Dust Spots - Worry or Not?

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by Boatman, Jan 26, 2016.

1. f22 unedited.jpg f22 optimized to show dust.jpg f11 optimized to show spots.jpg I checked my new G7 for dust spots recently and found that it had some. I cleaned the imager with a rocket duster and found that I still have some - sort of.

I've discovered that the dust spots only really show up if you test at f22 and to a lesser degree at f16. At f11 the spots are essentially gone. You have to advance the clarity in Lightroom to really see the spots and NONE of them show up using the spot removal tool, visualize spots - even the ones at f22.

Since 4/3 sensors have two stops of depth of field more than full-frame cameras, I almost never use f22 and rarely use f16 because I know that most of my lenses max out in sharpness by f8. Therefore, I am not worrying about this dust. Should I be?

The three images are f22 unedited, f22 optimized to show spots and f11 optimized to show spots.
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  2. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    If you can't see it under normal operating conditions, I wouldn't worry about it.

However, I am surprised you had to blow some air in there -- every time I've noticed sensor spots, toggling the power on and off activates the ultrasonic cleaner and that took care of it.
  3. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I wouldn't worry. I don't worry about things that don't register on any of my five senses.
  4. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    I found a couple huge ones recently after taking a couple pics of a helicopter at f/22... The rocket blower mostly got rid of them, enough that they're barely visible at f/22, so I don't worry about it anymore.

5. yendikeno

yendikeno Mu-43 Regular

Sep 5, 2015
    ^^ What Barry said...