Dust Fiber in PL 25 1.4

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by ekinwang, May 25, 2013.

1. ekinwang

ekinwang New to Mu-43

Oct 3, 2011
    Hi All -

I recently came across a great deal locally on a Panny Leica 25. Tried it out on my EPL2 and pictures are gorgeous, however, when I look through the lens, there seems to be a dust fiber in one of the middle lenses (can't really tell, but definately not in the front or rear.

It is not a desk spec, but rather looks like a really thing short hair - right smack in the middld of the lens. I took a number of shots and it doesn't seem a problem or show up in any of the pics. I am not as experienced as you guys, any concerns I have if I purchase this lens? Also, would this impact the resale value?

Thanks!

2. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Maybe that's why it's a great deal to you as the buyer.

3. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I would not worry about it. Lots of lenses get this stuff and in 40+ years of photography I've had lots of occasions of dust and fibers inside lenses over time.

I have yet to see them make any major difference -- fungus that hazes the lens is another matter, but that's usually quite old lenses that develop that.

Yes, might affect resale for some -- but if you are going to stay with micro four thirds that is probably one lens you shouldn't sell. It's a keeper.

4. ekinwang

ekinwang New to Mu-43

Oct 3, 2011
    Thanks!

Are there good tests I can do to see if the dust shows up in pictures?

5. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Focus on something bright and even (like a clean sheet of paper or something) at the absolute minimum focusing distance at both wide open aperture, and well stopped down, say to f/11.

Most likely it will show up in close focus with a wide depth of field. Usually only happens in very wide angle lenses when it can be seen at all. Look for differences between the two photos. It's a good idea to take several of each to make sure some random thing isn't influencing the photo.