Dx0 Topaz Denoise/sharpen AI workflow?

Nick779

Mu-43 Regular
Does anyone use Dx0 in combination with Topaz denoise or sharpen standalone?

Im going to give them a try at some point, but I have no idea what that workflow would look like. Can Dx0 sidecars be read by topaz, or is there some way that they pass the RAWs back and forth so that my basic edits can be read by topaz before final processing?

Or would I edit in Dx0, export as a DNG or a TIFF, then repoen in Topaz for final processing?

Real Name
Richard
Considering it's best to start off with something as noise free as possible - and - Topaz Denoise AI uses heaps of resources, I would crop in DXO and do basic edits first, open the TIFF in Topaz, let it do its automatic denoise and sharpen wizardry and then finish off with fine tuning back in DxO.

That is how I use it in lightroom (as a plug in).

My reasoning is that I need to be pretty confident I've got a viable image and get the cropping out of the way before passing it to Topaz.

A full size 20mp ORF can leave lightroom (at which point it's converted to a TIFF) and take a few minutes to go through Topaz - I tried a hi-rez jpeg as an experiment last night and that took 20 (I'm using a quad core 2.2ghz macbook with 16gb ram and an SSD drive, although 3 year old spec, it's not a slow machine by anyone's definition).

It's worth the wait - bloody brilliant software.

JLGF1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jerry
The key to pleasant processing times with this (AI) software is the GPU. I'm not sure if the 20 above is 20 mins, but my 16mp ORF's (~100Mb Tiff) are processed much faster than that on an outboard GPU desktop with 4GB VRAM; less than 1 minute depending on the operation. Laptops are sometimes hamstrung by their iGPU in this regard.

Real Name
Richard
The key to pleasant processing times with this (AI) software is the GPU. I'm not sure if the 20 above is 20 mins, but my 16mp ORF's (~100Mb Tiff) are processed much faster than that on an outboard GPU desktop with 4GB VRAM; less than 1 minute depending on the operation. Laptops are sometimes hamstrung by their iGPU in this regard.
Indeed, roughly 20 minutes, maybe a bit less - but it was a 285mb TIFF :) Normal resolution files usually take 1-2min depending on the complexity of the content. It's a laptop therefore it's using the onboard 1.5gb graphics card.

Nick779

Mu-43 Regular
Ill have to give it a shot. Cant be too bad with a desktop 4 core, 8 thread I7 @ 4.7Ghz, 16GB of RAM, and a GTX 1080 (8GB)

Ive never really messed with TIFFs before, do the edits save inside the file or does it still use sidecars?
ex:
#1 Dx0 - basic edits + PRIME NR?
#2 Export as TIFF
#3 run through Topaz
#4 export from Topaz
#5 Final edit in Dx0?

Ive never really had a full processing workflow in multiple programs, so this is a first for me.

JLGF1

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jerry
Ive never really messed with TIFFs before, do the edits save inside the file or does it still use sidecars?
No side-cars; loss-less format with edits self-contained. Most photo apps can handle the format. Your HW should be more than sufficient for low processing times.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom