Dust on Sensor GF1 Help!

flyby

Mu-43 Regular
I have a spot on my sensor. Don't know how it got there..probably changing lens..but I'm careful here. None-the-less, I have a spot..rather large on the sensor. I have tried the dust removal feature numerous times but it remains. It is most likely not dust but something that was wet and now dried onto it. Shows up on some pics.

Anyone know a safe method in which to remove or should I take it to a dealer to have it cleaned?

Thanks in advance for help! :redface:

Justified_Sinner

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dauvit Alexander
I use a rocket-blower to remove the dust and this mostly works. A friend of mine who is a professional photographer cleans his digital back with a sensor-cleaning pen and says this is quite safe, though I've never tried it.

flyby

Mu-43 Regular
Don
Thank you so MUCH! I'm on my way out to Sammys camera in LA..I will get the ingredients for the sensor cleaning kit and then come back and watch the tutorial. You are FABULOUS! Thank you.

Alan Wolf

Mu-43 Regular
sensor cleaning pen

I use a rocket-blower to remove the dust and this mostly works. A friend of mine who is a professional photographer cleans his digital back with a sensor-cleaning pen and says this is quite safe, though I've never tried it.

I've just gotten one of these, but am not sure if I will use it when the need arrises; as I'm comfortable with the wet-swab method. But if the pens work as well on sensors as they do on lenses, it seemed like a good idea—especially for travel, when (if I remember correctly) the company whose fluid I use can't be flown with. I 'm hoping someone will be a guinea pig with the m4/3 sensors and these pens. Overall they got very positive reviews on Amazon (from people who used them, as opposed to a number of bad reviews from people who didn't use them but said not to).

flyby

Mu-43 Regular
To all...THANK YOU! for your help and good advice. I ended up going to Sammy's Camera and having the repair tech look at it. He freaked! It was not dust, but a spot which had dried onto the sensor..big one too! He asked me to leave the camera with him until Monday afternoon so he could have it cleaned professionally. But! Then he remembered that the Rental Tech was on the premises and took my camera downstairs for him to look at.

Moments later he returned with my camera in hand and promptly replaced the lens onto the sensor handing me the camera he stated that the spot was gone and all was well. I asked how..laughingly he said that the tech used the famous and well known brillo pad and an exacto knife to remove the offending spot.

I do not know what he did, but as if by Magic..my sensor is spotless! And the charge for this service...Zero/Nothing/Nada.

Thank you all for your help in this matter, I had no idea where to turn or what to do..except not touch my sensor. Thanks Don for your info and I will certainly use that method if dust appears. But in this case it wasn't dust but something far more lethal. Which made me run for help. Again thank you all!

CanonDude

Mu-43 Rookie
FWIW...I always make a point of changing the lenses as quickly as possible, and never with the open body facing upward. That is just inviting something to fall in on the sensor.
I often see people remove the lens, and than lay the open body down on its back while they make the swap of lenses from their bag. Baaaad!
Keep the body in the vertical position, or pointing downward when changing lenses, and have everything ready before you start the swap.
It's much easier to clean a lens than a sensor!

BlairMacKay

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks for this thread in advance. I know in the future I will be in the same situation, so I will bookmark it and thank you all for the input!

pellicle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
pellicle
Hi

I have a spot on my sensor. Don't know how it got there..probably changing lens..but I'm careful here.

sorry to be late ... back when I bought my 20D I had some dust which would not move with a blower. Here in Finland in the winter dust seems to combine with static to adhere to the sensor cover glass.

I bought a new soft artists brush and being careful to not touch the hairs with my hand (adding oils) I normally give it a brief sweep as I use my blower bulb. (size 10 flat)

Brushtypes.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I bought a blower bush years ago, but lost the brush part and now use the art brush and blower bulb, one in each hand. I got a bulb which is about double the size of an egg

works a teat.

btw I never get worried about dust, well unless changing lens in a Ranthambore park dust storm.

tiger1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

pellicle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
pellicle
Hi

It was not dust, but a spot which had dried onto the sensor..big one too!

glad its fixed. For what its worth, I try to keep my camera oriented down when changing lenses ... if anything like a drop of sweat or a sneeze happens somewhere around me it makes a difference.

glad to hear it worked out well :)

Latest threads

Top Bottom