Dust on my brand new E-PM1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by DDBazooka, Sep 27, 2011.

1. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    I just received my EPM1 today and have only played around it with a few hours. I've swapped lens a few times to test them (faced down of course) and then, being a bit paranoid (my previous DSLR accumulated a bit too much...) I took some shots stopped down to F/16.

I found two spots, tried a different area, and they're still there. I then proceeded to take the lens off and check the sensor (or glass?) and sure enough, there's a speck on there. I grab my rocket blower, gave it a thorough puff but it seems to be stuck.

I ran the dust reduction thing a few times by turning it on and off while face down but still no luck.

Any advice? It's driving me insane
  2. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Recently I heard same problem happen to other type as well, looks like the QC of Olympus are not as high anymore. I don't think it's dust that stuck in your sensor glass, Oly SSWD did good job to shake off the dust...I suggest you contact the Oly service center to do the cleaning or replacement.
  3. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    ALWAYS make sure the power is OFF when changing lenses. No matter what camera brand you use, when the sensor is energized, it becomes a dust magnet.
  4. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Good to know. I've been changing lenses with power on.
  5. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    I never change my lens with the power on, that just seems kind of silly.

I took a pec pad I had lying around and taped it to a sensor swab then just gave the sensor a good dry light "poke", all is good now, still alarming to see it get dust so easily though.
  6. mach330

mach330 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2011
    The OC
    i've alwys wondered how you turn on the DR. Is it something we can just turn on automaticlaly or it's like a switch to run it or not run it?
  7. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    No you can't do it manually unfortunately. It runs on startup everytime.
  8. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I had a camera that had a spot like that after a couple weeks of use. Took it back to the shop and they cleaned it for free...
  9. DDBazooka

DDBazooka Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    Olympus offered to clean it for me (I probably have to pay shipping though) but I don't like the idea of someone going into my brand new camera :mad:
  10. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You should be ok.. they screw it up.. its their fault. What better company to replace it than Olympus themselves. The shipping is kinda of a bummer though... good luck.