Dust in Olympus 45mm lens

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by BigMike, Jul 13, 2015.

1. BigMike

BigMike Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2012
    Maybe it's just my bad luck, but I have had obvious dust in the front element on two brand new Olympus 45mm lens received. Is this the norm/expected given it's relatively cheap price.
  2. stripedrex

stripedrex Do or do not. There is no try.

Jun 8, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    I have them in mine also. Vacuum with the host attachment and round brush helps quite a bit. Keep in mind when you clean the glass to not push dust into the perimeter. On mine I believe that's where it gets in.

For the most part they don't show up in the pix. On occasion in OOF areas I'll barely see them. I have to be looking for it.
  3. BigMike

BigMike Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2012
    yeah, not too concern from an IQ perspective but 1) many prospective buyers do like a dust free lens, so may impact resale value and 2) thought Olympus would have better QC in this regard.
  4. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Every lens maker and every lens, regardless of price has this very same issue. Is is extremely difficult to keep all dirt out of a lens during assembly or repair.
  5. jazzuk777

jazzuk777 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 3, 2015
    In my naiveté I thought that was a big part of the reason some (admittedly precision-ground) glass and plastic costs £150 plus!
  6. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    It's uh, surprisingly low tech -

^ my favorite bit in this is the lady with long hair and no hair net going - "I'm done cleaning this element, so I'll put it on this table while I clean the other one. Oops better put it under a plastic tumbler to make sure it stays clean!" :D

But yeah, money wise - lots of custom machinery, lots of manual labour checking the results, very expensive big flawless pieces of optical glass being worked etc etc.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. xvvvz

xvvvz Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2013
    This lens seems more susceptible to dust than average. You sure do see a relatively high number of posts about it and a lot are in reference to brand new lenses.
  8. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Dust inside of lenses is normal. A lens cannot be sealed against the atmospheric air, if it were the vacuum would stop you from focusing - and then occasionally some dust will get in and maybe even some pushed out. Be careful what you look for, some people have found spiders inside their lenses!
    • Like Like x 1
  9. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
  10. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    There was this on lensrentals a while ago too :D