Dust?? Olympus lenses

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Jamesgjy, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Jamesgjy

Jamesgjy Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 11, 2011
    Today I tried to look through my 75mm f1.8 while lighting its inside with a flashlight, and I noticed a LOT of tiny shiny particles in the lens that appear to be floating.

Prior to this finding, I always thought lens dusts are tiny dark spots that are visible when you look through the lens to a piece of white paper, at least that's how I identify them.

I got worried because I've only owned the lens for 3 days, so I check all my other lenses only to find the same result! But those other lenses are relatively old, 12mm f2 and 60mm macro. Also my 60mm macro has 2 dark dusts that are visible no matter how you look at them, and they are indeed not the same as these shiny ones. Yea... my only weather sealing lens.

However when you look at anything not as bright, such as a piece of paper, they are not visible at all.

I've attached some pictures taken at various angles to show these "dust", but there are actually a lot more if I change the focus distance, this is just 1 "layer" of them. The back lens cap was attached when I shot these pictures. Can anyone else confirm this?

2. 3. 1.
  2. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    relax... if it doesn't affect your images, it's all good. :thumbup:
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Jamesgjy

Jamesgjy Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 11, 2011
    After some more research I think it's safe to say this is normal..

Warning: Do not check your lens with a flash. ;)
  4. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    Every lens, even new ones, have dust in them. Its just a matter of how bright your light source is and how close you look!

It takes a significant build up of dust/debris to affect image quality.
  5. JeanLucX

JeanLucX Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2013
    My brand new 75mm has the same dots. They are actually reflections from Olympus world class ZERO coating technology.
  6. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Yes it's normal, these lenses are not air tight... dust on the sensor is more of a problem than on lenses. :smile: Enjoy your beautiful new lens.
  7. Jamesgjy

Jamesgjy Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 11, 2011
    This is what I've speculated too, thanks for the confirmation!
  8. rogergu

rogergu Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2013
    My 2 day old black 75mm is also not dust free, but really little, countable, probably similar to yours.
  9. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
  10. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    My Olympus 60mm f/2.8 Macro has a tiny black spot.
    I have that lens for less than a year and I always blow any trace of dust when I get home from a photographic walk.
    Plus, I keep all my lens safe from humidity or dust and with the front and rear caps all the time.
    Even so, this tiny black spot showed up on my 60mm lens.
    Even knowing that it does not affect image at all, I'm disappointed and asking myself how could this happens on a sealed lens...
  11. Nathan King

Nathan King Mu-43 Regular

Jun 19, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    I own an old medium format lens that is so dusty it looks like some of the inner glass elements are made from frosted glass. The lens still takes great pictures. I wouldn't worry about a few spots at all.