/1.4 Summilux (in terms of resolution / sharpness). I own them both and at least based on my own "observations", I have to concur... Interesting that DXO Mark asserts that the Pany-Leica ranks right up there with the Oly 75mm! :confused:
  19. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    The significant problem I have isn't with their testing methodology. It's with how the data is converted to a final result. I don't beleive that a simplistic one number answer is ever going to provide a useful rating for anything. And I don't think a 5 number chart is much better. People who have no idea what to look for in a lens are going to be misled by a single numerical finding and people who do know what to look for can't get enough real data to make an informed decision.

A landcape photographer might be happy to give up a bit of centre performance to get much better sharpness in the corners. Macro photographers generally want a flat plane of focus and will sacrifice some performance at infinity to get stellar performance close up. Portrait photographers might weight more pleasing bokeh and a sharper drop off of DOF over ultimate sharpness. DXO's numbers do nothing to say if a lens is fit for it's intended purpose because they boil every lens down to the same single numbers. It's like criticizing a Ferrari because it can't tow a caravan.

What we end up with is an endless number of brick wall photographers quoting DXO's numbers on cameras and lenses to justify their purchase decisions without ever taking usage into account. It also makes it seem like some modern lenses are relatively poor, when in fact most modern lenses are quite capable of exhibition quality results in the hands of the right artist.

I can't wait for the threads that want us to choose a lens for someone we don't know, where they're comparing a 12,14 and 17mm lens based on DXO's numbers rather than the usefullness of, and differences between the actual focal lengths. Because we all know there's no difference between a 12mm and 17mm lens except that single number, right?

Personally, I'll take the tests from Rodger at Lens Rentals, any day, over DXO's results.

20. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Wow is Jesus a member here!?