DXO Filmpack for free.

RT_Panther

Mu-43 Legend
I assume it won't you select any of the plugins? During install? That's how mine is...can't select anything....

Hmmm...If I remember correctly, this is the case. But mine did for some reason select the Elements plug-in along with stand-alone.....:redface:

Sammyboy

m43 Pro
Mine allowed me to select both CS4 and Aperture as well as the stand alone. Only the stripped down version of the stand alone worked,

digitalandfilm

Mu-43 All-Pro
I understand why Sammyboy is pissed- no mention of this being abbreviated, gelded software version. If you represent free software- then say it's not the real thing.

coffeecat

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rob
At some point (I can't remember if it was installation or first run) it asked me to make a choice between something like "expert" mode and "easy" mode. I'd be surprised if you can't changed it later. And mine works fine as a plugin from light room. So I'm fairly sure I got the full featured deal, all for free.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk 2

dweller

Mu-43 Veteran
I think I got the essentials not the expert version. LR plugin works ok. Not bad for a freebie but can't say I'll be using it much.

Sent from my B92 using Mu-43 mobile app

chipbutty

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rob
So yours has a full set of sliders? This is what mine looks like. Not much to play with. Far fewer sliders than screen shots I've seen in reviews of Film Pack 3. Well I guess there's no such thing as a free lunch. It's not bad but very limited with the very basic slider set.

i-TLQhX78-L.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

At some point (I can't remember if it was installation or first run) it asked me to make a choice between something like "expert" mode and "easy" mode. I'd be surprised if you can't changed it later. And mine works fine as a plugin from light room. So I'm fairly sure I got the full featured deal, all for free.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk 2

coffeecat

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rob
So yours has a full set of sliders? This is what mine looks like. Not much to play with. Far fewer sliders than screen shots I've seen in reviews of Film Pack 3. Well I guess there's no such thing as a free lunch. It's not bad but very limited with the very basic slider set.

Ah ha...

No, mine looks exactly like yours. I have some sliders but didn't realise that wasn't the "full" set. Now I look back at my confirmation email, it says here is your activation code for blah blah "essential edition". Bum, I thought I'd somehow got the expert edition (I was confused by the download adverts in the download web page for version 4 essential and expert). Looking back at the web page, this offer is clearly for "essential".

Still, it's free eh!

chipbutty

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rob
Expert and Essential have the same sliders I think. The main difference between the two is more films and batch conversion in Expert. For whatever reason DXO chose to omit most of the sliders in this free version of Essential.

I hate to complain about free stuff but this is like winning a night in a luxury hotel only you're not allowed to use the mini bar or any facilities. But you can still sleep for the night :)

Ah ha...

No, mine looks exactly like yours. I have some sliders but didn't realise that wasn't the "full" set. Now I look back at my confirmation email, it says here is your activation code for blah blah "essential edition". Bum, I thought I'd somehow got the expert edition (I was confused by the download adverts in the download web page for version 4 essential and expert). Looking back at the web page, this offer is clearly for "essential".

Still, it's free eh!

digitalandfilm

Mu-43 All-Pro
That's lame. Not particularly interested. I thought it would be Lightroom plugins. Oh well.

I agree.. the real deal would have interested me more, and I would have been more apt to purchase the entire set.

(such is life-still no free lunch in NYC) :biggrin:

twokatmew

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Margaret
Having installed this freebie and also the trial for DxO FilmPack 4, I think the issue is that the freebie FilmPack 3 is only 32 bit software, which accounts for why RT_Panther is able to use it from PS Elements. Those of us unable to access FP3 from Lightroom are probably running 64-bit systems, and by default LR only installs the x64 version on 64-bit OSes. Thus we end up with the standalone version only....

Joe Billingham

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
jore
Very strange, used AOL (twice) and no activation code, tried again using Yahoo, bingo, there is was. Thanks.

I too used my AOL email twice since it's my throwaway account and the code didn't arrive. Finally I tried my work address and it instantly arrived but went straight to the spam folder.

digitalandfilm

Mu-43 All-Pro
From another forum;

After further review, it certainly does appear that they (DXO) have removed at least 5 groups of controls from this Film Pack. Can’t understand for the life of me why they would do this especially without any mention of it. If the intention was to give you a taste of their products with the expectation of drawing you in, this just may have the opposite effect, as its left me mildly annoyed, but it’s not like I’m out any money, and I don’t think DXO will be seeing any of it anytime soon, as a can hold a grudge for a very long time ;.)

````

Yes. They chose to completely remove most of the sliders. Very disappointing. I actually find it pretty useless in the state. It’s OK for a quick conversion but if you want to do further editing on a JPEG you’ll need to use something else. Googling a review of Film Pack 3 and looking at a screenshot will show all the sliders that are missing in this free version.

dwig

Mu-43 Top Veteran
...Those of us unable to access FP3 from Lightroom are probably running 64-bit systems, and by default LR only installs the x64 version on 64-bit OSes. Thus we end up with the standalone version only....

I've had no issue with FP3 installing fine on either Windows8/64bit or MacOSX10.6/64bit. It runs both standalone and as a plugin in PS/CS4, PS/CS5, and LR4, all 64bit on both platforms.

I think the issue some are having is that FP3 is a distructive filter and, thus, can't function in LR as a live non-distructive "Preset" in LR's Develop mode. In LR, FP3 functions as an Export plugin and can be seen only when exporting an image.

RT_Panther

Mu-43 Legend
I wonder if one can purchase the cheaper upgrade of DXO4 with this installed instead of the full blown DXO4 :confused:

twokatmew

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Margaret
I wonder if one can purchase the cheaper upgrade of DXO4 with this installed instead of the full blown DXO4 :confused:

Unfortunately no. It says it's not upgradeable. I have to say I really like their Kodachrome 64 emulation and prefer it over others I've tried. Whether it's good or bad, I don't know. But I like it. Just not willing to spend $79 or $99 for it. And that's with the coupon code SONY092013.

http://www.dxo.com/intl/sony

twokatmew

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Margaret
I've had no issue with FP3 installing fine on either Windows8/64bit or MacOSX10.6/64bit. It runs both standalone and as a plugin in PS/CS4, PS/CS5, and LR4, all 64bit on both platforms.

I think the issue some are having is that FP3 is a distructive filter and, thus, can't function in LR as a live non-distructive "Preset" in LR's Develop mode. In LR, FP3 functions as an Export plugin and can be seen only when exporting an image.

My experience has been different. Installing on Windows 7 SP1/x64 and doing a custom install, I'm only able to select the standalone version. There's no plugin option for Photoshop CC, the latest is CS6, which I don't have. It also won't let me select the Lightroom plugin, either. It's been stated several times that "Edit in" is required to use the Lightroom plugin, but if it won't install, using "Edit in" is certainly not going to help. My supposition is simply from my own experience doing a custom install of both the FilmPack 3 freebie and FilmPack 4 trial ... as well as comments from others about their install experience. But from what you describe, it sounds like we've got two completely different pieces of software. Very strange indeed.

RT_Panther

Mu-43 Legend
Unfortunately no. It says it's not upgradeable. I have to say I really like their Kodachrome 64 emulation and prefer it over others I've tried. Whether it's good or bad, I don't know. But I like it. Just not willing to spend $79 or $99 for it. And that's with the coupon code SONY092013.

http://www.dxo.com/intl/sony

Well you're in a better situation than me in that at least VSCO will work for you. :smile: (VSCO does not work with PS Elements)

Latest threads

Top Bottom