Dumped Canon to try u43

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by sidfarkus, Sep 1, 2013.

1. sidfarkus

sidfarkus New to Mu-43

Sep 1, 2013
    Listed all my Canon gear (60D + lenses) up on eBay earlier this week so I can get a GX7 and see what all the fuss is over this :43: stuff ;)

I really want something small so I can convince myself to bring the camera out more and I'm hoping this does the trick!
  2. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    Welcome to the darkside.

I haven't dumped Canon... but I'm in the process of thinning out the inventory.
  3. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    I just sold all my Canon stuff too. Wanted to use all the money to invest in more nice u4/3 stuff, but at the same time I ended up with some unexpected large medical expenses. I did allow myself a new Oly 45 and a used P14, and I had just bought a G5, so I'll get by. I had hoped to get the P25 as well, but that will have to wait.

But you are gutsier than I am. I got into u4/3 a year ago with an E-PM1 and kit lens and then picked up the O40-150 dirt cheap. When I realized that my Canon gear was sitting unused for most of that year, I realized I could sell it and still be happy with photography. Of course, like I said, I had intended to use the money totally for new camera gear. Oh well, there will be more time to get the 25 later. And the 75. And the 100-300 or hopefully something faster. And...
  4. sidfarkus

sidfarkus New to Mu-43

Sep 1, 2013
    I realized I was shooting with my cellphone so much I rarely got out the big ol' SLR any more. I pretty much only ever had my Sigma 30 1.4 mounted and I realized I could get just about the same results from a much smaller package.

I'm still deciding on exactly which camera--definitely leaning towards the GX7 but the OMD can be had for ~650 or so used which is a big point in its favor. I'm getting the Panasonic 25mm and the Oly 45mm 1.8 to start with and I'll build from there.
  5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    2 good lenses to start out with :smile:
  6. dejongj

dejongj Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 3, 2013
    Whipsnade, UK
    I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I dumped my Nikon gear anf loving it. Some nice lenses to start with :)

Another good one is the 35-100
  7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Welcome aboard! I did the same thing with my 40D kit. :thumbup:
  8. ejackso1

ejackso1 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 26, 2012

I also recently got rid of a Canon 60D to try out :43:. I sold my 60D with 18-135 kit lens for $700, and my EF 28mm f/1.8 for $350, both via Amazon.com.

I grabbed a GF1 body for $115, and once the funds from my Amazon sales come through (they hold your money for a while :frown: ) I'll be buying the Panasonic 14mm f/2.5. This setup is both smaller and cheaper, but another reason I made the switch was because I was very disappointed with the lens selection Canon has for the crop sensors.

I don't understand why Canon won't make some nice EF-S prime lenses for their crop sensor bodies. Panasonic has the 14mm f/2.5 and the 20mm f/1.7 which give you fast 28mm and 40mm equivalent focal lengths, respectively. It's perfect. I don't understand why Canon won't release a decent, yet cheap (like the EF 50mm 1.8, which I loved everything about- except the fact that it was an 80mm lens on my 60D) EF-S 25mm, so that all the crop sensor users can have a nice standard prime lens. The EF 28mm I had was VERY soft at f/1.8 (and I'm not being nit-picky about corners or anything- the entire images were soft), so I ended up using it at f/2.2 and up anyway. The only other choice for a somewhat standard focal length was the Sigma 30mm, and that is hit or miss because some copies are known to have focusing issues. There's no good choice for a standard. Then there's wide-angle. If you want wide-angle on a Canon crop sensor, the only choice you have is the EF-S 10-22, and it's a slow f/3.5-5.6 zoom! There's just not a good selection of lenses for the Canon crop sensor bodies. They make lenses for their full-frame bodies, and crop users are just stuck dealing with whatever awkward focal length they end up with after the crop factor comes in to play. :rant2:

Sorry for the rant. :redface:
    Again, welcome and enjoy :43: with it's nice selection of prime lenses and nice 2.0 crop factor! :2thumbs:
  9. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Well, I got rid of my Canon crop camera as well, but I never felt limited by the lens selection. Really, there are tons of lenses made for the Canon mount. The 10-22 is a great lens and there isn't anything in the u4/3 mount better except perhaps the P7-14 which has it's own issues. But for the Canon crop camera you can get a Tokina 11-16 2.8 zoom if you want faster than the Canon.

I do agree that there aren't alot of great choices for a 50mm equivalent prime if you don't want to try the Sigma 30 or spend the big bucks on an L prime. But the Sigma can be a great lens and the L primes definitely are if you don't mind the high cost.

But....I have been very happy so for with my u4/3 and don't ever see myself going back. And I was such a Canon fan boy.
  10. Dduval

Dduval Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    Orlando, FL
    I went thru canon, Nikon, & sony nex and finally happy with MFT...welcome aboard!
  11. BigdaddyT

BigdaddyT Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 23, 2013
    I did the same. Dumped all my dslr gear and haven't looked backed.
  12. mazg

mazg Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2013
    Hi, I'm in the process of thinning out my Nikon gear to do the same (Lumix G5). Once I'm comfortable with M43, then I'll be dumping the rest. Very exciting process - so freeing to be finally rid of the burden of the weight/size.
  13. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi.. Welcome to this wonderful forum and excellent MFT format . U won't miss 60D at all as current generation of MFT are excellent cameras . I have EOS M which used the same sensor as 60D and I can tell u .. OMD is more pleasing and offers better ISO performance . The Lenes are small and offer excellent optical quality .
  14. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Sid, welcome aboard!

15. sidfarkus

sidfarkus New to Mu-43

Sep 1, 2013
    Thanks all!

It turns out I'm a little sceptical of the GX-7 given some of the initial impressions online so I'm going with a lightly used OMD that I can swap for a GX-7 if the larger OMD doesn't work out.
  16. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    Maybe consider a less expensive body to start, and spend your money on lenses? I'm a huge GX1 fan, still only $280 new on Amazon right now. You won't loose much money on a body that's already 'old' and devalued, or buy a used one... There are many other bodies to chose from.

I'm a former Canon FF dSLR shooter and had a nice assortment of quality lenses, I sold them all after coming over to m4/3 in November last year. :2thumbs:

Welcome to the forum.
  17. RajC

RajC Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2013
    I've been a Canon super zoom (S2IS, SX40) for years before trying out m4/3.
    I've not seen an improvement in IQ with the G5 and Panny lenses, so I'll probably go back to Canon.
  18. sidfarkus

sidfarkus New to Mu-43

Sep 1, 2013
    I thought about a cheaper body but I like to do lots of RAW manipulation and I want the most competitive sensor I can afford. 650 or so is still much cheaper than any Canon body with a decent sensor (and it has IS built in!).
  19. seanho

seanho New to Mu-43

Nov 4, 2012
    Langley, BC
    Welcome to the forum! I think moving from Canon APS-C to m43 is a natural step; FF still has its place. I'm also a Canon user and haven't sold off my 5D and beloved 35L yet.

20. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Another one who sold all Canon gear for m43. No regrets.