1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Dust Fiber in PL 25 1.4

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by ekinwang, May 25, 2013.

1. ekinwang

ekinwang New to Mu-43

Oct 3, 2011
    Hi All -

I recently came across a great deal locally on a Panny Leica 25. Tried it out on my EPL2 and pictures are gorgeous, however, when I look through the lens, there seems to be a dust fiber in one of the middle lenses (can't really tell, but definately not in the front or rear.

It is not a desk spec, but rather looks like a really thing short hair - right smack in the middld of the lens. I took a number of shots and it doesn't seem a problem or show up in any of the pics. I am not as experienced as you guys, any concerns I have if I purchase this lens? Also, would this impact the resale value?

Thanks!

2. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Maybe that's why it's a great deal to you as the buyer.

3. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I would not worry about it. Lots of lenses get this stuff and in 40+ years of photography I've had lots of occasions of dust and fibers inside lenses over time.

I have yet to see them make any major difference -- fungus that hazes the lens is another matter, but that's usually quite old lenses that develop that.

Yes, might affect resale for some -- but if you are going to stay with micro four thirds that is probably one lens you shouldn't sell. It's a keeper.

4. ekinwang

ekinwang New to Mu-43

Oct 3, 2011
    Thanks!

Are there good tests I can do to see if the dust shows up in pictures?

5. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Focus on something bright and even (like a clean sheet of paper or something) at the absolute minimum focusing distance at both wide open aperture, and well stopped down, say to f/11.

Most likely it will show up in close focus with a wide depth of field. Usually only happens in very wide angle lenses when it can be seen at all. Look for differences between the two photos. It's a good idea to take several of each to make sure some random thing isn't influencing the photo.