Dust on my GX7 sensor...see video

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by racin06, Mar 16, 2014.

1. racin06

racin06 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 11, 2013
    After shooting several different videos yesterday, I noticed to my dissatisfaction that my GX7 appears to have dust (two spots) on the sensor. I have changed lenses and the spots appear in the same location. Therefore, this has to be a sensor issue...thought I don't visually see anything on the sensor. I tried the in-camera sensor cleaning function and I also blew some air into the sensor and the problem still exists.

The two spots in question are located near the center-top of the video. As you can see, the spots also become sharper as I zoom in. Also, when zooming in, you will see two additional spots that appear in the video at the top-right quadrant of the video...one of the spots is fairly large, as well. However, these two additional spots are only occurring with the 14-42mm kit lens. Therefore, this must be dust in the lens? So, how do I clean the sensor and how do I remove the dust from inside the lens?

https://vimeo.com/89252120 (expand to full screen for best viewing)

2. racin06

racin06 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 11, 2013
    72 views and no replies...really?

3. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Yea.. Sorry, I have no idea how to get rid of stubborn dust like that. Only ever had dust once and the sensor cleaner function fixed it.
    How old is the camera?

4. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

Time to bust out the Pec pads and sensor sauce and have at it. If it's a visible speck I sometimes use the Speck Grabber to nix it instead of scrubbing the works.

5. armoredpig

armoredpig Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2013
    If you really want to get a good look at the dust, step your lens down to F8 or more! I think the spots are getting sharper because the aperture is closing in as you zoom in.

By F16, the dust spots will be totally sharp.

6. racin06

racin06 Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 11, 2013
    I purchased the Sensor Swabs and Eclipse cleaning solution and after four attempts the dust is still there. What could be going on here? Is it possible the dust is lodged between the sensor and the protective glass covering the sensor?

7. Anthonys

Anthonys Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Sydney
    Anthony
    I had dust on my GX1 after a trip through Marrakech. It was easy to see taking a photo a clear sky with a small aperture. I took it to a professional camera repair centre called Fixation (in London) and they cleaned it in 15mins while I waited, they had facilities to check where it was coming from etc.

8. stw

stw Mu-43 Regular

Jul 23, 2013
    The only advice I have is to be really really careful. A friend of mine tried to clean his sensor and totally screwed it up.

9. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    Yes be very careful. There have been posts about cleaning sensors on Olympus cameras. IBIS cameras can be susceptible to non warranty covered damage.

10. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    does the gx7 have an AA filter or anything else in front of the sensor? Those spots look too sharp to be on top of an AA filter. It looks like its in direct contact with the sensor....if thats the case and there is a filter of some sort on top of the sensor, then you wont be able to remove the dust. You would have to send it in for service

11. MitchHamilton

MitchHamilton Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2010
    Banff, Alberta, Canada
    Interesting...In the video the spots actually change their properties when the lens is zoomed in. Are the dust spots there when using a different lens? I think the spots might be in the lens not on the sensor.

12. Jeffrey

Jeffrey New to Mu-43

May 6, 2014
    I think so, same case here for me, i cannot see any dust on the filter, but see a dust in the picture.
    So sad, my Gx7 is no official warranty......

13. parka

parka Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2012
    You might want to call up Panasonic and ask how much it would cost to get the sensor cleaned. It does not require warranty for that type of service.

14. Jeffrey

Jeffrey New to Mu-43

May 6, 2014
    Thanks for your advice:2thumbs:

15. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I hate to ask the obvious, but did you try using a rocket blower to see if that removed the dust?

--Ken