DXO Filmpack for free.

twokatmew

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Margaret
Well you're in a better situation than me in that at least VSCO will work for you. :smile: (VSCO does not work with PS Elements)
Heheh, I don't own VSCO, and it's even more expensive! I've got Topaz, Nik and the XeL Lightroom presets. :smile:

Fmrvette

This Space For Rent
Real Name
Jim
...Installing on Windows 7 SP1/x64 and doing a custom install, I'm only able to select the standalone version. There's no plugin option for Photoshop CC, the latest is CS6, which I don't have. It also won't let me select the Lightroom plugin, either.
Hi Margaret!

Interesting stuff.

On Windows 8 I can see (and use) it as plugin from LR4. I did a standard installation.

Of course I still don't know what to do with it now that I have it, but it was free...:biggrin:.

Edit: When I go to "About" in the "Help" selection it shows Version 3.2.3 Build 94 64-Bit.

Regards,

Jim

Attachments

dwig

Mu-43 Top Veteran
...Very strange indeed.
Strange indeed.

I don't know how the FP3 installer sniffs out the presence of PS and/or LR. It could try to find Adobe's Registry entries (on Windows) or look to see if there are apps installed in the standard locations (Mac or Win). If the latter, a custom install location could cause the installer to fail.

If the latter is the cause, creating a dummy folder in the normal Adobe location might fool the installer into installing a plugin that could then be moved to the correct location. Something like:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins
and
C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4\Plug-ins

which is the default install location for the plugin foldera for PS/CS4 on Win8/64bit and is where my plugins for CS4 were installed. The FP3 installer also installed "Photoshop Plugins" folders (2) in its own folder tree under Program Files.

The LR4 export "template" (aka Plugin) installed in:

C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\Export Presets\User Presets\DxO Labs

twokatmew

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Margaret
Thx Jim and dwig. I always install software in the default location, and although I didn't try the standard install, a custom install of the FilmPack 4 trial installs both PS and LR plugins just fine. Anyway, I've now played with the v4 trial enough to convince myself that between Topaz and Nik plugins and LR presets, I've got plenty to work with. GAS has subsided. :biggrin:

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

chipbutty

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rob
It appears I was wrong on this. After some digging I found this http://www.dxo.com/intl/photography/dxo-filmpack/tech-specs So in the Essential version you definitely get less control. Some reviews stated that the only difference between Essential and Expert is batch processing and more films. Not true.

Expert and Essential have the same sliders I think. The main difference between the two is more films and batch conversion in Expert. For whatever reason DXO chose to omit most of the sliders in this free version of Essential.

I hate to complain about free stuff but this is like winning a night in a luxury hotel only you're not allowed to use the mini bar or any facilities. But you can still sleep for the night :)

BSH

Mu-43 Veteran
Wooot! Thanks for the tip, OP!

Not sure how much I'll actually use it, but it looks like a great toy to add.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom