DX-SLR user just joined the M43 brotherhood

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by DeoreDX, Mar 19, 2013.

1. DeoreDX

DeoreDX Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 13, 2013
    Alabama
    I'm a long time Nikon DX user, picking up my first DX body towards the end of '06. I kept my trusty old D50 for close to 6 years and over 24k shutter actuations. I captured a lot of great images with the old D50 and even won best in show in a local photography contest with it.

D50 80-200 f2.8 AF-D ED
    Darknesss.

D50 80-200 AF-D ED
    DSC_5953+%281%29_filtered.

The lure of better high ISO performance had me looking for a new body in '11 but with a new house and a kid and a golfing habit I never seemed to have the disposable income to get the body I really want, so I picked up a last generation 12MP DX body in a D5000. When I was looking at the D5000 body I was contemplating switching to M43 with a G3 instead but in the end I decided that I wasn't ready to switch yet. Probably the main reason I wanted to stay with my Nikon system was how much I relied on the flash system for indoor shots of my son. A good flash system makes a high dollar big aperature lens less of a necessity for getting good indoor pictures of the kiddos.

D5000 18-105 AF-S VR + SB600
    Help.JPG

D5000 24-120 AF-S VR + SB600
    [​IMG]

When the OM-D came out I thought that would be a M43 body I could replace my Nikon system with, but because of finances I would have to sell off all my Nikon gear to afford it. I'm not 100% ready to do that yet. With the prices of the last gen Olympus and Panasonic bodies so cheap, I could easily pick up a cheap M43 body to get me into the M43 world. I wanted one of the newer faster focusing bodies and was ready to pull the trigger on a GX1 or G3 but eventually decided to get a E-PM1 instead. It is scheduled to be delivered today so in a few hours I will officially be part of the Micro Four THirds world. If I am happy with the performance of the E-PM1 that will begin my full conversion from DX to mu43. I see a lot of the same faces posting here that post over at Nikon Cafe, those same people who's images woke me up to what the m43 system can do. Now I'm off to Amazon to order some more junk for my E-PM1 and wait for the mailman to drop my E-PM1 off :biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  2. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd recommend keeping the Nikon body + a good lens from your bag and the flash... keep your feet in both worlds.. dont make the jump completely in case there is something that doesn't sit right with you and m43.... Get yourself a nikon to m43 adapter so you can use your old nikon glass.

I myself have both my Pentax K-5 system with 2 lenses + flash and my m43 (army - have 4 now.. :) ) where i use MF lenses about 95% of the time. I have the E-PL1, E-PL2, E-PM1 & the recently acquired E-P3... they are all used for different situations and use different focal lengths and mounts. The beauty of the m43 system. I use Pentax K-Mount lenses, Pentax 110 miniature lenses, Cmount TV Lenses and the Body Cap Lens from Olympus + the kit lens.

So welcome you will enjoy your mini.. the lens currectly attached is my Pentax-110 50mm w/ Close Up filter... it is a small combination... I recommend getting a grip for it.. I think the only i have is the flicbac g4...

3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Welcome to the forum. I think you'll really like the size of the E-PM1 and you'll be surprised by the quality of images it is capable of producing, but since you're coming from a DSLR I think you'll find yourself missing the viewfinder.

Thanks for sharing a bit of the story of how you arrived at :43:. I always love to hear those experiences. Also thanks for sharing some images. I'm so curious as to what is in that Christmas gift your little guy is opening. That shot puts me in mind of the briefcase from Pulp Fiction.

4. DeoreDX

DeoreDX Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 13, 2013
    Alabama
    It was a staged shot for our Christmas Cards that year. Lined the bottom of a box with aluminum foil and placed a couple of small LED flashlights in the bottom to reflect the light up. We buy those card where you stick a 4x6 on the front for our Christmas cards. We will buy them when they are on clearance after Christmas so I have a year to think up what I want to do with the picture IIRC the card from that year said something to the effect of "May your Holidays be filled with magic moments". It was a tough shot to get with the poor high ISO performance of my D50, and that shoot was the main driver for me to upgrade my body to a newer sensor.

5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome aboard! It took me a while to move from Canon DSLR gear to full :43: but I just couldn't see keeping gear that I didn't use. :43: can do that to you. :biggrin:

6. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    DeoreDX,

Welcome to the forum (from a former Nikon D300 shooter).

Regards,

Jim