1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Dust reduction

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Gary_Berg, May 27, 2012.

1. Gary_Berg

Gary_Berg Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2012
    How does the dust reduction capability of the G3 compare to the same capabilities in Olympus cameras? Specifically, either int E-P3 or OM-D?

Thanks.

2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    It should be the identical Olympus-designed system in every cam.

3. Gary_Berg

Gary_Berg Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2012
    I wasn't sure if Olympus licensed their dust reduction to others or not.

What made me ask was as I was reading reviews I hit an article about the G3 which mentioned the at some time you WOULD need a sensor cleaning system.

If Panasonic was able to license the Olympus "dust buster" then that's great!

Thanks.

4. The Olympus SSWF dust removal system was shared back in the Four Thirds DSLR days and I think the system is still common between both brands today. There is/was a perception that with the sensor being so exposed, mirrorless cameras would suffer more from sensor dust, but my experience is that that theory has either not eventuated in practice or the SSWF system is as effective as it is claimed to be. I had more sensor dust issues on Canon DSLRs than I ever have with Micro 4/3.

5. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    however with all the facts, why that I never find the dust reduction helping me?

each time when there's dust, any dust, I clean that by myself.

6. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The SSWF only works well for small particles that are not sticky. In particular, it's not as effective for things like pollen. Perhaps those are the particles you're dealing with.

DH

7. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    So there will probably be more small dust which I'm not seeing if there weren't this reduction?

sometimes it's got fiber on the sensor, the fiber's so tiny that I can use any tool to get rid of, but is that even too sticky for the dust reduction?

I'm too scared to clean the sensor now, because it's like I'll ruin it before the dust does!!