1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Dust in lens?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Dwight, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Dwight

Dwight New to Mu-43

Jun 22, 2010
    I have the Olympus 14-42. I always get a spot on my pictures. The spot is in a place that shows if I'm shooting a clear blue sky. I've repeatedly cleaned the front and back of the lens with no change in the problem. I can see a little speck of dust on the inside of the rear element.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Leave that lens alone ; a lens can't focus on itself, at worst a (huge, more likely half a sand bag) dust speck inside would make a halo. What you see is dust, but on the sensor itself (well, to be precise, the protective glass in front of it). Clean it with care.

3. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

• Like Like x 3
  4. Dwight

Dwight New to Mu-43

Jun 22, 2010
    I forgot to mention that I don't have any problem when using the Panasonic 20mm. That's why I wasn't looking at cleaning the sensor.

Now, I do see a speck of dust on the sencor. You were right. I still don't understand why the it doesn't affect the Panny lens.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    It very may well be a dead pixel....

6. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    I'm talking from my *ss here, but the pany is optically speaking a terrible lens, with HUGE barrel distortion, and worse, an incredible corner vignette of about 2 stops. What makes it so sharp and good is purely electronics and algorithms. It may very well be that this correcting software is "cleaning" your dust speck automagically. Or, if the spot is in a corner, to correct the barrel distortion, an electronic zoom is applied on top of other previous corrections that crop the final image, so your spot may be simply cut out.

That's why I asked for images of your problem.

7. Dwight

Dwight New to Mu-43

Jun 22, 2010
    First, I want to say thank you. I think you were probably right the first time when you told me to look at the sensor. I just looked through 1000 pictures in Lightroom and realized that I have no Pany pictures that have clear blue sky in the area of the spot. That might explain why I don't see it on the Pany photos.

Then, I looked at the sensor. There was a speck of dust in the right place. I gently blew it with some canned air and then it was gone. I'll test it with both lenses the next time we get blue sky. (That's not a common thing where I live.)

Once again. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

8. et100

et100 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2010
    Chicago area - USA
    You may also consider pixel mapping if you cant clean it other ways.

9. Dwight

Dwight New to Mu-43

Jun 22, 2010
    We finally got some clear weather here and I was able to test my camera. The problem appears to be solved. THANK YOU.

• Like Like x 1